Home Contests & Challenges Archives

The BRAWL Tournament - Questions & Answers

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Questions

This thread is for questions specific to the contest rules, specs, judging, or submission process.

Geezus will be answering your questions by editing your post with the answer to your question added. This way we can answer your questions as directly as possible without them getting lost in replies.

Please note: Anything besides questions for the contest will be deleted or moved to the appropriate thread.

---

If you need to change the title of your thread, or are awaiting approval for your thread, please message me. While I'm trying, diligently, to approve all threads, they can sometimes take up to 24 hours to be approved.

New members that simply put "Place Holder." in their thread, without any reference shots, or breakdowns on their stage/fighter, will not be approved until their original thread contains information on their chosen fighter/stage.

-Geezus

Thank you!

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are sky boxes or background matte paintings included in the 4096x4096 texture budget? I don't think I saw anything in the brief about it.

ANSWER: Sky boxes are not included in any budget restraints. Specs are being updated to reflect this.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You said double sided geometry was ok, but count toward your triangle total.

Does this mean a single planed banner, would be 2 triangles? or 4? (meaning does each double sided triangle count as one, or as two?)

*edit* why am I asking? I don't have time for this! grrrrr

ANSWER: Each double sided triangle will count as two triangles.
    ...make time. :]
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry to be anal, but does "fighting game" exclude "Beat 'em Up" games?

So for an example, Street Fighter, but not Streets of Rage?

ANSWER: Beat 'Em Ups are not being considered a 'Fighting Game' for this contest.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    What about One On One fighting games based on an outside Intellectual Property? As an example, Ranma 1/2, Dragonball, Gundam, and many other anime have had one on one fighting games based on them.

ANSWER: If the IP has had a fighting game based off of them, it is fair game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fighting_games
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If someone claims a character, can another person do that same character as well?

ANSWER: As with past contests, choosing the same subject matter (fighter or stage) is fine. Typically, this promotes additional friendly competition between those artists. However, choosing the same subject matter and re-interpretation would be frowned upon.
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe that I know the answer to this as it was implied in a earlier question, but just to be sure. Could you make special characters such as batman and darth vader. Although they are certainly not fighting game characters, they have appeared in fighting games (dc vs mk and soul calibur).

ANSWER: Technically if they have appeared in a fighting game you can use them for this contest. Creatively, though, there's been other contests feature Marvel & DC characters and we think you should try recreating a proper fighter.

You're welcome to do anyone who's appeared in a fighting game.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Just to clarify about the environments, can we make arenas with 3D gameplay, like in Soul Calibur? Or should it stay 2D like Street Fighter? I'm guessing it's the later, but it's not so obvious from the rules.

ANSWER: 3D Gameplay stages are fine. Though, you will still need to adhere to the specs under Submission and Presentation of your entry.
  • thebubz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebubz polycounter lvl 7
    Could we do 2 characters as long as collectively they fit the specs?
    Btw the response time on these questions is amazing!

ANSWER: Additional fighters or stages would need to be submitted separately.

Environment artists will likely need the majority of this time to create their STAGES. While 7 weeks is plenty for character artists to bust out a FIGHTER. So, you’re welcome to submit more than one FIGHTER if you wish to do so. And yes, if you have the time and energy you may enter more than one STAGE as well.
  • thebubz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was implying the characters would go together, ie Scorpion vs. Subzero. The beauty shop would have both characters but under or at the restrictions of the comp so both could be submitted together.

ANSWER: The purpose is to choose one fighter/stage and re-imagine them. Combining multiple fighters/stages, even within the same universe, is not permitted.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so there's no competition in 2D art whatsoever? Not that I'm a 2D Artist or anything but just checking if I got all the facts straight.

ANSWER: There is no 2D category in this competition.
  • Kupikimijumjum
    I know brawlers were a no, but how far does the umbrella go? There are a few games that seem to blur the line of traditional fighters. Will games like Powerstone or Smash Bros. count?

