Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MY new Animated SHot

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
HI Guyz, I am New to animation and i animated a small shot in 3ds max. I know most of the People will Not like it Coz the animation's bad, no story Line ... but i just wanted to show what i made in a day so May people help me to improve my animation...
So check it out Please..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnsV1RJ9_5A[/ame]

CHeers

Replies

• winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see you have some problems with weights, arcs, stifness, anticipations (Anticipation can be the anatomical preparation)... I recomend you to train a bit on ball bouncing first if you didnt. Then train on poses. Poses are the most important in animation. If you know how to pose character, then you can be a great animator! Because if you know poses good, then you can learn all other principles easy... But train on weight... Try to make animation how to push weights... It help very well in animation... Otherwise, you know how to timing well. Dont worry about timing, cuz you already reach good result...

The key in animation is: Be patient, have goal, you must know that without animation school it takes longer to reach professional result, because you dont have a mentor who guide you, but it is possbile!, have motivation, do some sports, run, be bruce lee of course in animation:), you must know that animaton is probably the most competition job, but if you ready to fight, do it! and you will sucess if you love it! cheers!
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, Umar! Nice try so far, but like you and Winternights said, there is always room for improvement :)

Basically, I pretty much have to say the same thing as Winternights did. I think you should first try simpler things than a fight, or similar actions and movements of such complexity. I know that in animation, one always wants to do the "cool" stuff and that animating.. balls.. can be a dreary process sometimes.:D

I suggest you start with a bouncing ball. Let that ball bounce up and down! You will see that soon enough you will start understanding weight a bit better and you will also learn to handle weight a lot better. Animation is, like many things, a very time consuming learning process. Even when one thinks he starts to have an eye for locomotion and what not, there is at least a dozen other things he can learn, improve and/or understand.

By starting off with a fight animation, you basically get overwhelmed by the amount of things you have to watch out for, resulting in rather plain and unrealistic movements, at least that happened to me :D. You then have to pay attention to weight, anticipation, arcs, a good interaction between the characters, timing and a whole bunch of other things. But! If you first animate balls, you can really concentrate on weight and movement.

Also when doing the first animations, like bouncing balls and later on walks and similar stuff, make sure you make them "vanilla". Which basically means, no personality, no emotions, just a "simple" bouncing ball, later walk, later weight shift etc. This will help you a lot, since you can concentrate on the movement itself, without bothering your mind with additional movements that display and support emotion and personality. In addition, you don't have excuses like: "well.. he walks like that, because he's tired and angry..." :D

Watch a LOT of reference materials. Stuff like videos of balls falling, later on parkour videos, videos of people walking. If you can't find videos, make them yourself! Film yourself and watch. There is so many things you can learn, by watching a small video of you doing something. How does your hip rotate, when do you move your foot, when do you twist your chest, how much do you twist it?

Buy this book, if you don't have it already. Its simply one of the best books i've ever seen when it comes to animation:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571238343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314887694&sr=8-1[/ame]

So, how about you make some balls bounce? :D

Your timing is pretty good though already :)

Keep it up and you will will kick arse!

Hope this helped :)
    cheers
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx wrote: »
    Hey, Umar! Nice try so far, but like you and Winternights said, there is always room for improvement :)

Basically, I pretty much have to say the same thing as Winternights did. I think you should first try simpler things than a fight, or similar actions and movements of such complexity. I know that in animation, one always wants to do the "cool" stuff and that animating.. balls.. can be a dreary process sometimes.:D

I suggest you start with a bouncing ball. Let that ball bounce up and down! You will see that soon enough you will start understanding weight a bit better and you will also learn to handle weight a lot better. Animation is, like many things, a very time consuming learning process. Even when one thinks he starts to have an eye for locomotion and what not, there is at least a dozen other things he can learn, improve and/or understand.

By starting off with a fight animation, you basically get overwhelmed by the amount of things you have to watch out for, resulting in rather plain and unrealistic movements, at least that happened to me :D. You then have to pay attention to weight, anticipation, arcs, a good interaction between the characters, timing and a whole bunch of other things. But! If you first animate balls, you can really concentrate on weight and movement.

Also when doing the first animations, like bouncing balls and later on walks and similar stuff, make sure you make them "vanilla". Which basically means, no personality, no emotions, just a "simple" bouncing ball, later walk, later weight shift etc. This will help you a lot, since you can concentrate on the movement itself, without bothering your mind with additional movements that display and support emotion and personality. In addition, you don't have excuses like: "well.. he walks like that, because he's tired and angry..." :D

Watch a LOT of reference materials. Stuff like videos of balls falling, later on parkour videos, videos of people walking. If you can't find videos, make them yourself! Film yourself and watch. There is so many things you can learn, by watching a small video of you doing something. How does your hip rotate, when do you move your foot, when do you twist your chest, how much do you twist it?

Buy this book, if you don't have it already. Its simply one of the best books i've ever seen when it comes to animation:

http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571238343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314887694&sr=8-1

So, how about you make some balls bounce? :D

Your timing is pretty good though already :)

Keep it up and you will will kick arse!

Hope this helped :)
    cheers

Your words were so help full and i Liked that you suggested me and helped me a lot but i was able to make a Good ball bounce in my first tries and a good animator (On Fb) apporved that.. So i left the ball.. If you want than i will post i here ............
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somethings to remember. Take things in baby steps. If you feel you have completed a good ball bounce, do it again! Try diffent timing, texture, feeling. I dont think you are ready to tackle full on character animation yet.

Take it 1 small step at a tim
  • SurrealPsychedelic
    Some of his more major movements (his punch and throw) are a little stoic and the follow throughs are going too fast. I think a few more subtle changes in his anticipations and arcs would improve the animation.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtOfBrad wrote: »
    Somethings to remember. Take things in baby steps. If you feel you have completed a good ball bounce, do it again! Try diffent timing, texture, feeling. I dont think you are ready to tackle full on character animation yet.

Take it 1 small step at a tim

Thank you ArtofBrad.. You have much experience of animation..and if you are saying that i still need to deal with balls then i will retry..
    and i will post a my new animation soon so Also Give Some critique on it ....Hope you like it