Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rubi Malone - Big Images

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    AWESOME post, thanks a lot. If polycount had a bunch of 'tutorials' like this we'd all be amazing artists :p
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    holy moly thanks for a peak into your workflow!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks so much to all who got something out of it, glad its being helpful at least!

I had the thought when writing it that actually it would be just a bunch of crap that noone would really give a shit about to be honest. My process is pretty organic so its really difficult to describe, and so many people do a much better job of writing how-to stuff.

I know its not a step by step ' oh this is how I model a head ' but this stuff is what I want to ask artists that I look up to, much more than asking them to show me how to do something.

vivin: Dude sumea, holy shit those were the days!! It could have been me I'm not sure! Just checking out your work now... holy shit dude!! pure insanity! badass stuff man! I feel like you flew under my radar.. are you a Kiwi like me ?

Scythe: Thanks man Ill attempt to explain more stuff about the hair and eyes in detail in part 2.

Thanks again guys, glad its prooving useful ill get to writing part two shortly.
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    Yep, Kiwi born and bred, I thought you were aussie? =P
    I didnt have much of a presence back on sumea, I was just some nub trying to break into the industry. Your crits and comments back then definitely set me on the right path thought, so cheers ^_^

And so I dont derail things too much, cant wait until part 2~
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah man, Kiwi - South Auckland hard!! I just had to escape NZ 11 years ago because it simply had no industry.... at all back then!... hmm MAYBE Binary Star ?! I think Weta wasnt even really WETA back then and i didnt have the chops to work there, probably still dont!! so my options where slim at best!!

I'm formulating Part 2....
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Well, it may be "organic" as you said, but in a way it's somewhat more helpful than a step by step tutorial, because we can read what your mind is like when doing this or that, the process of thoughts for going to one point to another, how, what, when and all those thing that aren't really explained in tutorial...how can I say it, the "feeling" of the process, I guess.

Anyway if you want some more question just wave here because I have tons :3
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! what are you using for your eye shader. that has me perplexed. good work by the way! and i agree on the mouth chin crit, that was a problem spot for me, mad her look like he was pulling her chin into her face a tad too much.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

Props to Scythe for finding this. This is the metal tutorial I mentioned in my first post. You can pretty much use this method to create any material you want from skin t tree bark to metal - IF your intended end result is supposed to look like whats commonly coined as 'realistic' this is a really good way to go about i think.

Scythe: Ask as many questions as you want man, its no bother!

Mrskullface: Im not using any special shader for the eyes man just straight xoliul 2.0 beta - it does a really nice job on eyes imo :)
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Tbh I already tried it and ...Gosh, this technique is the work of the devil and I just sold my soul to him. It's so amazing, can't find word :)
    You can get some nice result quite fast, but mastering it should take some time

Epic method is epic
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, I had no idea you were a kiwi, serious respect+100!! XD

I feel yah about the industry in NZ. Even theses days, things are looking pretty slim. Binary star went under a few years ago, which basically leaves a single game studio (Sidhe) and things are looking even worse in Aussie.

Cheers Scythe/Hazardous for the tut, I'm all for selling my soul to the devil if it means producing better textures :)
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome piece, man.

Thanks for the explanations too!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    climbing aboard for part 2 !
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe: Regarding your questions;

The hair and eyes stuff I'll explain more in part 2 :) Im almost done with it.

The Specular is something that I work on while im going along with the diffuse and though it doesnt really start to take shape until the diffuse is really starting to take shape. Its difficult to say 'heres how do you do it' because the specular is one of those maps that makes all the difference between a convincing materials and non convincing materials. The spec ( and gloss ) are really the heavy hitting map(s) that determine how your materials will interact with light.

For example, in default lighting conditions in max or maya when you apply a basic blinn to your model and turn of all specularity but then put a normal map on it - look how lackluster the forms are, they really lack depth and impact. But start playing with specular and that transforms things considerably.

I usually work my all my maps by material and layers in PS. So when im working on my skin diffuse layer, if i put some freckles or moles etc i can easily grab that layer, and work it into my spec layer for skin. And that process is the same for every material. So i basically break down my entire PSD into materials. Cloth, Metal, Leather, Skin etc

For my base polypaint - i dont actually use this in my base diffuse texture, but i probably could have in chun li's case. I've always started from scratch, but I'm working on some stuff right now that definitely will utilise my polypaint.

