Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• pyanodon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nzdjh wrote: »
    Revisiting an old project of mine. Doc's Rifle from BttF3, remade to be more accurate to the movie (though I kept a few personal touches for visual interest and so as not to make it a complete ripoff) and better optimized it.

[image]

You did a GREAT job in the polygon reduce. :thumbup: very nice concept
  • ned_ballad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hypothetically, if the TF2 wiki were to highlight the design and history of community items on the page of the items that are in the game, would contributors who have items in the game be willing to help?

Basically you'd just PM me a little bit about the design concepts of the item, maybe some stories about it. What inspired it, what were some of the problems faced.

Just sending out some feelers for a project I'd like to start on the wiki to get a bit more item concepts on the wiki. It may never take off, I'm just gauging interest on the subject.

For non-contributors, would this be an interest section on item pages? It's a drastic departure from stats and stuff, so is it worth the work needed to implement it?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    time to make lods *grumbles* and after that ima submit any tips?
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant

Yeh, I find chewing broken glass helps to dull the pain of making LOD's
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant wrote: »
    Yeh, I find chewing broken glass helps to dull the pain of making LOD's

lemme just find myself a plate :poly142:
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ingame4.jpg
    I made a gun of some description for the Sniper
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10

you're one of the few <3 I've noticed a bunch of the community made weapons lack LODs.. so I was thinking of making them myself and contributing them :)

Anyone know if there's a way other than manually going through the files myself, to find out what weapons do have lods?
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Flat Face wrote: »
    you're one of the few <3 I've noticed a bunch of the community made weapons lack LODs.. so I was thinking of making them myself and contributing them :)

Anyone know if there's a way other than manually going through the files myself, to find out what weapons do have lods?

You can decompile all the models.

BTW.
    Creating LOD is very easy and takes little time. Very little time.
    I'll make video tutorial on how to make lods fast later this week.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I felt like this would be a good time to show off some adjustments to my gun
    I kept some of the more visually interesting elements such as the cable while overall trying to make the gun less visually complicated while still keeping it interesting

atmoic.jpg

the grey thing on the side is supposed to be glass showing off this coil, I'm going to create the glass in the vmt by giving it a seperate texture, hopefully I can find a quick tutorial for doing so.

atomic2.jpg
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    UV's done.
    I know there are tons of overlapping UV but I don't want to make huge 4k texture.
    Also polygon count is not small (over 7000 triangles).
    Jx2bJ.jpg
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    Sledge.gif

How did you made that animation.
    In 3d modelling tool or in other software?
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Colorful.

And nice hammer Sparky.
  • Crasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, and it's for the Pyro now:
    necklacey.jpg
    Still need to add string, and I realize it'll clip through certain hats, but we'll see.
    Crits?
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Habboi wrote: »
    Colorful.

(...)

This is ony test
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hooch: that'd be great!
    @Sparkwire: very nice, very fallout esque
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final item for my Scout Sailor Pack a scattergun replacement: 'The Shark And Awe'. It's a submarine-ish shark. Stats: deals extra damage when health below 50%, deals less damage when health above 50%. I am ready to contribute now, any comments?

I made it team colored but when i am a blu scout, the first person view is red. anybody knows how to solve it?

2vl8z61.jpg

2wrluo1.jpg
    2rzf4om.jpg
    23kysdv.jpg

Again special thanks to Gerre.

Here's my reference:
    of3x2r.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    This is ony test

Yes, I know. I was being humorous.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    Sledge.gif
    Gunning for a Space Marine promo item? Nice work, mate.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Flat Face wrote: »

You can look at them in the model viewer, I think under 'model' it says LOD 1, you can change it to 2, etc... You can also check 'auto LOD' and zoom in/out to watch them change.

