Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sukotto dude that guy is ridiculous, that's awesome Cactus hand, I've NEVER seen that...originality FTW

POW, Right in the kisser!
    ALWfaceoff.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Sukotto, that is really cool! I'd say the render is a bit dark and the materials not really defined, specially the metal on the revolver. Can ya show some texture flats?
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    topology woes... anyone got a better way to subdiv model thin parallel sections upon a curved surface?

8plQW.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    my first question would be

Would floaters do the job or do you really need it to be in the mesh?

Other than that, just use more subidivisions, create the baseshape with as few as you need, subdivide up to a level where you can add those indents without much chaning of the geo, collapse it and create the indents on this higher res geometry
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chielvl polycounter lvl 5
    A vehicle that flies over from time to time to create a more immersive feeling of a living world, and a raging war. Still need to figure out where to add details. It is nearly 6000 poly's already.

chronoshift-vtol-javelin.png
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    dtschultz: Thought I recognised that, looking good :)

Onilolz: Nice work

Getting back to my beastie. Been playing around with the anatomy trying to make it semiplausible. Got the oblique transitioning into the delts for the smaller arms, and the ab area as a second pectoral muscle (for the smaller arms again) using the buttom rib as a collarbone. Also added the wee abdominal legs.

Still playing around with the design some. Next I'm going to have a go a some new head designs, later want to see about incorporating more hard surfaces. Eventually want to sculpt this guy and maybe rig too.

creature7.jpg
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chielvl polycounter lvl 5
    Mongrelman; Very impressive, beautiful creature

Can't wait to see how it is gonna look in 3D. Are you going to animate it?
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    It's kind of just like a mutalisk without his tailmouthhole thing :p
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @SFThree, Thanks man, but I'm just modeling the concept from this guy: http://frogbillgo.deviantart.com/ And your Aztec lizard is looking awesome. Did you just paint those scales individually? Must have been time consuming

@felipe, yeah, I realize its kinda dark should've paid more attention haha. Yeah I need to work on the specular, though I tweaked it a little bit in marmo. Here's the flats diffusespec.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    cross posting these... any feedback?

door.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture02.PNG

Capture03.PNG

Capture05.PNG
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Reminds me of Bioshock, just with sharper textures.I like it so far :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use 100 quality jpgs instead for -0.01-2% quality and 80% smaller file size. so that the images load in a few seconds instead of several minutes.

Otherwise it has a very strong bioshock feel.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeedy, very bioshocky. I think increasing the contrast of the lighting and adding more colour with it could help give more depth and atmosphere.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Sukotto wrote: »
    @felipe, yeah, I realize its kinda dark should've paid more attention haha. Yeah I need to work on the specular, though I tweaked it a little bit in marmo. Here's the flats diffusespec.jpg

Hmm, well, the model looks good but the texture isn't doing it justice, definitely needs more love. Skin looks a bit pale, to be honest everything seems a bit desaturated, and materials like metal and leather could be defined a bit better. Get the textures polished and I think it'll look pretty awesome.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Edit: you could save those .png files as jpg quality 10 in photoshop and have them be 1.6mb smaller. Im still on awful internet and it took me like 2 minutes to load them in... Why waste bandwidth when you can get practically the same quality @ a smaller file size.

Dewdles

1026rakugaki.jpg
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    Use 100 quality jpgs instead for -0.01-2% quality and 80% smaller file size. so that the images load in a few seconds instead of several minutes.

Otherwise it has a very strong bioshock feel.

It took ~5 seconds for this entire page to load for myself(standard Comcast cable internet), so I don't think the quality of his images have anything to do with your long load time.

With that said, I kinda got a mixed sense of Bioshock and Batman: Arkham City(if you've played the game, it reminds me of the interiors of the museum).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    forest5.png

My current project, just reposting from my thread.
  • Roelant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked the past weeks on props at my internship. Maybe you guys have some feedback?

3d_metro_1.jpg

3d_metro_5.jpg

3d_soda_3.jpg

3d_soda_4.jpg

3d_box_1.jpg

3d_port_1.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @felipefrango: Thanks so much! I've been looking at this for so long its nice to have another set of eyes on it. I'll be reworking the texture soon. And I looked at the cowboy on your site and he looks awesome! He's pretty much how I want my model to look like :)
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys! working on a sc2 marine, got inspired by blizzcon. Sketched it out in zbrush and im going to start working on the high poly now
    marine.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Zacd, that's awesome. What are you making that in?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Sukotto wrote: »
    diffusespec.jpg

Try not to use black and white AO, put a colour gradient on the AO pass so the skins more of a red and the cactus pieces are more of a dark green or brown (whatever works best) etc. So when you multiply it will give you a much more vibrant pallette and you will get rid of those muddy shadows.