ANSWER: Powerstone and Smash Bros. are very much fighters. As such, any fighters/stages from these games are welcomed.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    The character has to be changed and reimagined some how. What if a character is predominantly a force of good, it's his trade mark. Can we reimagine it as a force of evil instead? Would that fulfill the brief? Thanks.

ANSWER: Something beyond simply changing the archetype of a character would be needed to fulfill the brief. Taking a fighter who is visually angelic and turning them into something that is visually demonic would be fine, but you are encouraged to get creative!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If one 'fighter' is more than one character, ie games where you have a group or a summon who are integral to special attacks, are they one entry?

I wanna do a Jojos character, but the stand raises questions:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pLpadl958[/ame]

ANSWER: Only one physical fighter is permitted. An example of this would be if an artist chose to do Chang Koehan. While Choi Bounge (the little guy on his back) rides on his back in intros, and is part of certain special moves, the two together would not be considered one physical character.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if your chosen character exists in anime (and it's fighting game), would bringing them into realism count as a reimagening? or would you also need to bring them into a different setting? this question goes both ways. if your chosen character is normally "realistic", could you simply give them an anime spin?

ANSWER: A stark difference in visual style from the original material is enough to meet the brief. Will this be enough to win, though?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    will a stark difference in visual style be enough to win?

in a more serious note, what constitutes a fighting game? does it have to be a mainstream release? or can it be something a little out field, such as an online flash game with an interesting character?

ANSWER: Obscure titles are fine. If something is far too 'out there' (i.e. someone's mugen character) you will be informed via your contest thread.
  • scrawld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrawld polycounter lvl 12
    Is changing the sex of a character allowed as part of a redesign?

Many thanks for answering all these questions.

ANSWER: Changing the sex of the fighter is perfectly acceptable as part of your redesign, but will not be accepted as your entire re-imagination.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    and just to solidify one of the earlier questions:
    there are some fighting games where characters can appear on screen at the same time effectively as one character.
    for example: Goten and Trunks from dragonball z. as long as they can both be made to fit within one diffuse pass, and both be made to fit within 12k triangles (6k each) would there be any problems with that?

ANSWER: Answered the previous question as you were posting this one:
    Only one physical fighter is permitted. An example of this would be if an artist chose to do Chang Koehan. While Choi Bounge (the little guy on his back) rides on his back in intros, and is part of certain special moves, the two together would not be considered one physical character.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The game I chose to redesign a character from (Joy Mech Fight) is an odd duck. It has different modes of play, one of which is aclassic cliche one on one fighter a la Street Fighter, but there's also a mode that is somewhat like Final Fight. Since it has the one on one mode, is it acceptable?

ANSWER: As Joy Mech Fight has a traditional fighting mode, and is classified as a "Fighting Game", it is acceptable.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Does this...
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    wrote:
    ~12,000 triangles for everything combined. If you go over/under by a couple hundred triangles thats acceptable.

May be a dumb question but does this mean you have to be in the 11,100-12,000 tris range to comply to rules ? Or can it be way less than that as long as it doesn't exceed ~12,000 tris ?

ANSWER: That's our fault for not clarifying. It should read that you can go OVER 12,000 triangles but anywhere under that is fine. That said, this is not a low-poly contest.
  • thebubz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either that is worded funny, or you mean "you can not go OVER 12,000 triangles"

ANSWER: You can go over 12k tris, within reason. (Read: by a couple hundred tris.)
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I have an idea for a character I want to do, but the character only exists in crossover media, ala SNK vs. Capcom or Jump Ultimate Stars. I just don't want to do something strictly mainstream from like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat that fifty other people are probably doing.

Are characters who come from non-fighting game source material but are featured in fighting games looked down upon in any way even if they fit the criteria of being in a fighting game?