The main issue is they need to be compiled into the model, so even if you make them Valve still needs to recompile with the original models...I'm sure they have all the files but...
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    The Shark and Awe looks pretty awesome, I'd use it if it got in.
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Evil_Knevil I think the Blu shark's handle should be, well, bluer.
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Textures in beta stage:

rKKjr.jpg
    D9Fpe.jpg
    EV8FN.jpg
    ZlpwG.jpg
    csBpp.jpg
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    V6th wrote: »
    @Evil_Knevil I think the Blu shark's handle should be, well, bluer.

the handle is part of the shotgun and that's not team colored, only the shark itself
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to put together some glamour shots of the upcoming item set me and JZeeba are collaborating on.
    RJGQC.jpg

We've got a hat and two weapons, we're working on a third weapon to go with the set though we may end up submitting as is.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitchin' umbrella
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok Halloween Bonesaws done, based the colours and blood off the Skullcutters.

posspurge.jpg
    As well as adding the glow I also tinted the phong and rimlight on the Possesed version, to give it a more super-natrual/otherworldly feel.

I'm having trouble coming up with a decent name, so if anyones got any suggestions, I'm all ears :)
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    Trying to put together some glamour shots of the upcoming item set me and JZeeba are collaborating on.
    RJGQC.jpg

We've got a hat and two weapons, we're working on a third weapon to go with the set though we may end up submitting as is.
    Please, whatever you do, just don't do a sapper replacement. VALVe doesn't accept them, or atleast never has.
    I would suggest a watch replacent which is a fancy pocket watch OR a watch replacement which is actually a jewel ring and not a watch at all.
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could do a necklace watch, which would draw the same, just with a chain coming back. An interesting concept would be a watch that creates a small explosion on cloak/decloak giving you the ability to actually kill with your watch.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Ok Halloween Bonesaws done, based the colours and blood off the Skullcutters.

and I based them on the Eyelander :P

how about the Beastly Bonecutter?

(try and find a better B word than Beastly)
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the blood so it looks a bit more TF2-like:

hallomachete_differentbloodmedic.jpg
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    RJGQC.jpg

Play it safe and make a watch. The TF2 team is much smaller and less ambitious than it used to be, so trying to get an item in that doesn't already have unlocks is a pretty big gamble.
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    (try and find a better B word than Beastly)

Bountiful (if it counts heads/kills), Belligerent, Barbaric, Bastard's, Batty, Bubonic, Bacterial, or Benign are a few to help you get started.
  • Mnemosynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know how many people here frequent the TF2 Emporium over on Facepunch but we just opened up submissions for a community Halloween project. It was announced last week which is why you've probably seen a surge of spooky items lately. Anyway, if you think you might be interested in participating, check out the link in the image.

notlu_banner.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    This is about done.

A few things I'm not sure to do what with yet though.

1-jigglebones for hair/flower.

2-skins. Depends on groups.

3-accessory groups. Currently the hair, nose, tie and feet are all one accessory. I figured the shoes would be seperate when we get a second slot. So right now the blu shoe skin doesn't work (shoes are one tex, everything else another, and as far as I can tell you can only skin swap 1 material???)

it's 3 256 textures. shoes, hat, accessories. But the shoe color mask is pretty rough, that might need to be 512.

4-shoes. I pushed them out a bit hoping to just surround the existing shoes. Still have a little clipping. I may need to look at the weights a bit more, may need to push the verts a little more.
    Ultimately having the pyros boots be replaced would be best.

clownAround.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    Flamethrower shotgun. Continue?
    fnz1gp.jpg
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone.

For my first TF2 item I didn't want to get into something too complicated that would take weeks before I could actually get to the satisfying part (ie : seeing it in game), and the "surge of spooky items" (indeed ;) ) inspired me to make a pair of fangs as a misc.

aeEgA.png

Then I had the idea to make a hat with jiggleboned bat wings attached to it to go with the fangs, and I thought the class that would be the best fit for that would be the scout. Because, y'know, the scout, a bat. Aha aha.