Its why painters almost never use black to darken their colours as it completely desaturates them.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    finally getting around to updating my portfolio, been working on these ones among other things.

prs_char1_04_facialgestures.jpg
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Dammit Chai ^ So freaking good!

Sooo yeah, just finished Glints UV~

UV-5.jpg

White_Glint_62-1.jpg
    (uni work is a bugger to keep up with so progress was slow)
    Ill resurrect the thread once Ive baked the high poly down ;)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Finished Low Poly for this guy. Sitting at 13.9k tris. Most likely wont be making much more progress on him as I would have to learn how to unwrap in Maya :poly122: Or just do it in Max, but haven't used it in so long ha.

But this guy was mainly just to mess around with HP stuff in Maya. And then I did the LP for fun, ha. Idk we will see I guess.

mechbotwire.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Dado: love it!!
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good Chai and Autocon!

Had some fun sculpting this guy in Zbrush last night -

creaturesculpt.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    posted previous work on this in speed sculpt thread. turned more into a project i guess. just trying to level up my char skills. going to start and focus more on the teeth tomorrow. using dynamesh for everything is so much fun.

skull07.jpg
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    A bit of texture and Normal Map baking practice.

Render1.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    RobeAndWizardHAT_Final.JPG

And cross bows

GD_CrossBows01_01.jpeg
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    @Alberto Rdrgz

i hope you dont mind me photoshoppin it a bit. the lighting is whats taking away from your work currently. everything looks freakin sweet, well done technically and visually sweet! heres the tweaks:

brought the contrast and brightness a lot more together. brightest brights and darkest darks (without pitch black) i also had to desaturate a little just to offset the fact that the contrast tweak made it very very colorful. more then i think you were intending. take the brightness i set with a grain of salt as well since its blowing out some of the details on the screen you would prob want to keep :)

screened a glow on the brightest areas and then screened in a blue tone color picked from your sky box. keep it up this place looks so awesome! hope this helps some.

02.jpg

01.jpg
  • Kudagras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kudagras polycounter lvl 7
    A couple of things I was working on recently.

Here is an entry I placed on 3dTotal.com for the latest speed modeling challenge. The challenge is to model something organic using either all inorganic things or a mix of organic and inorganic things within 90minutes.
    TechTree_Clay_TeLisaWarren_001.jpg

This was a bit of a kickstarter to rebooting my thirst for creating art I suppose.
    The wires:
    TechTree_Wireframe_TeLisaWarren_001.jpg

My latest touch up job the goat:

Goat.jpg
    Out of curiosity is 2 hours too long to update or rather edit the topology of a mesh of this magnitude? I am not sure per say.

[Edit]
    For some reason the first two images are links an no matter what I do they stay as such while the final image appears. They are all located at the same source. I even tried uploading the first two images to this site.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Putting together my portfolio... finally...

Anyhow, updating a lot of my work.

5800 polys currently. Shoulder pads aren't optimized. Should end up around 5000.

For the other details (joint ridges, vents, armor panels) I'm rendering those in one large sheet with the uv's laid out to guide me. I'll then cut those details out and apply them to the normal in photoshop. From there I'll update the spec, diffuse/AO.

sm_prev_01.jpg

I really like the look of Games Workshop's miniatures. Not a big fan of the "realistic" marines out there. I've collected and painted this stuff for years.

sm_prev_02.jpg
  • Kudagras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kudagras polycounter lvl 7
    Roelant wrote: »
    Worked the past weeks on props at my internship. Maybe you guys have some feedback?

3d_box_1.jpg
    Wouldn't the grain follow around the box? I'm speaking more for the box on the right side.
  • helldiver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kudagras wrote: »
    Wouldn't the grain follow around the box? I'm speaking more for the box on the right side.

Actually all of the grain should flow vertical like the box on the right side, as that's part of the box's strength. If they flowed horizontal, then a box would be crushed more easily when stacked.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    So Remember this guy? Here is my progress so far.

TugsyConceptS.jpg

P1c.png

P1a.png

P1b.png
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I'm not sure if this counts as a proper pimp, but it's what I've been working on... a Minecraft texture pack! :D!

Download and more pics here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/220918-16x19pre4-wayukian-pack-wipat-long-last/

screens_v3.1.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Reek- star wars creature, "re-imagined"(more rhinoish) for 3D Creature Planet #12" challange on CGhub.com that I didnt get to finish in time... ohh well maybe next time :) Timelapses here
    reekrhinoish.jpg
    reekrhinoish.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure if this counts as a proper pimp, but it's what I've been working on... a Minecraft texture pack! :D!

