Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better, but ditch the wood grain. Most wood in TF2 weapons doesn't have grain to it.

Also, the front view of the chambers should show the bullets, no?
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    I have a question.. I've never dealt with jigglebones before and I'm wondering if you can use them to make an entire part of a hat/item jiggle up and down without the part actually being jiggly itself. Is this possible? I'd like a part of my item to move around as the character moves without it actually being jiggly in form.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ I have no clue what you're trying to say.

Why don't you start by describing what it is you're trying to make.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dinksink
    that sandvich is excellent
    @Gryoss
    Interesting pack, what inspired it anyways?
  • Blue Paratroopa
    @Habboi That is looking really good man, I like the shotgun a lot. And the melee is a clever idea.
  • roninsmastermix
    @SgtNasty - Lovely gun. Too detailed for my standards though.

6098452505_a4fe1ef09f_b.jpg
    I've been awfully busy these past 2 days and just now been able to update this melee.
    • Made the rims smaller.
    • Added a nick on the rim for deliberate inconsistency.
    • Retooled the phongmask to make only he scratches shiny.
    • Changed the tank color to the degreaser's red hue.
    • Repositioned the handles and bolts a bit.
    • Watched X-men:first class. X-men franchise redeemed. (Thank you Brian Singer)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I have a question.. I've never dealt with jigglebones before and I'm wondering if you can use them to make an entire part of a hat/item jiggle up and down without the part actually being jiggly itself. Is this possible? I'd like a part of my item to move around as the character moves without it actually being jiggly in form.

The jiggle bones have settings in the qc file. Quite a few properties can be adjusted.
    Stiffness, damping, etc...

So they can move just a little, or bounce all over the place.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$jigglebone
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    ^ I have no clue what you're trying to say.

Why don't you start by describing what it is you're trying to make.
    I apologize, I should have made it more clear by explaining what I'm trying to do. I want to model marionette handles as a misc item for the Halloween items. I made a diagram to explain how I want to use jiggle effects.
    HP1kq.jpg
    I'd like the wooden boards that comprise the handles to keep their rigid form but bounce up and down(and back/forth) as the character moves/jumps around as if they are levitating above the character. The strings would just jiggle/move around depending on how the boards bounce.
    Baddcog wrote: »
    The jiggle bones have settings in the qc file. Quite a few properties can be adjusted.
    Stiffness, damping, etc...

So they can move just a little, or bounce all over the place.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$jigglebone

I'll look into each of these properties when I get to this step, thanks.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that would be one jiggle bone for the wood, and one jiggle bone per string if you want to be accurate, but could probably be condensed into one bone. however, you'd need to skin the strings to the various skeletal bones of the pyro. but yes, that should be doable.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    I apologize, I should have made it more clear by explaining what I'm trying to do. I want to model marionette handles as a misc item for the Halloween items. I made a diagram to explain how I want to use jiggle effects.
    HP1kq.jpg
    I'd like the wooden boards that comprise the handles to keep their rigid form but bounce up and down(and back/forth) as the character moves/jumps around as if they are levitating above the character. The strings would just jiggle/move around depending on how the boards bounce.

I'll look into each of these properties when I get to this step, thanks.

On the wiki jigglebone page badcogg has linked, look for "has base spring". This is what you want. My 2 cents on how it might work : one bone for the wood, this is the one that "has base spring". Then, if each string is attached to the wood model, then rig just the end of them to the pyro's bones, and they will deform according to the bouncing of the wood, with no other jiggling needed.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

mm_new_tex.jpg

The upper most screw, if long enough to actually hold anything together, would stop the hammer from moving... Maybe move it to the top back of where the handle meets the body. Also second that the indents on the chamber need to be polygons and not textures.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Guys I have a question for the granade launcher:

I can model a new grenade for it or it have to use the standard grenade?
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the tips guys! Once I'm done with my current TF2 project I'll see what I can do on the marionette idea with the advice you guys gave. Like anything with this stuff it is probably a lot of trial and error to get things right. Thanks again
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    The upper most screw, if long enough to actually hold anything together, would stop the hammer from moving... Maybe move it to the top back of where the handle meets the body. Also second that the indents on the chamber need to be polygons and not textures.

To be honest, I find the barrel to be the most offputting part, it looks like the barrel of an M15

:/

ca-m15a4-ris.jpg

Finally submitting my pipe for the demo but I have no idea about names for it??

Also I'm just uploading a zip with an obj and a zip with the .psd of the texture and the .psd of a bump map, is that what I should be doing?

jstcz2.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almost done with the model. Area in front of the thumb needs some work, then on to the uv and texture.

2692 triangles.
    life-o-suction_wip_05.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_06.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_07.jpg
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if it gets good stats, I'd use it! :D
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basic colours. don't like the orange cable --as that's engy territory-- i'll probably make it black instead.
    Name: "life-o-suction": its a wordplay on liposuction.
    The double syringes look like vampire's fangs, which actually wasn't intentional or planned in any way, but fits the general concept of sucking life out of people.