ANSWER: No source material is looked down upon for any reason.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Is it allowed to have a permanent mount for the character or does it count as 2 characters?
    (Tron Bonne for example)

ANSWER: Tron Bonne is only played whilst in her suit. Tron Bonne, in this example, would be considered the person + the suit. One character.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    We are allowed 4096x2 for all of our material passes. Does that mean a 1024x2 material with normals spec and diffuse still only counts towards 1024 of the budget?

ANSWER: 4096x4096 for each material pass. Meaning that each texture pass gets it's own separate 4096x4096 texture limit.
    Diffuse = 4096x4096, Normal = 4096x4096, etc.

NOTE: Environment limitation = 4096x4096, Character limitation = 2048x2048
  • Carl Brannstrom
    "Tron Bonne is only played whilst in her suit. Tron Bonne, in this example, would be considered the person + the suit. One character."

What if the suit is, let say, an animal?

ANSWER: If this is how you choose to re-imagine your fighter, yes. If the fighter you choose is originally played whilst riding an animal/mech/whatever, then it is safe to assume that the fighter encompasses both entities.

Additionally, you are welcome to add whatever you need to to your fighter in order to reach your goal. If you decided that, in your universe, Ryu has become a quadriplegic and can only fight with the assistance of a love powered bio-mechanical-wheelchair-suit, then so be it! So long as it is apparent that you're re-imagining Ryu and not just putting his name on some vegetable in a suit. :]
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you take a stage from something like Smash Bros. Brawl (2d) and reinterpret for a game like Soul Calibur (3d) along with the visual reinterpretation?

ANSWER: Simply taking a previously 2D environment and realizing it in 3D would not be considered a re-imagination of a stage. In the same vein, taking a fixed camera stage (Street Fighter) and turning it into a free roaming camera stage (Soul Calibur) is perfectly fine, but this should not be the only change you make to the environment. Also, you will still need to adhere to the environmental presentation and submission guidelines.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    It was asked (but unanswered I believe) in the GD thread I believe, but what are the policies on nudity?

ANSWER: Nudity is acceptable ONLY if done in good taste and if it serves a purpose in the design of your character.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey is there any limitation/rule to having background characters in your stage? Many SF stages have crowds, are you allowed to add these in? I remember some enviro comp in the past did not allow this sorta thing..

ANSWER: CONFIRMED: Crowds/background characters/creatures are entirely OPTIONAL, however they CANNOT be the primary focus of your scene. All characters/creatures created will count towards your overall budget.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's a good question, I'll have to confirm that for you. But I think it would be a safe bet to assume not to have characters/crowds in your scene. Statues and human forms would definitely be acceptable.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    STAGE question.
    I assume background "watching/cheering crowd" is not acceptable.
    Is it NO to any even slightest "lifeform" (such as a small animal or bird maybe)?
    Are background -significant- vehicles acceptable (e.g. train, airplane, spaceship, a mech etc.)
    ty

ANSWER: CONFIRMED: Crowds/background characters/creatures are entirely OPTIONAL, however they CANNOT be the primary focus of your scene. All characters/creatures created will count towards your overall budget.
    Vehicles are acceptable so long as they are an integral part of the design (ie. Guile's Stage - Street Fighter).
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can we find out if our re-imagination is acceptable before we start modelling?

ANSWER: We will be going through as many (if not all) the threads to make sure everything is fine. But with the sheer amount of entries we can't exactly approve every idea individually. Use your best judgement when re-designing/re-imagining your FIGHTER/STAGE. This will be apart of the final judging criteria. If you are unsure that your idea is acceptable, feel free to ask in this thread.
  • Dr. Kalashnikov
    Would something like an art style change be enough for a stage?

ANSWER: Copy/Paste from previous Q&A: A stark difference in visual style from the original material is enough to meet the brief. Will this be enough to win, though?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    You say its okay to use DX11-features like tesselation. How does the tesselation count towards the polylimit?