As far as tips / tricks / advice goes for people wanting to get a job as a character artist I'll refer you to one of my old posts here: http://hyperdivine.deviantart.com/journal/30393504/

Let me know if that satisfies your questions or if you were looking for something else :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    She looks awesome :) The face is great and I like the texturing. The only thing I see is like the tattoo looks more like a plastic sticker, like it's brand new or something. Again'; great stuff :)
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Huhu yah thank you for the answers :D Maybe you forgot to say you have to lay off a little when you feel frustrated, because working into frustration just gets you moar frustrations XD
    All-in-all it answers, I once tested the bliss of working there and I f***** want it back :D

Can't wait for part II then, thanks :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    still waiting on part two maaaaaaan!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay dudes, okay so part 2!!

(maybe more parts than just 2 as well… jesus christ! )

So firstly I’ll throw down some sensational reference material while I remember to share it - I strongly suggest picking these books up and bookmarking these sites if you really want to get into studying hair and the female face, and how makeup is used to either enhance / change the planes of the face or even completely eliminate some features! Along with all kinds of interesting theories and of course a lot of full page face close-ups.

Face Forward - Kevyn Aucoin [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Face-Forward-Kevyn-Aucoin/dp/0316287059/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315535834&sr=8-2[/ame]

Making Faces - Kevyn Aucoin [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Making-Faces-Kevyn-Aucoin/dp/0316286850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315535834&sr=8-1[/ame]

For Hairstyles I usually hit: http://www.ukhairdressers.com/ or http://www.hairstylesdesign.com/

Once you start really getting into all this, you start to get the sensation that all of these things more or less go together. Good makeup takes the natural features of the face and works with it, highlights the good parts and compensates for others. It works with the skin, eyebrows, eye color, the eye lashes, the shapes and contours of the nose, lips, brow, cheekbones etc etc and of course it’s all framed by a hairstyle.

So Hair....

Essentially a big part of the hairstyle choice has to do with the shape of the face, and the personality of the character. It’s a big silhouette impacter (I’m constantly making up words its epic), and can often be one of, if not the most standout and memorable feature of a female character.

So again go back into doing a craptonne of serious 'looking'
    Grab a whole bunch of possible hairstyles you like, then take a front view of your model and dump it into PS and start drawing some rough shapes to match the ones you like, you’ll quickly see that some hairstyles or volumes just work better than others mainly due to the shape of the face you chose.

face%20shapes.jpg

Once you’ve got your hairstyle chosen out, what I do is build a few rough shells in Maya to basically give an overall volume at the back front and sides it’s pretty rough really - feels dirty to show… but hey!

io3ngo.jpg

It really shouldn’t take long to build this stuff - just extrude edges like a maniac until you’ve got something you like - then throw it straight into zbrush and start smooshing those shells around to further shape it and move it into something more like you wanted. Once I get to that point with those basic shells, I move to the next level of detail and the front part of the face the fringe etc.

I basically make some smaller strands using the same edge extrude method - maybe 4 or 5 thinner wispier lengths and shapes to begin with and I throw those into zbrush and start duplicating and placing them around to build up more volume and shape - I prefer to do this in zbrush because is super easy to quickly shape all the strands by polygroup using the move tool.

While it looks like a huge jump from the last image to this one, it’s really not - it’s a simple process of taking a few more strands and duplicating, then moving them into place and smooshing them round - If you look closely you can see I’ve just duplicated the hell out of the same strands! The entire fringe is basically one strand, duplicated and moved, smooshed around, and same goes for almost all the rest of the hair volume.

The_Twins_Project_WIP_3_by_HyperDivine.jpg

It probably shouldn’t take more than a couple hours to reach this point if you’re in the zone.

Important note: In my infinite wisdom I didn’t actually realize until fairly recently that it’s a good idea to unwrapped those strands straight before you send them to zbrush and start messing with them :P So make sure you do that if you plan to use this as your final hair shape.

