Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Not too sure how im feeling about the cuts on the lantern, I cant seem to find a picture of a really damaged one.
    paperk.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    those lanterns are paper, the paper shouldn't have medium sized normal details, and the cuts would literally be a hole in the paper, not a weird scratch or chip.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    jramauri wrote: »
    Arnold_WIP_11.jpg

Another 2d guy trying to learn 3d, eh? I'd say your 3d skills are perfectly fine! :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    bigblowa_doodle.jpg

Thug Fortress 2?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    urban style/lawncare = thug, why of course

Some shader fun in UDK

palp_wip03.jpg

thank you for sharing this. clearly just an experimental piece but damn if this doesn't hold some serious possibility. I have been playing around with NPR possibilities in UDK recently and I don't think I've seen anything quite this ingenious before.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    tacit: fuggin awsome as always man, seconding a mini video tut if you ever got the time :D
    nick: looks baws dude

got http://cghub.com/images/view/125489/ as my background atm, busted this dude out last night. Gotta get back to my lich ladeh for now.

01b.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    while it really is nice, it definitely has some downsides when it comes to mipmapping, without custom code you cannot change the mipmaps in unreal as you can't load dds files, so from a certain distance its going to be massively blurry. there are quite a few cool hatching techniques even semi automatic ones but most of them will fail in udk due to the lack of mipmap abilities :(
    one could buil a shader though to blend between differently scaled and detailled hatching textures but its going to be quite a heavy shader just for manipulating the "basic" shading, i did it once and decided to drop it as it was very heavy on instructions :/

gauss wrote: »
    thank you for sharing this. clearly just an experimental piece but damn if this doesn't hold some serious possibility. I have been playing around with NPR possibilities in UDK recently and I don't think I've seen anything quite this ingenious before.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aobakefail.jpg

Tried my first AO bake
    didn't turn out that well. lots of splotches

have only a few ngons, project is WIP
    not sure why this is happening. could anyone help? I tried at 512x2 and then 1024x2, made no difference
  • achillesian
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    nice work guys.. :D

few of my guns finished recently...

m4_carbine_fps_view_by_limiao-d3k59zn.jpg

hk_usp_45_game_model_by_limiao-d3ktpdx.jpg

usp_45_highres_mesh_by_limiao-d3ktotv.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    USP looking damn fine, love the material definition and free-from-overscratch-poo realism of it. Marmoset renders?
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    rasmus wrote: »
    USP looking damn fine, love the material definition and free-from-overscratch-poo realism of it. Marmoset renders?

thanks man.

yes all in marmoset!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    haikai wrote: »
    Another 2d guy trying to learn 3d, eh? I'd say your 3d skills are perfectly fine! :)

Thank you Haikai. The fact it's that along the years, I never practiced 3d "seriously". As digital painting was always my primarly goal, I've studied a lot of things about Maya and Zbrush, but my knowledge was much more theoretical than practical. I don't feel confident to do 3d professionaly, understand? But this year I decided to focus on refine this, and I'm learning a lot. I myself didn't know that I could get such a result on Conan.. and there he is! This means that these studies are goign well. :)

Nick: thank you man!
  • onetru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onetru polycounter lvl 8
    some more scene wip
    Highres_Screenshot_00001-1.jpg
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear chromatic aberration, you do not make a piece look better, you are = to a 'blur' filter over a piece.