Download and more pics here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/220918-16x19pre4-wayukian-pack-wipat-long-last/

Been popping in now in then in your thread over at minecraftforums, it's definitely one of my favorite packs! :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    eld wrote: »
    Been popping in now in then in your thread over at minecraftforums, it's definitely one of my favorite packs! :)

I'm a big fan of yours as well, it's what inspired me to do mine! :poly142:
  • Z3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3D
    first steps in ZB4R2-D2

wall2.jpg

(:
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Autocon wrote: »
    mechbotwire.jpg
    this is excellent and all that, very ratchet and clank :poly136::thumbup:

however!
    how did you imagine that the eyes would be animated?
    I can fairly easily see him move around with those legs, even talk without a mouth but only with that mouthpiece thing.. but the eyes..?
    the way you've got them modeled now, just as a smoothed box placed into the mesh like that.. no thoughts of giving him eyelids that can be animated? maybe have his eyes be like camera lenses, that contract and expand the iris as he squints or something?
    I'd love to see something going into the eyes as they are the only part I can't see being animateable, and that would really be sad as the model looks - as I said in the beginning, like something straight out of ratchet and clank!

I mean, sure.. if it's a enemy npc just around in the level, then maybe you'd get away with just having a texture on those eyeballs.. even though the ratchet games have sweet-ly (it's a word!) animated eyes on all their enemies..
    but I can't see it holding up in a cutscene or anything like that.. and that is sad :(

anyways, this is frekkin awesome, and just made me think of doing something like it! got to scavenge google for some model sheets! :poly142:

edit: google showed me that this is actually from a R&C concept, cool! :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Haha sweet demon princess! i should test the latest version of MInecraft egain, haven't played since the beta :O

ok i put some more effort in shading and texturing, still a lot to do, but i decided for this time not to go the lowpoly ingame route, maybe i'll get tired of the ages renderings take and will go back to my comfort zone again but for now i like playing around with that :)

frenja___step_8_by_polyphobia3d-d4e34rv.jpg

changed some minor details on the model but worked mostly on shading and texturing for the skinshader.

and a quick update with an early hair test, i tried max hair and the hairfarm trial but the rendering times are just to insane for my taste, its just not good to work with - doesn't make fun at all :X
    so i decided to go for the classical approach, using planes - needs like 2-3 more :D
    still a bit too much color variation, worked better with a brighter and more blonde color, now the differences are just a tad too big

frenja_skin4.jpg

tweaked a few things like the lips, still the wrinkles are to heavy in the middle but its better now, thankfully baking the displacements doesn#t take that long in zBrush
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

P1b.png

Yes! His expression makes him come alive! Love it! :D

Here is my sculpt. I spent a couple of lunch breaks working on this dude and I hope there are any metal heads here on Polycount that can recognize this fella:

esGEi.jpg

Any crits? Suggestions? They are more than welcome! :)

Also, anyone heard Metallica´s album with Lou Reed? :(
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Neox wrote: »
    Haha sweet demon princess! i should test the latest version of MInecraft egain, haven't played since the beta :O

ok i put some more effort in shading and texturing, still a lot to do, but i decided for this time not to go the lowpoly ingame route, maybe i'll get tired of the ages renderings take and will go back to my comfort zone again but for now i like playing around with that :)

frenja___step_8_by_polyphobia3d-d4e34rv.jpg

changed some minor details on the model but worked mostly on shading and texturing for the skinshader.

Please, do share your lighting and material setup plez! I can never get anything out of Mental Ray that looks that good.
    Texture is gorgeous man, although the lips need more work. The cracks in her lips are a bit too much imho.

Also: Is the texture Photosourced, handpainted or both? :)
  • Fewes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fewes polycounter lvl 8
    Decided to run a couple of models through Marmoset while putting my portfolio together. It has yet to fail me.

svd.jpg
    trooper.jpg
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    Almost finished detailing this lamp post based on a concept from "Captain Blood." Many thanks to Jason Lavoie for letting me pick his brain on this. Still needs some ropes and skulls :-)
    cblampwip.jpg
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Autocon wrote: »
    Finished Low Poly for this guy. Sitting at 13.9k tris. Most likely wont be making much more progress on him as I would have to learn how to unwrap in Maya :poly122: Or just do it in Max, but haven't used it in so long ha.

But this guy was mainly just to mess around with HP stuff in Maya. And then I did the LP for fun, ha. Idk we will see I guess.

mechbotwire.jpg

Looking cool dude, but i still think you'd be better off sticking to how the legs work in the original concept. Yours are all backwards looking. There's also a subtle curve in the grill that gives it a lot of style that you're missing, looks real flat right now.
This discussion has been closed.