ANSWER: Regarding DX-11 features, they were more aimed at the new UDK rendering features, such as DoF, lighting, reflections, etc. Not so much the tessellation side. Your final submissions in it's entirety must still adhere to the designated poly budget for your FIGHTER/STAGE.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The guidelines for what does and does not count as a reinterpretation are a little vague at this point. It'd be good to have some clear examples and a general concept of what you're looking for.

ANSWER: The nature of this contest does leave a lot for interpretation; this is true. There are well over 100 entries so far and the vast majority of the entries are falling within the guidelines. If you are unsure if your reinterpretation is acceptable, feel free to ask in this thread.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Question ,i would like to make Cody from Final Fight,i know rules state only fighting games and no beat em up's,though Capcom included him as a bonus character in Street Fighter i reckon,so am i good to go with this one? :)

ANSWER: Playable bonus characters are good to go.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stage question again :)
    U mentioned 2 widescreen shots for the presentation.
    If the stage is 2d gameplay type should it's length fit a widescreen or it is supposed to be longer (and that when we need those 2 shots to show it)?

ty

ANSWER: Either. So long as your stage is as visible as possible and you're adhering to the resolution requirements:
  • Shendoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shendoo polycounter lvl 13
    I can participate, making a character and a scene?

ANSWER: Artists are welcome to create as many fighters or stages that they feel they have the time and energy for. However, each entry must be submitted separately, with a separate progression thread for each.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the naming of our STAGE threads/entires.
    If I cannot find "official" name of a stage that i have chosen (maybe it even does not have any name originally), can I give it my own name (i hope descriptive enough tho)?

ty

ANSWER: This is fine. Try and be as quickly descriptive with the title as you can be. Also, be sure to include reference shots of the original in your thread.
  • ktep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that in the rules that teams are not allowed, but I just want some clarification on it. I'll be doing all of the final 3D while my friend will mostly be designing the 2D concept for me to work from. Is that ok?

ANSWER: Fighter submission is for a single artist only. An additional artist for concept is not permitted. Stage submission is for a maximum of two artists; however you wish to break that down.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we recruit animator's help to make the final pose as long as we rigged it and made all morph targets/facial rigging ourselves?

ANSWER: An additional artist, no matter how small the role, is not permitted.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Keeping faith to the original character but also doing solid justic to a re-imagination is pretty subjective.

I was wondering if you guys could clarify, or best yet, post some images of what you think falls into the spectrum of this?

I feel this is different for every character since some can lose their "look and feel" fast by changing too many things.

i believe my question kind of ties into what was asked before about changing styles etc... more than making like a cybernetic Ken or a mythological Saberwulf.

Thanks!

ANSWER: Let's use Ken for example, what are his key design characteristics? Blonde hair, long eyebrows, red gi, hand wraps.
    Now let's say that we make a cybernetic Ken, we tech him out with body armour and such, but we still retain his blond hair, his long eyebrows and we colour his armour red. You've re-imagined the character and yet kept some key elements of his visual identity.
    How far you're willing to take this is entirely up to you.
  • 3dsculpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dsculpt polycounter lvl 11
    hello everyone , im thinking in enter in the challenge...
    i just have a question ... i just want to know if i can use a character from dissidia final fantasy... thank you very much

ANSWER: After watching some gameplay videos, Final Fantasy Dissidia doesn't entirely match the traditional fighter genre. So unfortunately you will not be able to submit a character from this game.

EDIT: Characters from Dissidia have been approved for use.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This might have been already answered with the Tron Bonne example, but just in case, is a fighter that is composed of 2 people ok? Wanting to give Mauru and Mugi from Waku Waku 7 a try, they are always together, the girl doesn't do much other than cling to Mauru's back : http://www.mugenation.com/images/chars/Waku%20Waku%207/mauru.gif or http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/neogeo/b/ww7-1.png

ANSWER: Mauru and Mugi would be considered the same entity/fighter, since they are persistently together, and never playable separately.
  • FrozZT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering if there's any way for us 2d/concept people to contribute and participate? I understand that there is no 2d category and that there is no possibility to compete.