nothankyou.jpg

id rather just see the model
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    good clean work Mio you should be proud
    \
    Neox wrote: »
    while it really is nice, it definitely has some downsides when it comes to mipmapping, without custom code you cannot change the mipmaps in unreal as you can't load dds files, so from a certain distance its going to be massively blurry. there are quite a few cool hatching techniques even semi automatic ones but most of them will fail in udk due to the lack of mipmap abilities :(
    one could buil a shader though to blend between differently scaled and detailled hatching textures but its going to be quite a heavy shader just for manipulating the "basic" shading, i did it once and decided to drop it as it was very heavy on instructions :/

answer from the man himself, i think you've forgotten more about working with shaders in UE3 than most people have ever learned :)

while we're on the subject what method did you end up going with for edge detection/cel shading in Airborn? I have been working through the "UDK gems" Sobel method, some of the stuff variously described on Eat3d (Oniram thank you for your tireless work and documentation there btw) and on the UDK forums and I am none too sure about the whole enterprise. I understand that basically any implementation is going to have its pros and cons, there being no one perfect catch-all solution, but with your previous experience I thought you might shed some light on it.

EDIT: further googling gets me breakdowns of various approaches you tried--so you ended up with a zbuffer-based edge detect as outlined on your post on GA here?
  • Jbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Cool stuff people! really like the busts by Josh and the leafblower guys by Nick on the previous page, really digging the art styles.

Nizza, really digging the turtle, can't wait to see how it will look when its complete. :)
  • aireqi9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aireqi9 polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, you guys are awesome!
    This is my attempt at sculpting detail. It's a Garuda Mask.

Mask.jpg
  • kreydan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a rock today, around 800 tris
    rockonly.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math wrote: »
    sketch mush from yesterday :

fleaBody_spinna.gif

nice man really nice! been noticing you put out a killer sketch about every day or two, we gonna get to see any finished pieces from you? or just having too much fun with the speedies?

-Woog
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    woogity. cheers dude. yeah that's about the state of it. just enjoy messing with shapes to be honest. leave the grafting to paid work
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    gauss wrote: »
    good clean work Mio you should be proud
    \

answer from the man himself, i think you've forgotten more about working with shaders in UE3 than most people have ever learned :)

while we're on the subject what method did you end up going with for edge detection/cel shading in Airborn? I have been working through the "UDK gems" Sobel method, some of the stuff variously described on Eat3d (Oniram thank you for your tireless work and documentation there btw) and on the UDK forums and I am none too sure about the whole enterprise. I understand that basically any implementation is going to have its pros and cons, there being no one perfect catch-all solution, but with your previous experience I thought you might shed some light on it.

EDIT: further googling gets me breakdowns of various approaches you tried--so you ended up with a zbuffer-based edge detect as outlined on your post on GA here?

yes but in the end we dropped all outlines because of a few reasons, I tested quite a bunch of methods, and the most interesting one isn't possible in UDK as you would draw actual edge meshes with a stroke texture applied (basicly you detect the edge, create polygonstrips aligned to the screen and map strokes on them) this is as far as i know the best possible solution.

The best working methods i had have been fresnel based and as you say zbuffer based. The problem with the first on is, that it is by design surfaceanglebased. So it is highly dependent on your mesh underneath, the denser and more homogenous your mesh is distributed the cleaner your outline will be, the best possible mesh for this would be a sphere/geosphere with equally sized triangles.
    But as we all know, meshes fon't look like this, so the outline varies heavily on a mesh, theoretically you could use this effect for your favor and manipulate the outline by mesh manipulations, but to be honest its too complex to do in a somewhat reasonable timeframe.
    And it all breaks on flat surfaces, Buildings are a no go, anything flat is a problem, best example would be Streetfighter4 Guiles hair on a specialmove, the top is all black because of the flat ange of that surface. Another issue with this method is scaleablity, theoreticly you could scale the thickness by distance, but it still doesn't cut it.

The second and better working method was zbuffer based, its pretty simple really you can do it in photoshop quickly, take a screenshot of your image, and one of your zbuffer (or render it, or just take a zbuffer from goole, doesn't matter) duplicate your zbuffer image, blur it by the amount of the thickness you would like your outline to be and put it on the layermode difference (mathwise this is blurred image - sourceimage) this is your outline. You can now take this and multiply it on top of your screenshot (or scene in unreal). The method is nice but has a few flaws.
    First of all quite a few of instructions, especially if you want to "antialias" it, hardware antialiasing doesn't work as it is a posteffect so you have to blur (or sample) more often and layer it all together. With every row of pixels the instructioncount jumps higher and higher. But this was not the biggest flaw for us.
    The biggest issue again had to do with the method beeing a posteffect.
    It gets drawn last on the screen, obviously as it is a effect applied after everything else is drawn = POST effect.