I’m not going to go into how to texture hair, there’s good tutorials out there about that – hell here’s two: http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/tutorial_how_to_paint_realistic_hair
    http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

The other thing I’d like to hit in this part is the eyelashes because they are essentially the exact same approach, I make one eyelash and then duplicate that in zbrush and place them around the lids. I haven’t yet actually attempted to go full on cinematic style so ill generally use a much thicker lash at the base and far fewer strands - as readability is generally more important than accuracy for a game style character, even for a next gen hero unless you’re getting RIGHT up close to the eye. I will typically only do this for an approximation to help get a better feel for the whole face in zbrush though, I will generally paint some eyelashes on to an eyelash shaped single sided plane for the actual game model.

Zbrush
    14ppw6.jpg

Game
    2ufufsm.jpg

Some important notes about this though, if you’re going to try go for all those strands in there, eyelashes always look more natural when they are kind of clumped together at the tips and maybe even like so:

brock_eyelash_360x270.jpg

I personally think it looks fake / weird / strange when eyelashes are all the same length, same curve, spaced out the same etc etc:

eye_lashes.jpg

Lastly the eyebrows are also a key part of what goes into making an attractive eye area, they can throw the whole package out of whack so easily (as can most of the parts tbh) thicker eyebrows can give a youthful appearance while thinner brows can often make the face look more mature. Getting the arch correct is another key too.

Some good info here as well as the two books I mentioned at the start.

http://www.publishersvault.com/best-way-to-shape-eyebrows.html

Nice Eyebrow :)

Get-Your-Life-and-Brows-Back-in-Shape-with-Eyebrow-Shaping-Tips.jpg

Lastly here is an awesome reference for crazy eye makeup:

http://hedwyg23.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'll go into how I tackle my eye textures in the next part..... but again if there’s any q's fire them out. I think I will eventually convert this stuff into some PDF's or something....
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    wow :) this is very very helpful. Thanks again for all of this.
    Edit: just ordered "Making Faces - Kevyn Aucoin"
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    You sir, are a tremendous individual. The insight and advice in this thread as well as where you've given it in the past, have been incredibly helpful and motivating.

• vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like I checked Polycount just at the right time ^_^ Thank you kind sir for part 2 /bow
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Do you just use the move brush for positioning the hair? There are a few like move part where you it moves each strand or elastic where it stretches.

As always thanks for sharing!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Hey dude, your work is awesome and I'm extremely grateful for the tuts! Lots of great info and I feel myself improving already.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i just tweeted this.

o/
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for this. I'll be using this as a guide for a long time.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    question:
    how do you deal with alpha sorting? or do you have hair set to alpha test?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    This is some really insightful information. Very much appreciated! It's not often we get an inside look at a great artist's approach to certain things.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys im glad someone finds this stuff useful. :)
    LRoy wrote: »
    Do you just use the move brush for positioning the hair?

I use the duplicate / move, rotate and scale tools in zbrush to place the strands and then the move tool to finesse each strand into place.
    There are a few like move part where you it moves each strand or elastic where it stretches.

google translate or.....?
    question:
    how do you deal with alpha sorting? or do you have hair set to alpha test?

I will usually sort the hair manually.
    Sounds scary.... and it is. Yup I sort each piece from back to front by hand, in max. There is actually a shorter way to get a pretty good result in max but it requires 100% self illumination - basically apply a standard shader to your hair, 100% self illumination and flat diffuse only (no normal) that will give you nicely sorting alpha hair planes :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thank god in UDK i can tell it to sort automatically from inside out! there's usually the odd strand that needs manually sorting, but it's pretty quick.

someone seriously needs to make a tool for max that lets you sort hair easily/quickly.

awesome job though man, as always! looking forward to november ;)
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Once you’ve got your hairstyle chosen out, what I do is build a few rough shells in Maya to basically give an overall volume at the back front and sides it’s pretty rough really - feels dirty to show… but hey!

I knew you'd start to love Maya eventually! :)
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Extremely helpful info Hazardous, can't thank you enough!
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Iiiiiiincredible part, as expected ! Really helpful, I love how you do the eyelash and the hair. Really sounds scary when I read you actually unwrap the hair after moving them :D

I thought about the idea of putting the whole thing into a good pdf with the images and all too, if you need some help, I'll gladly help

Then again..Can't wait for part III
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    another question:
    how easy/hard do you find it to remain within a polygon budget with this method of hair?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Damn, Troy, there's a fantastic transvestite dying in you with all this amazing knowledge:) jk. you have my endless gratitude for doing this, man. thx
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)
    haikai wrote: »
    I knew you'd start to love Maya eventually! :)

I'll call it a fling, a one night stand, in and out burger style!!
    another question:
    how easy/hard do you find it to remain within a polygon budget with this method of hair?