It's basically the vampyric syringe gun but for melee, who's name escapes me at the moment...

4812 triangles. I think it's fine. Now to uvmapping.
    life-o-suction_wip_08.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_09.jpg
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to redesign the handle, instead of just copy/pasta'ing the Bonesaw.

*EDIT* ON closer inspection, it does look like you modeled the handle from scratch. Still, it's way too similar.
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew, there really are some fantastic items in the making right now! :poly101:
    i especially enjoy the Demo gill-man suit! Really, very well done!

i resumed working on some TF2 items recently and thought i give you an update.
    i started with a Engi Flatcap i planned to do for quite a whyle now.

The FORGERS FLATCAP
    flatcapsample.jpg
    Model @ 730 Tris
    Normalmap @ 256 Pix
    Color Textures 256 Pix
    Paint Alphas @ 256 Pix

i also updated my TECHWIZARD
    techwizardv2.jpg

i removed the dazzling stars and added a paint style to either paint the hat or the band.
    Sure have my fingers crossed for this years Halloween update. :)

Some more paint examples:
    techwizardcolors.th.jpg

Furthermore, ive been working on some styles for my Reggaelator.
    reggaelatorstyleupdate.jpg

(Been mostly concerned about the paints workin properly)

The *Swatch' style aproch i took was somewhat interesting and i wanted to share it with you.

i found this image while googlein for references and wanted to create a style evry much like this:
    refx.png

But i still wanted the style to be paintable.

Since there is a paint in tf2 which is very close to the brightest color in the reference (Australium Gold ) i went in PS, filled a layer wiht that color and reduced its opacity it in different strength.
    i then created color layers below it and tweaked the underlying colors until the combination approximately matched the colors of the original referennce.
    So i was able to see that purple + 50% gold overlay gave me the orange i was goin for ect.

Heres the style with 'Australium Gold' applyed:
    swatchgold.jpg

Admittedly, the base color sheme looks a bit odd but you now get a different color mix effect from it with every applyed paint.
    swatchcolors.jpg

(Only black and white does not work very well ... so, just dont use it!) :)

This method certainly could be taken further and i hope you can use this to create some interesting new paintmasks.

And finally, a Halloween mask i finished this weekend:

The GIMP
    gimpfull.jpg

Supposed to be applyed in the 'Misk' slot and woren with hat.

Some paint smaples:
    gimppaintsamples.th.jpg
    (Top-left is the unpainted mask)

Hope you guys like some is the things.
    Keep up the great work!
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @genic : WOW, you're an awesome texture artist, that's for sure. Really love the engie cap and I'm impressed by all the styles you could come up with for the demo.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • ZEROresolution
    I saw this on the web and I thought because of the insanely massive scope it would work pretty well for the sniper as a semi-automatic weapon.

tf2_weapon_design_by_zeroresolution-d3jwgav.jpg

I don't have anything to use to make a 3D model so it's just a concept for now.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the black lines on the money would be problematic in game, they should probably be spaced out more or just changed to be 1 shade of grey instead of black lines

and I still need help naming this guize

jstcz2.jpg
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw this on the web and I thought because of the insanely massive scope it would work pretty well for the sniper as a semi-automatic weapon.

tf2_weapon_design_by_zeroresolution-d3jwgav.jpg

I don't have anything to use to make a 3D model so it's just a concept for now.

Looks like a cool gun! You might want to exaggerate it a little bit, just to make it a little more in-style. You could lessen the amount of cords and cables to make less detailed areas, maybe make the cable 1x thicker and the magazine about 2x bigger. And the scope could be squished in a bit to seem a little more stylized. Hope that helps.
  • ZEROresolution
    Flat Face wrote: »
    and I still need help naming this guize

jstcz2.jpg

Bubble and squeak???

Apocol0id wrote:
    Looks like a cool gun! You might want to exaggerate it a little bit, just to make it a little more in-style. You could lessen the amount of cords and cables to make less detailed areas, maybe make the cable 1x thicker and the magazine about 2x bigger. And the scope could be squished in a bit to seem a little more stylized. Hope that helps.

Sure dose, I'll try and get around to that.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_money_launderer_by_facepunchsexyrobot-d48ftc1.png

Done with this.
  • SaltyMcShivers
    @Sexy Robot: Looks great. It will be interesting to see what it looks like during consumption.

With Halloween around the corner, I'd thought I would try to model something.

BatHatFront.png

BatHatSide.png

BatHatBack.png

There are some things I need to fix on it (i.e. The bat wings should be curved by default, even though they will be jiggleboned), but I am torn about making a head (so it looks like it's biting into the Scout's head). Should I have a bat head? If so, should it be Wide or narrow?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First texture pass.

note: model & uvmap are mirrored for double the pixel density \o/
    life-o-suction_wip_011.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_013.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_012.jpg
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @genic
    I have to say that is some excellent work. I still love the Techwizard, and the gimp... wonderful.
    @SaltyMcShivers
    ♪ Won't they be impressed, I am a genius
    See how I transformed this old rat
    Into a most delightful hat. ♪
    ♫ Hmm, my compliments from me to you
    On this your most intriguing hat
    Consider though this substitute
    A bat in place of this old rat. ♫
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot: Looks great. It will be interesting to see what it looks like during consumption.

