Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stromberg's Gameart book

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    A small update on my forklift and f.e.a.r weapon.
    This is my first ever complete weapon and vehicle so there are some mistakes.
    I have a hard time figuring out what to do with the weapon.

I have a bug in toolbag, not really toolbags fault more my mesh, but if someone please can tell me how to fix it, it would help me a lot :)
    N7qjE.jpg

Assault rifle
    6EuXH.jpg
    fQjms.jpg

Forklift.
    DZu0Z.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oooo, I don't know too much about guns, but I think yours looks really nice :]

For the forklift I'd say try working on the textures a bit more, right now everything just kinda looks like flat color as opposed to metal, or paint on metal. Maybe pick a slightly noisier/more interesting metal texture (scratches and dents and whatnot) for the darker metal areas. For the yellow part, add some places where the paint got scratched off, maybe add some stickers/tape/labels, etc. And you need dirt - it's a forklift cmon! xD Add in crevice areas and around bolts and stuff. But nice so far ! :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I should have mentioned that I have just started with the texture on the foklift, lots left :)
    Will keep everything you said in mind ;)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe it's just me, but add an extra edge loop to the wheels inner part and pull them in to give em a little more depth. Other than that, great work Andreas! Keep going!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, keeps me motivated :)
    You are right they look to flat, will change that when I come home.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a really small update, have done a bit more on the forklift to, but nothing to show right now.
    Higher res render this time.
    Xsjwm.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby: I did change the lowpoly on the wheels, but I did go a bit to subtle on it so it doesn't show, so I practically just added more poly's, GREAT SUCCESS!

A really small update, forklift texture still wip no spec on it yet, small modeling changes on the rifle.
    Hope some of you will take the time to critic this, I really need it :)
    KUiBb.jpg
    1q7LJ.jpg
    DQRIB.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update, calling the forklift done now :)
    It took a few lifetimes to get done with it.
    A lot I could do different but I will take that with me to the next project ;)

So here it is and some other things I been working on.
    tDcgA.jpg
    qp8kI.jpg
    MzN3z.jpg
    sqJy0.jpg

Here is my first tree, I figured I should try making one, not very happy with it but it was a good practice for using tiling textures.
    tfB3e.jpg
    iLVZ3.jpg
    y5AYZ.jpg
    cqpMs.jpg
    gT6oq.jpg

Another thing I have been working on, concept mockup made by me, nothing amazing but I had to do this for fun, dead island kind of thing.
    Jf8EW.jpg
    9U3UT.jpg
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got some nice stuff here :) Like the Forklift Truck. Been working on one also recently. Just finished texturing it. Will post it soon :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart: Thanks, glad you liked it, I took a look at you model in the WAYWO thread, looks really solid you have surpassed me on the texturing.

Just a small model update, I'm not aiming for complete accuracy for this since I plan to complete it fairly quickly(believe it or not) ;)
    YX45x.jpg
    jrTFB.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, almost finished with the highpoly now, going to soften a few edges and a few more things.
    I would really like if someone had any tips on sculpting wood, cause right now it looks like a stone wrapped in cloth.

Also started on the lowpoly for the finished parts, currently at 976 tri's.

None art related but I finally bought a domain for my website/blog proud of myself ;)

If you have any critics please shout them at me :)
    5JLrr.jpg
    YODNz.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless anyone has any critics, I am finished with the high and lowpoly for this, uv mapping and baking next :)
    It's at 4668 triangles.
    Bm7mn.jpg
    FO6Di.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy again everyone.

I have not had time to do much during the last month, mainly because I was at the hospital the entire Christmas, so it took some time to get started with 3D again.

Really small update on the rifle, I would like some help with this since I can't tell what's in the concept anymore now that I am working on the smaller shapes.
    4eoLU.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow man your stuff has really progressed! your stuff is looking great, keep up the great work.

