Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Darksiders II 'Make A Weapon' Contest -- Q&A

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    adam wrote: »
    I would reckon this: Go ahead and enter the contest with that software. If Vigil is going to ask for your source art then it will have been run through licensed software before officially going in the game. Let them deal with that, not you ;)

Gotcha, thanks for clearing it up.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I'm curious but whats the reasoning behind the Facebook voting? From what I've seen a lot of contests held through Facebook have not turned out too well, it all comes down to who has the most friends/most viral entry not which is the most worthy. I would hope this is not the case with Polycount but I just wanted to voice my concern
  • Neongoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably a daft question but the pommel bounding box seems to be off-centre, is this intentional? Well excited about this competition!
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Neongoat wrote: »
    Probably a daft question but the pommel bounding box seems to be off-centre, is this intentional? Well excited about this competition!

Noticed that, am curious about that myself.

Somewhat agree on facebook issue, I really think facebook is probably the last place to get a fair outcome. I do understand the purpose behind it, publicity and marketing and all that.

I'd trust a polycount vote over a facebook vote to come out well anyday.

BUT!! Keep in mind that there will be pre-judging, so it's not like the facebook crowd will be able to pick one that's obviously inferior to everything else. I'd expect the judges would pick the best ones, and they'd be on a fairly even plane of quality. So not really too much of an issue.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a question too:

if say, the axehead of your axe meets the top of the bounding box, but exceeds the base of the bounding box, is that still acceptable?
  • _MarQueZ_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _MarQueZ_ polycounter lvl 5
    This is a really nice contest. I'm in :D
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Bobo: Can we get full length images of the weapons shown for these header images?

I think it'd be great for everyone to see certain weapons in certain styles so they have some extra foundation to start from with matching art themes.

Could we also get the names of each theme these weapons are using?

DS2_Polycount-PageBreak01.png

DS2_Polycount-PageBreak02.png

DS2_Polycount-PageBreak03.png
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May be a silly question, but concerning animations, should the backside of the weapon also be functional for violence? For back strokes and such?
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I'd like to see the proxy next to death (even if it's just a proxy of death), just to see the proportions. Say I'd want to add a human skull to it, I wouldn't want it to be tiny or huge compared to an actual human.
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There have been a few questions about the handle so far, but I have one more. I know the handle has to be straight, and it has to have pretty close to the same thickness...

My question is this: How much wiggle room do we have to adjust the LENGTH of the handle?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this more a request than a question, but it was said this is a two-handed weapon. Would it be possible to get a jpeg or something of Death next to the block-out? I'm having a little trouble seeing the size with the scale of each piece and it's making it hard to choose a weapon type.
  • Isobel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isobel polycounter lvl 14
    hehe no collaborations, but my collaborator would be my husband *evil pinky* no prize issues there hihi

(I'll be a good girl and try to learn modeling withing three weeks...)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    this more a request than a question, but it was said this is a two-handed weapon. Would it be possible to get a jpeg or something of Death next to the block-out? I'm having a little trouble seeing the size with the scale of each piece and it's making it hard to choose a weapon type.

This would be very helpful to get a sense of scale
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    DS2_Polycount-PageBreak03.png
    Just to clarify, that item in the middle there qualifies as an axe and not a mace, right? It could kinda go either way.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Viewport renders will be fine as long as they are simply Diff, norm, Spec (Emis optional)

Facebook voting is an opportunity for the Darksider community to contribute to this comp. Vigil will choose the top three finalists.

The pommel doesn’t have to be off center but if you are going to make it asymmetrically shaped it’s better to offset towards the back rather than the front.

You can exceed the bounding box of the head in any direction. Just don’t go crazy with it. :)

Haiasi: Sorry, those images are all I was able to release. But I can say the themes:
    Mace: KotD, Demonic, DS2 Core
    Hammer: Angel, Maker, Demonic
    Axe: Angel, DS2 Core, DS2 Core

The backsides of the weapons do not need to look like they do damage.

