Home General Discussion

The BRAWL Tournament

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Thanks Baj!!!

If I enter this thing, I'll be making Fulgore from Killer Instinct, or Bass from Megaman: The Power Battles.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Stop posting on GA guys and make some bad ass art. We don't need to prove ourselves or the competion to anyone. The artwork alone should do all of the talking for us at the end of the day.
    home_tick.png
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop posting on GA guys and make some bad ass art. We don't need to prove ourselves or the competition to anyone. The artwork alone should do all of the talking for us at the end of the day.
    Well put!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Can you enter both? Say you're a concept artist who teams up with an environment modeler... can you also enter the character portion if you wish?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I think in the case of Poison, it was really just a laughable attempt at censorship evasion.

They put a girl in the game, that you beat up. And then when it failed to pass some kind of North American standard due to violence against women, they responded afterwards saying she was actually a transgendered male... allowing it to pass.

I know the history of the character, and the censorship was kind of sad, but that's different from seeing a character presented as trans, and immediately going to "It's a trap" (get it guys? all trans women are trying to trick straight men into having sex with them, hahahahah!!) ignoring the insanely high rates of suicide and violence committed against transwomen every day (a transwoman was shot in the head and dragged behind a car with a chain just last week in the US) And the vast majority of the time it's someone who knows the woman (and her status as trans). Racial jokes, misogyny, and increasingly gay jokes wouldn't be tolerated if used in a stereotypically offensive way, so let's try to tone down the trans jokes too. Call me a kill-joy if you must, but it's not funny and needs to stop.

adam wrote: »
    Ben are you entering this contest or WHAT?

I never start my thread till I have something to show. I'm sketching in photoshop now though.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    @ Ben, it better be a dude, and it better have an epic...attachment.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Stop posting on GA guys and make some bad ass art. We don't need to prove ourselves or the competion to anyone. The artwork alone should do all of the talking for us at the end of the day.

Yes sir.
    cult5_hl1.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    rooster wrote: »
    is there really a good reason we can't do beatemups? I say this because I like them and not really fighting games.

lets see: if we do fighting games, all we have to do is take some marvel vs capcom game and we get chris redfield, megaman, dante, *comic book superheroes*. But I can't do the guy from river city ransom or skate from streets of rage 2? it's backwards..
    (I mean from BRAWLING perspective)

Does this mean you are thinking of taking part? Because if so.

I challenge thee, sir!.....

slap.jpg

Actually. Just a thought. Would be good to see people do a versus diorama at the end of this. 2,3 or 4 characters in an environment (with or without a HUD). Even if the styles clash. But maybe when everythings finished people who have done similar styles could put there stuff together.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are all characters form Brawl and Marvel VS type games not valid since they dont have a fighting game origin?

I would like to do Samus from Brawl.

Participants will choose either a FIGHTER (character artists) or STAGE (environment artists) from any fighting game ever and do a reinterpretation or re-imagination of their chosen FIGHTER or STAGE.

For your entry to be considered for this contest, your FIGHTER (character) or STAGE (environment) entry must have its origins from an existing 2D or 3D fighting game. From there, you will develop or update the character or environment to your liking.

the 'any fighting game ever' is throwing me off : [
  • Krot_Art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krot_Art polycounter lvl 7
  • Krot_Art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krot_Art polycounter lvl 7
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Please don't do this. There are a few trans members of polycount, and nothing is more offensive than "it's a trap" jokes (which aren't funny anyway). Any other minority would be off limits, so try to respect this one.

Not in this thread man... please. Get over it. Kids be free to say what they want. I can understand having an issue with someone post genuinely homophobic things, but trying to bully someone into not using an internet meme... [Ninja Admin Edit]

--- line ---

Nice challenge Adam, Emil, etc. Thanks for putting it on. I like how it covers almost any games character I can think of, cause even Final Fantasy characters are permissable because of Dissidia! :D Will have a think, then have another think to decide how to mix it up...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rick: hehe, I dunno yet. mulling it over, like I say I'm trying to find an angle which gets me psyched up..
    it would make more sense to me to just say 'a fighter' as in, a brawler, rather than 'been in a fighting game'. Cos theres loads you could choose from which don't seem in the spirit of brawling. Well, maybe I'll just do what I want and if some spoilsport wants to disqualify me on a technicality then whatever :P.

Imo 'fighting game' should just mean, any game about fighting
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thank you for wording that far better and less offensively than i ever could.