Its acually really easy man, just scale it as far or as little as you need. You can take the same approach with as little as 250 - 500 tri budgets and up. Just keep it in mind when you first set out and you should be totally fine.

Typically i think a good rule of thumb is to use about a 3rd of your budget on the head / hair of a girl :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah lol, what i'm working on atm has a budget of 15k tris for the whole mesh, so i just made 3k worth of hair...
    http://crazyferretstudios.com/public/hairlawlz2.jpg

:D
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10

google translate or.....?

Oh wow I forgot how to speak english. I meant in Zbrush there are different types of move brushes (Move, Move Elastic, Move Part, etc.) Do you only use the basic move brush?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow I forgot how to speak english. I meant in Zbrush there are different types of move brushes (Move, Move Elastic, Move Part, etc.) Do you only use the basic move brush?

Haha its okay! I was reading it over and over trying to figure out what you meant, but i couldnt get it! I only really use the standard move tool - the other ones could well be better!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks to your guide, i made this in super fast time :o
    test_hair_anim.gif

much love Troy :D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There you go man :)
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incredible! I adored part two, I will be using your method for ages.

I'm just curious, is there a reason to why you make the base hair strands in Maya?

Seeing as you're a native max user (?) this intrigues me.

Thanks,

- Andr
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Can't wait to try your hair method for my next work, but right now gotta finish what i gotta finish Y.Y

almighty : Man, looks great !

I'm sure combining the help for the skin and the help for the hair we'll get to create tremendous faces ;D Can't wait for the eyes. Hazardous, sir, you....well you just rules
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    The_Twins_Project_WIP_3_by_HyperDivine.jpg

"how YOU doin'?"
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Yo Hazardous, I wanted to know, maybe you didn't see it. I have quite the free time these days because of rendering :ssss. Want me to repack your info and images in a pdt (wouldn't take much time :o) I thought about doing it before but I ain't gonna do it if you already started working on it :)

That, and I love the way you sculpt lips, it makes me want to bite them
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo man, its all good im going to compile this into 1 big nice PDF as well :)

Thanks for offering though I appreciate it!

Final part coming soon :)
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hur hur, okay :D can't wait
  • MFTituS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MFTituS polycounter lvl 6
    hey jon,
    fucking great stuff. and thanks for all your explanations and steps - i will have to study them carefully. can*t wait for your psd to have all your infos collected together.
    like your skin very much and haircut is nicely done.

just some additional thoughts:
    -noise is a bit too extreme. i would vary it for the different parts.

-the full cloth version works best for me; nice distribution of shapes and colors and her red top is mostly hidden - something feels wrong with it. the thickness is too strong and the structure doesn't feel right. it is just random noise. on this high detail level you are working you should really care for materials and tiny structures. her top has the same structure as the leather.

-same problem with her tattoo. it doesn't feel like tint on/ under skin. skin pores should be visible and the paint is too perfect and clean so it looks like a sticker for me. if you look how gradients and colors are mixing - it is hard or imposible to achieve a nice unified look with an electrical moving machine on an uneven skin pattern.

-her face looks a bit normal and unspectacular, even a bit clumsy especially in your beauty shot. nice contrast with her eyes but some stronger recognisable marks on her face would push the design more i think.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MFTitus: Dude thanks for your honest thoughts always appreciated! I do agree with all of the stuff you mention there - but as the piece is a couple years old now, im not going to go back and work on her again - will tell you more on our next skype chat!

Speaking of which, we need to get together and have one of those again real soon man :)

So I haven't forgotten to finish up part 3 of this tutorial - but ive just relocated from the US back to Australia - and now awaiting my machines to arrive. Promise ill have it all done when that happens... even though they are not due for another 3 - 4 weeks!!!
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, how the hell did I miss this? She looks awesome :O I can't wait to see the final part; really inspiring stuff.
  • Ampaist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damm this should be added to PC wiki i swear i didn't expect to learn anything from thread. sweet as work, thanks for sharing :)