For weapon scale in relation to Death, check out this video that shows off a hammer:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0I8lVhggsU"]Darksiders 2 : Official Death Gameplay [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
    Go to the 1:14 mark. Our heavy weapons are huge!

For the handle, just get as close as possible on the thickness. If it’s a little thicker, or if it has pieces that break the bounding (like wraps or bone details) it will be ok. The length of the handle can be cheated slightly but not much.

Jackablade: yes that is an Axe, It’s a bladed weapon for slashing. Maces are blunt weapons for pounding (they can still have sharp details)

- BoBo
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Never mind I mis-read the comment.
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    The Live Stream has been posted:

http://livestre.am/1jy8H

- BoBo

This stream was freaking fantastic! I missed the first 15 min., so thanks for posting the recording. Can't wait to get started on thumbnails tonight. :D

During the stream you mentioned you might post a rune document on the forums somewhere (if I heard correctly). I checked the general forum's thread and this one, but didn't see it. Would you mind linking the post? :)
  • Devoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devoid polycounter lvl 17
    I mentioned this in the big news comments, but I'll say it again. People currently working at a game company should double check their contracts. Even though this is not for money, doing work that can have the chance to be in a different companies game is probably in conflict with a "non-compete clause" that may be in your contract. It's a shame, I love the style of these games and it would have been fun to enter.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Devoid, I assume the pro's do this stuff at home (not using company hardware and software), and you don't make money off it nor does Virgil try to steal you, so I doubt its a huge problem. But you are right, its good to inform yourself about these legal hooks, but I doubt its enforced on a contest.

edit: I have a question about the thread titles
    If you want to do 2 or even 3 weapons, is it preferred to put them in one thread (of so, how should it be named)? or is it best (in order for clear thread titles) to put them in separate threads.
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Are sword maces allowed?
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    EVIL wrote: »
    Devoid, I assume the pro's do this stuff at home (not using company hardware and software), and you don't make money off it nor does Virgil try to steal you, so I doubt its a huge problem. But you are right, its good to inform yourself about these legal hooks, but I doubt its enforced on a contest.

edit: I have a question about the thread titles
    If you want to do 2 or even 3 weapons, is it preferred to put them in one thread (of so, how should it be named)? or is it best (in order for clear thread titles) to put them in separate threads.

If you're doing more than 1 weapon, you are to create separate threads. Example, if I was making one of each (axe, mace, hammer), I'd have 3 threads that look like this

[DS2]Axe, artstream
    [DS2]Mace, artstream
    [DS2]Hammer, artstream
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    So just confirming that these should be big 2 handed weapons?
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    ehh yeah, check the video (posted a couple of posts above you) and the reference model downloadable from the contest page.
  • tsabszy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    sorry it may be a moronic question, but do you use color specular? or just grayscale? i couldn't really find any info reffering to it.
  • gauravcg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauravcg polycounter lvl 5
    I don't know if its the right place to ask this...
    How can I change my thread title?
    I edited the first post but it only changes the title in the post only not on the main forum.

Or if admin can change it that would be great.

Its, [DS2] Concept , gauravcg right now I want to change it to [DS2] Mace , gauravcg

Thanks in advance :)
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    I was able to find this image for scale ref

shbogabtha.jpg
  • Gill Bates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to find this image for scale ref

Thanks!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devoid: I’m still trying to see if I can release some of our Runes.

Pangahas: Honestly we have a preference towards weapons being recognizable as their weapon category; Axes should look like Axes, Maxes like maces, and Hammers like Hammers. That doesn’t mean you can’t do it but keep that in mind.

Orangeknight: Yes 2 hand weapons

Tsabszy: yes we use color spec.

I’ve had a lot of question about the proxy proportions. Please check out this thread for an Axe example:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95601

- BoBo
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    How strict is the polycount limit?
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I had a question about the hammers, Did these need to be a functional hammer on both sides? As in are there animations in which both sides of the hammer is used?
  • zeroSlave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun, nah. He said earlier that only one sided needed to be funcional for damage.

