Replies

• Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    This script is awesome! However I keep getting errors with it:

--Runtime Error: Attempt to access deleted scene object
    Line 226 is highlighted

I'm using 3ds Max 2012 sp2 with Xoliul's Viewport Shader 2.0 (which is also awesome). I thought I got it because I had hidden objects in the scene but I got it even with no hidden objects in the scene.

Any ideas?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice! Thanks a lot!
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    it really works well so far and I like it!!! thanks a lot!!!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    np guys,

teessider: i'm going to try and reproduce that error here, do you have any special objects in your scene? or a special material on one of them
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! Just found this - I used the old one all the time!!
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    awesome share! :D
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey man, its me again. im getting this error when i grab it with the SSAO and zdepth turned on. i believe i dont get this error when i only grab a vanilla viewport grab. it seems like its making a material for the other 2 passes but its not deleting them and my model ends up looking darker than it should afterwards. then i have to reset everytime. but the thing is...it actually saves the grabs. so it works it just messes up my materials on the model. help, please, thank you again very much.
    6730563081_5420df8e58_b.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx guys,

hey garriola

could you do me a favor and try adding the following line just above that line it crashes on

if isvalidnode m_scenematarr._object then

then press ctrl+e to evaluate the script and try capturing again.
    I'm sure it won't popup that error any longer but i'm curious if it restores your scene the right way.

tnx
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    it actually restores my scene materials, thanks!

BUT then i get this...
    6731666873_114f032dda_b.jpg

and it still saves my grabs so it still works, just the error is inconvenient. thanks again man!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah great that's all i needed to know i updated the script so that last error won't popup either. Max must be cleaning up some stuff behind my back in some versions.

you can download the updated script on the site.
    Teessider: this also fixes your problem

tnx guys
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    thank you thank you, ravenslayer, works like a charm. you are a crazy magician man! thanks a million!
  • pixelDomain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a great script, thanks for taking the time to make it AND maintain it!

I found one issue that I'm hoping is an easy fix:

When I render a single PNG image, the screen grab looks perfect, however, if I render a PNG animation sequence, the PNG images get much darker. Any thoughts?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx guys

pixelDomain: that's really odd, is it the entire png? and are you using crop on it?
  • pixelDomain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, after doing a little experimentation, I found that a PNG image sequence with alpha on makes the image really dark. When I turned off alpha, the PNG looked perfect. I tried the other image formats and found that only the PNGs had this issue when using alpha during an animation sequence.

I'm wondering if it's just me or if others had this same issue?

Thanks!

edit: Crop on or off had no effect.
  • pixelDomain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So no one else had issues with a dark PNG image sequence with alpha pass checked? If it's on my end I can try to figure it out. I could really use this on a project I'm working on, as it stands now, I have to render 72 frames as an image file...ugh....

Regardless, great script!
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    So... I finally finished my first proper model using the Xoliul Shader. So far everything is fine.
    Now I want to take some nice screenshots with a bit of AA. Ihave no idea how to get that, but the Grabviewport script seems to take screenshots with AA.

I opened Max, created a some standard geometry and tried to take a screenshot. I did NOT customize anything but the path for the images.When I click the save buton, I get this:

c11b92xzqb0cjayyj.png

Looks like other people get same errors, but I didn´t change anything, it´s just a standard scene : (

What am I doing wrong? It is Max 2009.

Thanks in advance.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    I get a bluescreen when I try to take a photo. Don't know why. I am simply trying to make a picture at 2x AA. When I try 4x AA I get an error in the script.

I use 3Ds Max 2012, xp, latest drivers (nvidia quadro FX 2700m).
    Any idea why?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    QuadroFX drivers are probably the culprit...
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops kind of lost track of this srry guys.

The darkening png i can't seem to reproduce over here
    c86g: i'll fix that tonight! tnx
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, curious if anybody has run across an issue when when trying to open the grabviewport menu. Whenever I open it though a menu or a hotkey it always freezes max. :(
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikonane polycounter lvl 7
    I have installed Windows 7 instead of XP now and I get this error, probably a pretty common problem? How do I solve it? It doesnt matter what is in the scene I always get this error:
    "Unknown system exception"
    3D_GrabViewport_25_1.jpg

Thanks
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    ah great that's all i needed to know i updated the script so that last error won't popup either. Max must be cleaning up some stuff behind my back in some versions.

you can download the updated script on the site.
    Teessider: this also fixes your problem

tnx guys

hey ravenslayer again.....sorry for the late reply but thanks (for the reply and making it) :)

it worked until today when I tried to use your script again (using 3ds Max 2012 with Xoliul's Viewport Shader 2.0) and I got exactly the same error as before on exactly the same line (226)

Also my actual PNG came up black and yet the rest of the passes (AO, Colour, Wire etc) came out as they should be. I've tried changing the size of the capture but it hasn't made a difference unfortunately :(

Once again thanks! :thumbup:

PS i tried your suggestion (with adding the extra line)...it didn't work :(
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Just thought I would bring something to your attention. I got a chance to try it out for my backpack turntable and I have to say I loved it. However when I setup a scene I usually create a camera and lock it for the view I want. When tweaking the ZDepth (I believe) it deletes my camera when I am done.

