[UDK] Small town

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
GaZcP.png
05axL.png
2frBG.png
hDxmT.png

I've been posting some tests in the WAYWO, figured at a decent point to start a thread.

The car is around 13k tris right now, I want to get it down to ~10k and I still need to add the seam bevels. I'm going to no normal maps on this guy besides maybe some in the interior...

Its going to be part of a larger environment, more updates coming soon, once I get this baby into udk.

Oh and um... tires.

od0Np.png

Kinda got some waviness going on, may fix that latter if its a problem in the final scene.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    strong start on the truck! i know it's not the most exciting prop in the world but a level designer would really find it handy, especially if it comes in a color-shifting material variation, a beat-up one, and on possible without its wheels on to be put on blocks in some shit kicker's front yard. if variety is the spice of life, variations are the spice of videogames :)

anyway strong start, keep going.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yes we like trucks ^^ Nice start on the truck and really nice work on the tires. Maybe not have black rims? If you're going to have that make sure that the material definition is frickin perfect else you'd be better of having a brighter color, a bit lighter maybe?

Good work so far!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Here comes the bevel and the initial plan for the scene for the scene.

XSgSN.png

lFGOo.jpg

I didn't have much free time tonight, but I figured I'd let you know where I'm going with this scene, I'll definitely play with the rims once I got the car put together in udk.

The truck was actually a fun challenge, something different that could end up in my portfolio.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    HAH! you found that realistic Simpsons scene. Those are awesome.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    wow....that Simpsons picture is excellent.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm being slow, working on some of the terrain props before blocking in the scene.

74Pi8.png

5VQXM.png

LfMuO.png

EFCvv.png
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, did you say "no normal maps" or is that a typo? Looking good so far.

Firs have very few needles on the main stems, only a bunch on the "capillary" stems. Also you'll want a lot less needles because this will filter out to a solid silhouette when you get it made into a full bush/tree.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, no normal maps on the body of the car, I'm trying to use this method for that, http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/11/17/behind-the-scenes-creating-cars-need-for-speed-run.aspx

You were right on the branch, I threw it into udk and it was way too solid once you started to back up, the needles are a bit thinner with the alpha map than they look because of the blur, so I was able to make it okay but tweaking the alpha and the mask clip value, but I'm definitely going to do one more bake once I get a whole tree in udk and see whats working and whats not.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great link! Added this to the wiki.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Are you going to aim for the same art style and colors? It would be pretty sweet if you could pull it off.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sadly, I'm not going for the same art style, just the colors and general mood and scene elements.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Playing with the block out and lighting,

YukEO.png

I know the trash on the ground is way too big right now, my main concern right now is filling up the scene and getting a good composition and an extra working angle or 2.

Also I want to get some subtle animations going on, I plan on having dripping water and a puddle, animated grass and swaying telephone pole wires and trees.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    mw0oO.png

Laying out the streets and such so I can finish blocking it out and start adding in trees and such. I realize I need a lot more poles now...

I have a functioning baked stoplight I'll have to show off once I get the actual models thrown in. it gives a nice slight color bounce to the car, also I animated the telephone phone wires with the wind modifier.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I finally got the truck properly uv'd for udk, but still the specular highlights are not baking very well, everything looks great before the bake, but some how the spec isn't matching up like the smooth body of a car should. The shadows on the bake look great, but that damn spec ruins it. I decided I'll just use mamroset for the portfolio screen shot, it does a great job with chrome anyway, I'm going to bake the AO and work on the texture tomorrow. Also I got a few new bugs to figure out with the geometry not displaying right on the tires with the normal map, and the glass freaking out, I'll try exporting from max and see if that helps.

Also there's some tiny geometry fixes that need to happen with the grill plate and wheel wells.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Updated screenshots

hdyxa.png

1ncpp.png

I'm going to try to finish the truck this weekend to add to my portfolio, then back to udk