I've no beef with anything of the sort... hell, crossdressing is cool.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    Not in this thread man... please. Get over it. Kids be free to say what they want. I can understand having an issue with someone post genuinely homophobic things, but trying to bully someone into not using an internet meme... the only time I see you post on PC is in the photography thread or when ranting and raving about issues relating to your chosen sexuality. Please stop; focus on art.
    Why should "kids" be free to say what they want if you're insisting no one point out when it's offensive in the same breath? I'm not seeing any bullying here. I am seeing someone asking nicely for people to not make offensive jokes (which, meme or not, it is). I know I feel more comfortable in a community (and more likely to continue delurking) when I see posts that ask politely that people not be insensitive, and I imagine I'm not alone in that. You certainly don't have to be less offensive if someone asks, but demanding that they never ask is juvenile at best.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ut-oh...

Seriously go make art, in the last few hours of the competition you would kill for for the time you're wasting here.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    rich; You do realise that because of M.U.G.E.N. you can do just about any character ever created. :D

BRING IT, SISTER!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYsm0lptT4Y[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-UI8qHIDtI[/ame]
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The life choices discussion ends NOW. This is about BRAWL and Polycount is about game art.

Now go, shoo, push some fuggin' polygons.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if I'll have time to take part but I'm excited to see everyone's entries!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    "it's a trap" is a star wars joke...I dont see how that is offense to any one with differing life choices from the "social norm".

Anyway when dose this contest start like right now? I didn't see it in the brief at all so just wanted to check. Might have to hit up the contest next time around, damn you crazy deadlines!
  • DBentley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are all characters form Brawl and Marvel VS type games not valid since they dont have a fighting game origin?
    [

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about this as well. Because including the Smash Bros. series opens up a slew of nintendo characters, while the Marvel VS. games adds many comic book characters.

I'm guessing the intention is characters originally MEANT for fighting games, and not simply characters brought in for some large crossover?

Otherwise, sounds awesome! I'm in, possibly!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    DBentley wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kind of curious about this as well. Because including the Smash Bros. series opens up a slew of nintendo characters, while the Marvel VS. games adds many comic book characters.

I'm guessing the intention is characters originally MEANT for fighting games, and not simply characters brought in for some large crossover?

Think about this. It's not like polycount will ban you (in all likelihood) if your entry is a little off topic, but I sincerely doubt that someone would vote for the mario entry over the street fighter character entry if the skill level is equal.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    This contest is full of win. The fact that on the 1st day of its announcement we've already got nearly 3 pages of entries in the contest section?

That's awesome. So much shit to start following.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    There's already so many entry's!

insanity + awesome = awesanity

Might have to buckle down for a stage and get eaten alive by the pros. Then cry in the corner and cut myself.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    DBentley wrote: »

Otherwise, sounds awesome! I'm in, possibly!

I'm thinking that since the announcement banner has Mario, Zidane, Squall, Wario, Spider Man and Wolverine, I think you're safe.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    rooster wrote: »
    is there really a good reason we can't do beatemups? I say this because I like them and not really fighting games.

Yeah, the word BRAWL made me immediately think of this instead as well
    Growl_Arcade.png

and I might enter! But not about the indy expy or even youknowwho or anyone from youknowwhat... too obvious.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The criteria for a character is that it had to appear in a fighting game? What about characters like Samus, Megaman, Starfox etc. that have appeared in MVC and Smash Bros?
  • dippingsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmon how hard would it be to include a 2D category up in HEA
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    cmon how hard would it be to include a 2D category up in HEA

I think this too. After all, there's no prizes, we are here just for the learning and to produce a kickass piece, counting with the help of our forum mates. I was very excited about this contest and blam, had a great disapoitment on knowing that us, 2d artists were out.

Why just the 3d guys deserves the fun and exposure of this contest? I didn't get yet.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry if this has already been covered, but is this competition only for fighter games such as Street Fighter, or could it be for games such as Golden Axe/Streets of Rage? I think that might be stretching it a little bit, but I'm interested to know the answer!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Megaman had his own 2D Fighting games (which are awesome BTW)

Megaman: The Power Battles:

1181242137216.png

You could play as Zero, Bass, or MM.

VERY kickass game that ate many of my quarters.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would have prefered having the ability to take any character from anywhere, and injecting them into a fighter format (reimagineing them at the same time), and just doing a straight up redesign of existing fighter characters.

not sure why but a lot of the characters in fighter games just don't "grab" me at the moment.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    It's already been stated that:
    It has to be from a fighting game.
    This also means you can take a character from Brawl, or MVC. As long as the character has been in an actual fighting game, it's fine.

No Beat Em ups. Only 1v1 or 2v2 or whatever games, not 1 vs the world.

And no 2D either, 2D artists can't join up with 3D artists or do their own thing as part of the competition. But you can use it's guidelines to do the same thing outside of the competition :)

That's what I've collected by reading the news-post and the FAQ
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, thank you Skamberin. I did read through but my memory is as good as a chocolate teapot.