So I've only tested them on the scout for now, but tomorrow I'm gonna try to put them on the other classes, see if they fit on some of them.
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Flamethrower shotgun. Continue?
    fnz1gp.jpg

FUCK YES

Of course Robin will give it to the Soldier.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    hammer.jpg

Concept by Apesquera. Quick AO and clipping test before adding more detail. Oh and does anyone have advice for making the wire bounce a little using jiggle bones? I get weird results, probably due to my settings and I'm unsure how many bones would be needed. I tried loads but that made it flimsy, I tried one which was better but it was pulling the vertices way too far.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,
    EDIT: Never mind twas my bad.

Just about to send in my first contribution and... how the hell am I suppose to send in a PSD texture that is only a .zip compression and has to be 2mbs! Am I just reading this wrong? help please.

Thanks,
  • roninsmastermix
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Hey,

Just about to send in my first contribution and... how the hell am I suppose to send in a PSD texture that is only a .zip compression and has to be 2mbs! Am I just reading this wrong? help please.

Thanks,

Things you should know:
    • The you can exceed the 2mb limit. So long as you don't hit 3 mb, you are safe and the system will accept your entry.
    • Valve accepts .tga files. You don't need to send the .psd as your "source" material.
    • Consider resizing your texture. 1024 X 1024 px images should be the biggest you could send in. The smaller the better.
    • You don't need to send in the vtf files if you already have the tga files. They can work with that but the .vmt files should be there to ensure the shaders you made are the ones that will be used in the game.
  • roninsmastermix
    Habboi wrote: »
    hammer.jpg

Concept by Apesquera. Quick AO and clipping test before adding more detail. Oh and does anyone have advice for making the wire bounce a little using jiggle bones? I get weird results, probably due to my settings and I'm unsure how many bones would be needed. I tried loads but that made it flimsy, I tried one which was better but it was pulling the vertices way too far.
    Nice concept. I love how parts of the launcher were covered giving it an inconsistent look that fits the TF2 universe. I suggest not adding jigglebones to the wire since its so small anyway to be even noticed. (Unless you're adding more wires to it) And with that time saved on adding jigglebones, you can devote more time to adding details like you said.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Alrighty. Yeah, APesquera is a good concept artist. Someone should make his sentry designs he posted a few pages back.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things you should know:
    • The you can exceed the 2mb limit. So long as you don't hit 3 mb, you are safe and the system will accept your entry.
    • Valve accepts .tga files. You don't need to send the .psd as your "source" material.
    • Consider resizing your texture. 1024 X 1024 px images should be the biggest you could send in. The smaller the better.
    • You don't need to send in the vtf files if you already have the tga files. They can work with that but the .vmt files should be there to ensure the shaders you made are the ones that will be used in the game.

Ok thanks a bunch, I managed to send it in just before I read this.
    So I ended up sending in:

3.6mb .zip of textures holding both my normalmap.tga and texture.tga, as well as my .psd and my .vmt. It all fit, so it ships.

models.zip turned out to be ~600kbs

Thanks again, wish me luck!

P.S. let me just upload some pictures of my final model
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Ok thanks a bunch, I managed to send it in just before I read this.
    So I ended up sending in:

3.6mb .zip of textures holding both my normalmap.tga and texture.tga, as well as my .psd and my .vmt. It all fit, so it ships.

models.zip turned out to be ~600kbs

Thanks again, wish me luck!

P.S. let me just upload some pictures of my final model

You can't upload archive that is bigger then 2MB.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch wrote: »
    You can't upload archive that is bigger then 2MB.
    That's what I though, but it accepted my files.

Some images of my final:6055699263_141e3ef9fb_b.jpg6055699295_69cb770ac1_z.jpg
    I'm quite happy with it as my first model.

Thanks for the help you guys.
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Hey.
    What is the maximum file size you was able to uplad?
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rowinish: For a first model that's pretty well made, Most "first models" i see usually have really wierd topology.

In unrelated news i passed my driving test today and felt inspired to make this:

learnersign_soldierheavy.jpg
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While my texture artist is busy with his real life, I decided to spend my time attempting to texture.

l3iH1.png