Basically I was very inspired by the subject and badly want to participate any way possible doing a 2d character. If it's just to try and inspire the competitors in the 3D category that's great. I know there's a bunch of 2d guys that really want to take part somehow. Would it be a good idea to make a single thread in the challenge forum for all the 2d people to dump their work in?

Is this a good way to participate unofficially and sharing our stuff, or how should we go about it?

-Niklas

ANSWER: Unfortunately at present there is no official way for a 2D artist to participate in this contest by producing exclusively 2D artwork.
    However, you are more than welcome to create an UNOFFICIAL thread in the Pimping & Previews section of the forum and invite other 2D artists to participate.
  • Jamizzles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an idea for a pretty amusing redesign, but it is from a wrestling game. Are these considered within the genre of fighting games? I noticed them listed in the wiki that was linked in the reference thread.

ANSWER: There may only be a fine line between Wrestling Games and Fighting Games. However, there is still a distinction. As such, Fighters and Stages from Wrestling Games will not be permitted in the BRAWL Contest. If you decide on a title to pull from, check its associate wiki or official website for the genre it is considered.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if i were to make a single texture file (.TGA or whatever) like this:
    R: Specular
    G: Gloss
    B: Emmission
    A: Displacement

would that be allowed, and if so, which "texture pass" does it count as?

ANSWER: This is allowed. So long as the main file does not surpass the resolution limits. Which pass it's considered isn't really an issue, since you could do each one of these on a separate pass just as easily.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Hey, so I saw that a few other people are doing characters that have secondary characters that come in every now and then. I know that the rules are only one single character, but I'm planning on doing Zappa from Guilty Gear, and I'm wondering if I would be allowed to do all of his summons in some manner, or include S-Ko at the least, since I feel they're really inherent to the character as a whole. But this sounds like it's a no-go, and I can only do Zappa; is that correct?

ANSWER: Correct, you would only be able to re-imagine Zappa. If there are any entries that are on the wrong track, they will be informed via their thread.
  • Bwample1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bwample1 polycounter lvl 8
    Say I take the key notes of cyclops.
    -mutant
    -eyes emit powerful beam
    -but uses a mech piece to control this power.

and put these keynotes into a complete new design? Is that the goal with this?

example (big gross mutant that has one big eye that uses random parts that it put together, fish bowl, camera lens, glue, mud, to stop the beam from killing everything around it.)

or is it

On the other side i have seen people literally just turn someone into a robot version of the starting character. Not changing the concept of the character just making robot parts.

example

i make cyclops look like the original cyclops and just make his clothes look older and make his eye cover steam punk and call it done. Is this ok as well??

I am confused.

ANSWER: The answer can't be any more straight forward: Take an existing fighter or stage and do a reinterpretation of your choice. You are not doing brand new fighters or stages.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Texture question:

Is the spirit of the character texture limitations memory use, or just general guideline for a character?
    Can we make use of textures for non-traditional/additional passes in our material setup so long as each individual texture does not exceed 2048? or should it be that we have a limited overall vram budget?
    Examples: Sub surface scattering dermal, and bloody dermal layer maps. Tileing detail normal maps. Facial expression normal maps. Toon line detail overlays.

What about cubemaps for reflection or lighting information? Should overall texture size for all faces fit within 2048 or can each face of the cube be up to 2048?

ANSWER: Non-standard maps, like your sub surface maps, etc. etc. each get their own pass and therefor cannot exceed the texture limit per pass of 2048x2048
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    Id like to do a stage from one of the Marvel vs capcom games, but these tend to be double the height of most fighters.

How you want these presented? They might look odd with the standard proportions.

ANSWER: Fit your environment within the resolutions given.