I've never been a huge fan of fighting games but I'm really excited about this competition, so I might see if there are any that take my fancy.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Skamberin wrote: »
    And no 2D either, 2D artists can't join up with 3D artists or do their own thing as part of the competition. But you can use it's guidelines to do the same thing outside of the competition :)

Of course we can. I can do a redesign of a fighting char at any time I want in my Sketchbook. But if I could do it on an official contest it would give me great exposure. Exposure is one of main prizes in a challenge like this. And I could share the general excitment that an event like this can offer to all participants. But if we're are out, then we are out. It's a shame though.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    True, I don't agree with there being no 2D section but.. those are the rules (so far..)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I might join, do a stage, a little enviro piece. Props and shit... but can't decide if I got the time to pull it off or just put it in the list of unfinished projects. :S
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I just played some fighters courtesy of Playstation +, including the epileptic fit inducing and FULLY MENTAL Guilty Gears (my first time) :D and the surprisingly good Mortal Kombat demo! Gonna hang back a few days though before making up my mind on what to tackle for the comp.

What was that fighting game released on Wii recently, with the battle of the planet characters?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I hope someone tackles Powerstone
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »
    I just played some fighters courtesy of Playstation +, including the epileptic fit inducing and FULLY MENTAL Guilty Gears (my first time) :D and the surprisingly good Mortal Kombat demo! Gonna hang back a few days though before making up my mind on what to tackle for the comp.

What was that fighting game released on Wii recently, with the battle of the planet characters?

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-tatsunoko-vs/61293

battle of the planets....hmmm...now you got me thinking.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have questions please ask them in the questions area of the comp so Geez can awnser them!

Have a wallpaper on me!! It's a cluster of people but that was the goal to try and get as many fighters in as I could. Hope you guys like it.

http://artbyhawkins.com/downloads/wallpaper.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Neat! :) Looking through a bunch of potential characters i'd like to have a bash at, It's a bit overwhelming at the moment, hopefully I'll pick something soon and get cracking! (TLDR: I'm in baby!)

Good luck everyone! :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Additionally to Ryan sharing goodies. Here is a layered PSD of the BRAWL logo for you to use for your presentation shots (if you so desire). If it's too small and people would like a bigger version. Let me know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3572065/BRAWL-logo.zip
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    jramauri wrote: »
    Of course we can. I can do a redesign of a fighting char at any time I want in my Sketchbook. But if I could do it on an official contest it would give me great exposure. Exposure is one of main prizes in a challenge like this. And I could share the general excitment that an event like this can offer to all participants. But if we're are out, then we are out. It's a shame though.

I don't really feel like we're out. I think a main reason for it is that polycount is a (primarily) 3D community, with infinitely more 3D artists than 2D artists. You'd have like, 15 pages of 3D art contest entries, and maybe one of 2D entries. Kinda hard to have a "brawl" or significant tournament without significant entries, and we certainly shouldn't be thrown into the same batch as 3D work. It makes sense why there's no 2D category this time around. That's not even considering the (somewhat) impromptu nature of this contest's happening.

Besides, Polycount in all reality is a pretty small little forum community. What's going to get you exposure is your work and the quality of it, whether it's in the contest or not. Even within the contest - which entries do you think are going to get the most exposure? The ones that show hard work, promise, and of course - quality. But putting up something that's awesome as hell in the Pimping and Previews section is going to be just as worthwhile - the only difference is it won't be getting voted on. No big deal.

I really feel like I as a 2D artist could start a new thread in P&P where I pursue some paintings of newly envisioned fighting characters, and still REALLY feel like I was getting in on the vibe of the contest. Sure it would not get voted on, but it'd still be fun and help push me in a direction I might not've otherwise ventured towards.

Anyway - the entries so far are looking awesome. Seeing some cool choices along with several characters I've never heard of. Good luck to all!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I know NOTHING about fighting games. I've never liked them at all. So I'm getting literally no inspiration whatsoever. I can't even find any decent concept art! :(

/sadface

Really want to participate though! I'll have to look into this.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just dig through that Fighters Generation website a find someone with a design that appeals to you. It's not like you really need to know anything about them beyond their basic appearance and perhaps the few words in the bio.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yay BRAWL!!!! I was looking forward to PC having its own contest! ...shame though that the last fighting game I seriously played was IK+ (loved it!)...guess I have some googling to do now to come up with a character
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Just dig through that Fighters Generation website a find someone with a design that appeals to you. It's not like you really need to know anything about them beyond their basic appearance and perhaps the few words in the bio.

They almost only have characters on that site.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    If you're looking at doing an environment for this contest, may I suggest looking at some Guilty Gear stages. They have some pretty nice environments.

http://www.guiltygear.ru/gallery.php

Select backgrounds from the radio buttons and filter through them. If you don't get inspired by those, then I don't know what will.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Also check out Blazblue which is basically the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. Rachel's level is badass