It would be great if you could take the skills you've developed and made an environment, it would really flesh out your portfolio :)

Cheers,

Arman
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae.: Thanks a lot, good to know I'm heading the right way :)
    You are right, I should do an environment.
    I'm just trying to finish up the projects I started, I try to get into that habit of completing things even if it doesn't end up as a portfolio piece ;)

Just wondering for anyone that reads this, what project on my portfolio is the worst, and should be removed first when I'm done with something new?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    That rifle looks great! Hope you are okay, what sent you to the hospital? :[
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, hoping to get the highpoly finished real soon :)

Well a few different things, but in the end I got type-1 diabetes.
    Glad I got to the hospital tough, I don't want to die just yet, want to get my first industry job before that ;P

I'm fine, not much I can do about so I'm all relaxed and healthy :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    The old cannon is the least interesting, i would say dump that, or redo the textures, the textures feel flat and lifeless, the materials lack definition, and the bright wood makes it look like a toy, instead of sunbleached old wood, its also looks brand new, the wood looks too fresh.

VisitToCastleSB_OldCannon_Side.JPG

Anyway, your new stuff is loads better and its easy to see the progress : ) I would do a second pass on that forklift though! It deserves a more interesting texture! Add some smaller decals, bolts, etc for fine detail, some better dirt and wear would probably help aswell. Like this for example:

Toyota_forklift.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer: Thanks for the great critics :)
    I agree with you, I did a bad job at both the texturing and uv mapping on the cannon, so I'll either remove it from the portfolio or redo the texture to make it look older.

And I am not happy with the forklift texture myself, it turned out really boring and I underdid the wear cause I did not want to go overboard so I went to clean instead, will try and get a second pass on the forklift done, I want it to look good :)

Critics like this makes it so much better for me, cause after I have worked on something for some time, I can't really tell what's wrong anymore.
    So keep them coming ;)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Also big tip I'll give you: watch out with your edge hardness/bevel sizes in you highpoly, you make them very sharp a lot of the time. I'd go over the rifle and soften it all up, as a lot of edges will barely be a pixel on your normalmap.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul: Thanks, I always have problems with that even if I try to remember it, as for the forklift I had to go back and soften up the edges on the highpoly before baking.
    I will soften up the edges on the rifle :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hy everyone, a little update from me.
    I will show more tomorrow from a scene I am working on, just wanted to post some now :)

Here is the bake, lowpoly with normal map for the bicycle seat weapon.
    GAqrC.jpg

Here is 2 rocks for the scene I am doing, HUGE thanks to Raul for teaching me how to texture rocks! :)
    He also gave me pointers during the sculpting process.
    lzHtu.jpg
    lt1Nf.jpg

More updates tonight :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update on this.
    vRlr2.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Nice man! Keep up the good work! That riffle is looking boss btw! There r a few areas that still look a bit too harsh, but man uve stepped it up a lot!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul: Thanks, will work more on the rifle soon :)

Started texturing this today, still early but critics are very welcome ;)
    pzhmV.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to rework the textures for the forklift I personally think it looks better, tell me what you guys think :)
    WMP1m.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I like it :)

However, I think overall it looks a little flat, and the metal isn't reading well. Is there a spec map? And the sides of the wheels look like they could use a stronger normal or more geo as well :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The forklift is looking nicer but as Swing said it needs a (noticeable) spec. The wheels look dirtier then the previous texture which is awesome, much more realistic, however while the rest of it looks quite dirty, the black beams over the roof area look a little to clean. I know there off the ground but i think a little scratch here and there will help
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both of you :)
    About the spec this screenshot is only diffuse and normal map, planning to rework the spec map soon, before that I need to figure out a few things and do some geo fixes.

cptSwing: Agree about the wheels lacking, going to change the mesh soon :)

Darkleopard: Will get some more dirt on the beams thanks for pointing that out, also I have dirtied up the wheels a bit more after this screenshot, mainly on where the threads are.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked the parts of the seat and wheels, also some more texturing.
    Qbbjm.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked more on the textures, diffuse and spec, still missing the gloss map.
    IBec1.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    that looks really good man
    really like the textures now
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    yeh, looks ace!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Much better :) good work!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :)
    Fun to be on the recap to ;)
    xYMqX.jpg
    Rest of the images can be seen on my portfolio.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work Stromberg, Been watching since the first post and you've improved greatly.