I asked in your thread Mr. the_seal but I figure it might be more appropriate here. What kind of leeway is on the y axis of the head bounding box? The hammer that Bryan Cavett posted in that pic ^above^ looks like it is 2-3 times the width.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How strict is the polycount limit?

In the video stream he said it wasn't very strict.
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    BoBo_the_seal: Currently, my axe design is based on the existing Fallen design from Darksiders. However, I looked at the contest guidelines and saw this:

"Design must be original and cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IP, or use of any image that you do not own."

So my question is will my current design/concept be disqualified? If it does then I'd like to know so I can get the ball rolling on something else. Thanks.
  • Miodnre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    In the video stream he said it wasn't very strict.

Bobo, how much is the tolerance ok ?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm sure he doesn't want to throw out an exact number, or else everyone is just going to try to meet that number.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I've had a look around and can't find an answer. (Sorry if I'm being blind)

Does anyone know whether the head of a weapon that is spherical or squarish has to stay within the constraints of the depth of the model (Example A) or if it's ok to make the head quite large and fit within the width all the way around. (Example B)

proxyquestion.png

Obviously I think if the maces had to stick to the constraints of example A they could be a little underwhelming :P
  • ZacD
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Thanks man, but this doesn't say anything about the depth of the proxy.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maces can exceed the width of the supplied proxy. That box mostly represents the hit phantom.

This was already answered by Bobo on the second page... please don't be so lazy and look through the thread before asking everything multiple times. 4 pages won't take too long to be honest. :)
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Thanks man, I didn't see it. I did apologise but I'll do it again anyway. Sorry bro!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    In the contest guidelines and on the livestream you mentioned that Darksiders Core is the only thing that can be mixed with the other styles, For my concept which is amazing in my head but horribly HORRIBLY drawn lol, Is it possible to have a skull in the style of Death's Mask in part of my angelic style axe?
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Here is an alternate pic to the one posted by Bryan Cavett ^ up there, but with most of the hammer painted out. Use the first one to get your scale right, and then this one to see what it looks like.

meg+ didn't want to compress it again. - Nevermind. Looks like imgur compressed it anyway and switched it to jpg.

2Wz8X.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I've got a question about content, maybe this has come up before. The last game was rated M, what about this one?

Would we be able to get away with little exposed demon boobies, for instance? I was kind of planning on those for a design of mine but realized they might not fly.

Thanks
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In any case, you could always use leather strips to cover up the explicit parts. :P
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a little more in depth of what the maker style is? as in made by this race or forged with such and such? any info will be helpfull!
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warotic wrote: »
    is there a little more in depth of what the maker style is? as in made by this race or forged with such and such? any info will be helpfull!
    Bobo goes into what makes up the various styles in his scythe sculpt video. I think it's near the end of the video.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Please take a moment to read this thread for the question you are proposing.

In an attempt to keep this thread as uncluttered as possible, we will be removing posts that ask similar questions to those that have already been answered, along with posts pointing out the fact that the question has already been asked.
    Thank you.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight: I’d say you have a couple hundred polygons to play with. Keep in mind that for you to place you will have to submit your art (only finalists). Polycount will be looked at.

Laughing_Bun: They do not need to have hammer heads on both sides. The biggest difference between hammers and maces is that Hammers are directional were as a mace can potentially do damage from all angles.

Laughing_Bun, the width doesn’t matter that much but I wouldn’t go wider in the y axes than the design has in the x.

Dvolution: As long as it’s based on Darksiders I don’t see an issue with it. Just don’t bring in anything from another IP.

Mathew: I would definitely not go any wider than you have in B

Dpaynter26: Go for it

Frump: we are M rated but no nudity please.

- BoBo
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hey Bobo I asked this question in your Axe thread but you probably missed it. I was wondering if my design below meets the scale requirements. You see if you hadn't given away the axe I would have said no but your axe pretty much says a big "f**k you" to the proxy.

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/proportions.png

Could you confirm this is acceptable?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi: Just bring the head down a bit. The head of the weapon should be centered in the box as much as possible.

- BoBo