With Halloween around the corner, I'd thought I would try to model something.

BatHatFront.png[IMG][/img]BatHatSide.png[IMG][/img]BatHatBack.pngThere are some things I need to fix on it (i.e. The bat wings should be curved by default, even though they will be jiggleboned), but I am torn about making a head (so it looks like it's biting into the Scout's head).  Should I have a bat head?  If so, should it be Wide or narrow?

Please make a head ! I wanted to do this but I just couldn't make it cool enough myself :P

And make it all-class too, please :D

@genic
    ♪ Won't they be impressed, I am a genius
    See how I transformed this old rat
    Into a most delightful hat. ♪
    ♫ Hmm, my compliments from me to you
    On this your most intriguing hat
    Consider though this substitute
    A bat in place of this old rat. ♫

EXACTLY ! <3
  • delectablejam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

I love the artwork here.

I've been lurking around this website for awhile now and have finally decided to post something...

Hats!

brainstorm.jpg
    clochen.jpg

@genic: That flatcap fits the engie so well.

@roninsmastermix: Landing gear as a melee weapon, so freaking creative!
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    @Genic, god damn all of your models and styles are awesome.
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone done any tramp/hobo stuff? Just thought of a set idea for demo.

Bindle or a bottle in a paper bag melee
    Wornout shoes with toes sticking out
    Trashcan cover shield
    Wornout hat (gibus would have fit right in, but it's already made)
    Beard and moustache misc?

Really have to start to learn modeling...
  • erikrotable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @V6th would fit sniper IMO
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    @eedobaba7726 - Hey man. I could be talking out of my ass, but I think it you simplify the gun's shapes and maybe shift a few hues it might read and fit better. Here's a painty:

gunPaint.jpg
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hand Sandwich, Maybe I'm easily impressed, I don't know, but... Your avatar just blew my mind x)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Heavy got inked, other classes in progress. Trying to go old school on these. (Sasha has been moved up, the elbow clipping is ugly)
    heavyTat.jpg

So far heavy have style choices of Just a Broad (Sasha) and Sailor Jerry. 'Been Abroad' is planned for japanese sleeves.

Scout's gonna have a 'Mom' heart tattoo of course.

Sniper I think will be a 'LucksMan', probably lady luck style with a huntsman. And 'Death From afar', skull and cross rifles.

Engies got a little skin too... No ideas yet.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Knuckle Knife for the spy

blade.jpg

@HandSandwich
    I'll take a look at how I can change the hues, but I'm skeptical about removing so many of my precious details. I mean, the other revolvers are similarly detailed.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot internet is finally back, now to get about fixing up some trouble areas on my uvs >_>
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knuckle Knife for the spy

blade.jpg[IMG][/img]

That model looks fine but... How do you expect it to work with the default animations ?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't. I realize it would need to be animated specially.
  • Deity Link
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I recently watched a show called Galaxy Express 999.... And I was bored yesterday...

6366.jpg

Ellis' cap replaced with Tetsuro Hoshino's hat.

Summer Shades replaced with hi hair.

and the Righteous Bison replaced with the Cosmo Dragoon.

Tetsuro.png

tetsuro.jpg

This is also my first use of Ambient Occlusions. I think the hair is great, it suits the Soldier even with other hats.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryrkus.png

An untitled and rather obscure reference to The Beatles.
  • Super Bird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unledvti.jpg

Anyone mind helping me understand what happened to my map? Everything I unwrap gets stretched or extremely sheared. I know I pressed/did something, but I don't know what... poly122.gif

-EDIT, thanks to below! :thumbup:
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super Bird wrote: »
    Anyone mind helping me understand what happened to my map? Everything I unwrap gets stretched or extremely sheared. I know I pressed/did something, but I don't know what... poly122.gif

From the few times this happened to me when I used blender, the fix is simple;

You just have to export it as whatever format you feel like, ( obj. for example), and then re import into a clean blend file.

The UV'ing should work fine after this.

That's how I solved it.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, no. The correct fix is much simpler than that. Go into object mode and select your object. Press Alt+S to reset the object's scale. It'll be off, so go into edit mode and match the scaling back up again.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, no. The correct fix is much simpler than that. Go into object mode and select your object. Press Alt+S to reset the object's scale. It'll be off, so go into edit mode and match the scaling back up again.

Ah, never knew that. Too bad it's too late to be useful to me, since I use max now.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5vrxmq.png

Heavy is The Walrus
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some changes made to the revolver and the knife.

knife_and_revolver.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,I have finish with the low poly,is 7571 triangles(but it can go dawn a bit,cause I delete some simmetry lines during unwrap),because there are a lot of cylenders,tubes,even a spring & the damn chamfered edges lol :)

now i have to adjust the smoothing groups & starting unwraping this thing :)

The name is: "The Badass Behavior"

grenadelaunchers.png