Can you share how you made these?
    Here is 2 rocks for the scene I am doing, HUGE thanks to Raul for teaching me how to texture rocks! :)
    He also gave me pointers during the sculpting process.
    lzHtu.jpg
    lt1Nf.jpg

More updates tonight :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Computron :)

Raul teached how to texture the rocks and gave me pointers on the sculpting process.

I will try and cover the modeling I did.

Since I had never modeled rocks before, I started looking for some videos and info on how others do it.
    Two youtube videos that helped me was these two.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auk3mKdKEwg"]Zbrush 4 quick rock sculpting with TrimSmoothBorder - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CttgDFcq0"]Zbrush Sculpting - Rock Plates - YouTube[/ame]
    Used most of the techniques from the first one.

Of course I looked for reference on Google and took quite a few screenshots from rocks in Rage since I liked those.

A few things I learned was go sharp, at first I tried not making the edges to sharp because of how it would look in the normal map,
    so my first tries where really blobby and looked more like a dirt ball than rock.

I had to do quite a few tries before getting on the right path, the first ones where just horrible but important to go trough,
    sculpt a rock then delete it, sculpt a new one delete it and so on, no one needs to see them they are for practice.

Did a timelapse of how I sculpt rocks, I just mess about until I find something that looks ok :P
    [vv]39161781[/vv]
    PSD File
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1506599/RockDiffusePSD.psd
    Brushes I use are the move brush, clay, claytubes, TrimSmoothBorder(Square/Rough alpha) and some of the polish/dynamic brushes.

For the lowpoly I was lazy, mainly using Pro Optimizer inside 3ds max and then going over and cleaning up some bad parts,
    after that I did the unwrapping, baked out normal and ao maps and then comes the texturing.

Sorry for the bad quality on the video, hope I can be forgiven :(
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    that new forklift texture is sexy yo!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the rifle.
    Tried to fix a few areas and add some things that where missing, still the edges are to sharp so I plan to loose them up after I have got some sleep and get home from work.
    mtt4L.jpg
    nMKLI.jpg
    Thanks Raul :)
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Man this is really cool stuff here! :D Who knew you would progress so much in such a shot period of time lol The forklift is great, textures are real nice. And the gun looks tip top, though a couple of details look a bit cartoony. Keep on it man!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov: Thanks, good to know I am progressing, hope to see you texture those awesome vehicles you have been doing soon ;)

Update on the rifle some small tweaks and some bigger ones, hoping to get the highpoly finished soon so I can start on the lowpoly :)
    xWC4Q.jpg
    fnF5Z.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    whats that smooth oval thing sticking out the side? it really doesnt seem to fit the guns style well. Love the forklift!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged: Thanks for mentioning that, tried to change it to more squarish to fit the rest of the gun, glad you like the forklift :D

Done some more on the rifle think I am near completing the highpoly now, unless anyone have some critics :)
    Did a paintover in photoshop to plan out where to put my poly's, I will probably go higher than what's here.
    q20KR.jpg
    4mRgR.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some work on the lowpoly, will probably change a lot before the end :)
    4KHp3.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    some nice progress and assets in here man. Subscribed! I will keep an eye out! You should put some pics from the thread in the first post... to hook ppl. ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley: Thanks, cool that you Subscribed :) I will update my first post with some more images, thanks for the idea ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the lowpoly, now at 6600 tri's I can afford a bit more and have yet to clean up a few areas.
    Comment if you see something :)
    oDpAB.jpg

A very quick and dirty test bake, no proper uvs or smothing groups set up yet.
    I4kbF.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    surprisingly decent for a quick bake, are you using 3ds Max with qualified normals and/or a viewport shader?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got kinda lucky I think, I am using xoliul shader 2 :)
    Hope I can get rest of the lowpoly done today, then do a quick bake of it all and move on to doing proper uv's.

Anyone have any opinions on the texture res I should use, I am thinking to go 2 k but don't know if I should go bigger.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did not get any work done yesterday, calling the lowpoly almost done.
    A few more poly's to waste and then I am doing the uv mapping, would be nice to hear what you guys think.
    7qq0f.jpg