With this in Mind a lot of problems appear, it doesn't work with fog, so you have to change the coloration over distance in the shader, of course one big plus for this technique is also that you can actually change the thickness and colour and visibility over distance.
    So you can handle fog with more instructions, now comes the tricky part.
    Particle are a HUGE issue, they get drawn before the post effects, so smoke or clouds are always behind posteffects even if the asset casting the outlines is behind a cloud or smoke or anything.
    So Ships coming out of clouds, using clouds for cover, using smokegrenades as gameplay elements are impossible to do, you would als have outlines running in front of everything, the player would always know who was coming.

Another thing is, that the outline would always draw around everything (but softalpha assets as they don't get sorted the same way everything else is, so they don't appear in the zbuffer). So to avoid a few issues we thought of only drawing outlines around the character, and this is simples (at leas as far as we knew at this point) impossible in UDK.
    So we dropped pretty much every possible dealbreake like outline and hatching.

Well by now we dropped pretty much everything besides the main idea, storyparts we already developed and the overall design. But we changed a lot, the style is different, the engine is different, some gameplay elements are different. But right now airborn is sleeping a very deep sleep, we have our second production running right now and we will only start to continue once everything is up and running and the office is crowded with people :)

THE WALL OF TEXT ENDS HERE

:poly142:

ps: tacit you rock
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    STRIKER wrote: »
    reviving my thread, update of the baby goron

renderxk.png

Very very cool ! :)
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi I am new in this community and so far is awesome >.<, here I share some of my work made completely in Maya 2011. Despite is finished I think i will improve some details.
    The backstory: It's a magic temple under the sea.In the temple lies an object that brings magic to the surroundings, like animals and plants. I am a new in UV mapping and i did what i could :poly136:, but i liked the final result. I added some fog to the scene, projected an image trhough a spot light, bump to the ground, some lights into the jellyfishes and the plants. Please say me what u think about I just have 4 months of professional education in Maya, but I have been working lightly in it for like 1 year.
    underseatemplecamara496.jpg
    underseatemplecamara496.jpg
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    second car, colours/materials are all temps to get a feel for ...something

colour_render.jpg

goodness, i MUST learn automotive modelling. street scenes need them, and im not the best at it lol

nice work there :)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Well shit this page is filled with awesomesauce.

Le ruin~

Rawr2.jpg

4164 tris' Just a piss about project while i dig outa a rut.
  • Jbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    This is pretty much what I've been working on this weekend, a Hoverboard if you can't tell :P. Pretty much came from doodling/exploring in Max as I'm trying to learn that 3D package too. Well have a good one folks! :D

hoverboard_wip2_by_jbird556-d3kyjiv.jpg

hoverboard_wip2_top_by_jbird556-d3kyjt2.jpg

hoverboard_wip2_under_by_jbird556-d3kykdh.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    tacit math wrote: »
    scrubbos_01.png

my Tacit Math reference folder is filling up nicely. I'm loving these last few and that flea thingy is awesomeness. Sort of Half life ish but more kick ass. I'd love to see a timelapse or some kind of quick workflow step by step

Its inspired me to try and do something similar (copy), expect it in my next WAYWO update.

Keep them coming.

p.s. This should be on a T shirt ;)
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Caricatures of Men in Black.
    will_smith.png

tommy_lee_jones.png
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Inspired by tacit math's style.

Banged out some thumbs and then refined my fav.