When I am not using a camera it creates one and then deletes it, which makes since. Works for me... but it would be awesome if it could pull out of a camera currently in use, create one, tweak the settings, and delete the newly created one.

Not sure if anyone else was having this problem but, it was the only issue I had :)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys tnx for the patience and reporting the errors,

jeremiah: i managed to fix the camera deletion and that should be working fine now with premade cameras .

Teessider: judging from the code it wasn't the latest version, try the new one i uploaded, it should take care of that error

c86g: stupid mistake i made but it should be fixed now

Pixeldomain: the png blackening is something i'm looking into. I think it has something to do with the dotnet image filtering i'm using but i'm not sure.

Ikonane: very strange i'm running the same setup, the error shown doesn't tell me anything about what could be wrong. It just stops at a default maxscript function so i'm afraid i can't do something about that. is there any more info in your maxscript listener?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since i had this open anyway i decided to add a No dialog option. If you shift click your grabviewport button it wil start saving your images using the last saved settings

So make sure you download the latest version if you want to use this.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I got the problem that Grabviewport is not including/saving the viewport shadows.
    I works till ~1000x1000 pixels. If i increase the resolution, it saves everything fine but without shadows.
    Is my system (graphic card) too weak? Is there a way to get my images with shadows?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what type of graphicscard are you using? 1000x1000 seems very small to be your max reso
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man,

Heres the issue im getting now :)

nvw0mc.jpg

It seems to capture one time just fine, but I get this error which closes max from then after. Its like im good for one shot only haha!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I get that too sometimes. It's basically when you push your computer too hard...
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn..........okay ill dial the graphics back to 8 instead of 19! :D
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah especially if you put the AA to 4x it will basically try to capture it 4x the size you entered as resolution
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, the AA is on 'none' I am only grabbing at 5000 wide. But np, I'll see if its better when I reduce the size.
  • Checko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checko polycounter lvl 6
    So no one else had issues with a dark PNG image sequence with alpha pass checked? If it's on my end I can try to figure it out. I could really use this on a project I'm working on, as it stands now, I have to render 72 frames as an image file...ugh....

Regardless, great script!

I have to agree, Great Script. I am having a problem however when I render out anything other then an image with anti aliasing set to 0, the result is a darkened screen grab. This happens when grabbing animations, or adjusting anti alias settings... Pretty much anytime anything other then a straight image with nothing else adjusted. I think this might be the same problem pixelDomain was mentioning.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey man, was wondering if you can help me out
    8491849104_1034ea74c8_h.jpg
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    hi!, thanks for such a useful script!

I made a thread about a problem i'm having with it, though... but I think I might get answered faster here, so sorry about crossposting:
    if I check x2 antialiasing, the final rendered picture ends up with the correct dimensions but noticeable shrinked horizontally, and if I try to render without antialiasing the result is a smaller (at least proportional) image than the size I specify.
    For example, if I set the size to 1920x888 I get a 1215x504 image. I tried using "crop", I tried saving to a different image type, and that dind't change the situation.
    I'm using 3ds max 2011.
  • polyquestions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi I am using 3ds MAX 2013 and the script opened up fine on the first go and was able to output a simple image. However proceeding tries after that result in an error: "-- Unknown property: "filename" in undefined" highlighting the line of code: m_viewportbmp.filename = m_bmpname

I would really appreciate any help as this would be extremely helpful to use. I've also tried reinstalling 3ds max and deleting and reinstalling the script files in both appdata and the main script folders. It is odd that the script doesn't even work any more on a reinstall of max. Please help!
  • AstraZeroZak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi I am using 3ds MAX 2013 and the script opened up fine on the first go and was able to output a simple image. However proceeding tries after that result in an error: "-- Unknown property: "filename" in undefined" highlighting the line of code: m_viewportbmp.filename = m_bmpname

I would really appreciate any help as this would be extremely helpful to use. I've also tried reinstalling 3ds max and deleting and reinstalling the script files in both appdata and the main script folders. It is odd that the script doesn't even work any more on a reinstall of max. Please help!
    Remove - C: \Users\
    \Documents\3dsMax\Grabviewport.ini
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    Any idea as to why i am getting black images :/
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I get really dark renders as well.