Joust Mech. Will block it out next.

joustmech1.jpg
  • e-barron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work all guys, i don't know why but the post I made is not here :S all right i post it again. I am new to these community and its awesome >.<. Here I post a work I did, despite its finished I plan to improve some details. It's a temple under the sea in which lies a magical artifact that gives magic power to the animals and plants in the surroundings.underseatemplecamara496.jpg
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    Did a bit of texturing work, no specular yet. Thinking of rebaking the hair normals and adding some more interest to the back.
    Thanks for the previous crits, I gave her some knuckles and fingernails, will definitely make a basket too, and an Uzi if there's time :>
    Crits appreciated as usual!
    33xynn6.jpg
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    future-fiction: like it a lot. I don't think the back need more details, looks great how it is right now.

little update of my croc thing, just a very dirty quick ingame test. Rendered with cryengine3..

croc10.jpg
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18

Ahh good point, I didn't think about the mip maps, so you say if I create custom mip-map textures and switch them into the same shader network with if statements based off distance from screen it would be too heavy on instructions? I was just playing and am not planning on putting it into a game but I'm just currious.
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    blitz - why the #%^@ ARE THOSE JEANS SHORTS SO DAMN REAL!<3

future-fiction - I was hoping I would see her again.The face looks amazing.All the soft color blends.Very anime esque.

tacit math - Are those fullblown sketches or sculpt/2d??

Polycount is so beast.

c592c983.png
    8cbf3a52.png
    f3e71cb5.png
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Prop for a scene i just started:

SciFiMall01.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    ae, that is beautiful!

Slowly carrying on! There are a couple of control loop issues but I will fix them in good time!

update-6.jpg

update2-3.jpg
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Eight - right now, her upper half is super stiff, you should prob make the curvature more dramatic on the upper half of the body.

yupd.png

keep it up!
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    testRender_02.jpg
    Wheelchair HP... about 90% done.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    EiGHT wrote: »
    blitz - why the #%^@ ARE THOSE JEANS SHORTS SO DAMN REAL!<3

future-fiction - I was hoping I would see her again.The face looks amazing.All the soft color blends.Very anime esque.

tacit math - Are those fullblown sketches or sculpt/2d??

Polycount is so beast.

c592c983.png
    8cbf3a52.png
    f3e71cb5.png

citizen_cane.gif

Fucking Beast Bro~!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Patrol bot WIP

first AO bake, woot. finally got it to work

Bot_PNG.png
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    OK... Well this page is full of win!

hi_robot_droid_01.jpg
    Fleshin out the internals.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    @ EiGHT - purdy :poly124:

I second Striker's comment. The stiff neck kinda kills the motion.

I love it tho. Refreshing.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    STRIKER wrote: »
    Eight - right now, her upper half is super stiff, you should prob make the curvature more dramatic on the upper half of the body.

yupd.png

keep it up!

I have to agree, theres some very good work here - but she looks like she just caught whiff of a very eggy fart.
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    STRIKER / Robat - Fuck guys, I knew the cervical curve looked stickly.Next time I will post W.I.P shots here in the PolyC.

Alberto Rdrgz - Thanks man.More on the way.

Dan! - Thank ya, been missing your art.What have you been up to lately?

hawken - YOUR SOOO RIGHT THOUGH LololOL???I will try to keep the farts to a minimum next time man.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    THE LESSON ENDS HERE

Can't thank you enough, I don't know how long it would take to learn these lessons myself--could have been months or years before I ran into these issues myself and had to make some tough decisions.

While I am not entirely ruling out the possibility of using some kind of edge detection effect in my work, it seems pretty clear why it was bad fit for Airborn, and I especially appreciate explicit implications/limitations of employing such an effect. I have been toying with speccing a very flat visual style (largely inspired by Moebius/Geof Darrow, which seems to work well within the constraints established, but this is going to still take a lot of thought, planning, and experimentation.

Anyway, thanks again--I'll keep you updated with what I try out.
This discussion has been closed.