Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Mike5424 wrote: »
    No idea if this has been asked and if there is an answer, But is there any way of stopping steam from displaying me as in UDK? It's just that sometimes i can't be asked to work on something and normally i'll tell the people who i'm currently working on a project with that I am working on it, But with it showing if i'm in it or not, It makes it hard.

Dont install UDK from Steam :)
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Then set you steam chat to offline, or just don't have steam running when you run UDK.
  • Ani
    It's easy to disable Steam in UDK but hard to find out how! :poly116:

In your UDK directory - UDKGame\Config\DefaultEngineUDK.ini
    Right near the top, set bEnableSteam to false.

Pissed me right off too!
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    this is maybe very noob question but
    how to mute all audio in udk ?
  • Dn2
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    there is a 'toggle real time audio' button next to the build buttons if thats what you mean...
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    umm but it still playing loudly when i test the game ..
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    nvm I found it setAudioGroupVolume <GroupName> <Volume>

play the game
    press tab
    type
    setAudioGroupVolume Master 00
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Does anyone know when and if tessellation will be made available in UDK. I heard Jan 2011 can anyone confirm that date? I would love to have a play with this feature.

When I say tessellation I mean like this-Uniengine
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU&amp;feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HWZKGZcKoA[/ame]
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    after watching that video.. still not getting what you are meaning when u say tessellation.

edit: OH WOW! saw it here a bit better explained

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU[/ame]

looks really cool. hopefully udk will impliment something like that.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qFPiAnyUjE[/ame]
    hey baby, im just monkeying around with the udk lately.
    is there any tips to get the facial animation to correctly match with the voice sound? ( it does match in xsi)
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    xvampire wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qFPiAnyUjE
    hey baby, im just monkeying around with the udk lately.
    is there any tips to get the facial animation to correctly match with the voice sound? ( it does match in xsi)
    Are you ready to open a huge can of worms?
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    ummm ... u mean it involve script change ? :o??? >.< ..ouchie
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are having problems with sync then it's the trigger for the event (guessing you have one long animation and one long audio track). If you want UDK to drive it, then you need to:
    • transcribe the recording.
    • export phonemes/mesh from xsi using FaceFX. Be careful with the text file that lists the frames/phoneme. No blank spaces.
    • In UDK start up FaceFX.
    • Load text and audio.
    • Edit phoneme chart to fit the text.
    • Link each XSI phoneme to the FaceFX phoneme chart, also link the text to audio track.
    • Play back the audio and fix all the phoneme errors from the automated function.
    Save and save often, it crashes and some parts have no un-dos.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    lol maybe not now ....

but ^ thanks ^^
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hello guys! Sorry to bother you again, but I'm in a dire need of your advice. Again. I have a wierd issue with udk lighting or with detail lighting to be precise.

LightingProb.gif
    Here's a picture that shows, how wierd dark blobs appear all over my scene in detail lighting mode and in lit mod too.=( Makes me a sad panda.=( Anything like this ever happened to you?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    d1ver wrote: »
    Hello guys! Sorry to bother you again, but I'm in a dire need of your advice. Again. I have a wierd issue with udk lighting or with detail lighting to be precise.

LightingProb.gif
    Here's a picture that shows, how wierd dark blobs appear all over my scene in detail lighting mode and in lit mod too.=( Makes me a sad panda.=( Anything like this ever happened to you?
    A picture ? What picture ? There is nothing...
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    http://artisaverb.info/Garage/LightingProb.gif
    here's a strait forward link. It's a 2 frame animation gif . Might take a little to load but works fine with me. =(
    Strange.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a normal map...
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Lamont, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with either normal map or lightmass. But it isn't any specific normal map - since this stuff is practically everywhere. And this wall(and floor too) has a tilable material this is tiled quite a few times across the surface. So it сan't be some sort of a blob on a normal map itself, but rather the way NMs interact with the lightmass.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, there's a setting to use the normal map like that with Lightmass. Are you in UDK Mobile?
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    No I'm not. I'm using the August build. Maybe I should update...
    And what kind of settings are you talking about? I know that Epic added normal map data into baking algorithm, but that's about all I know. I guess I should've looked through UDN and Lightmass settings before posting. I'll check it out in the morning.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    lightmassnormalinfluenc.jpg
    so yeah, here's the switch that helped. Although I still don't get how this stuff works and what caused it. What I did was basically turn off the feature of using NMs with Lightmass. Seems like could be bugs. I guess I should update. And yeah - it hasnt completely gone away - on more curvy surfaces things are still weird.

lightprobstill.gif
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2236/lightprobstill.gif - link to the gif(just in case)

Have to try to update. Weird that no one seems to have stumbled upon it. I wonder what I did that's so different.
  • crasong
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, I've been looking around for an answer, can't find one yet.

I've been building the GUI and HUD for my group project, and I've been trying to make a main menu.

mainmenuKismet.png

The setup is for a UIscene to overlay a matinee camera loop that i made as a backdrop. The thing is, I can't seem to find a way to link the button in the UIscene to this kismet, nor can i find an event like "on scene closed" or something. In fact if I could figure out how to get that kind of functionality, that would be great for a lot of other things in the game as well.

Hope I was clear enough!

P.S the problem at the moment is that if i click the "start game" button in the UIscene, it closes the scene, and then the matinee just loops forever.
  • doggett
    "The thing is, I can't seem to find a way to link the button in the UIscene to this kismet"

I haven't tried much of kismet/Ui Scene, but The 3D Buzz tutorials seem pretty comprehensive on the subject... Link to UDN Video tuts
    That may give you the answers your after!

MY problem with UDK (Dec build)...
    I duplicate a mesh or material and after a random amount of time as it's not in use in the scene UDK unloads it.
    Problem is... it won't allow me to fully load my package or the mesh/material (the option is greyed out)

So I tried saving all and restarting Unreal then opening the file again and the mesh/material has dissapeared completely.

I've searched for a solution to no avail so far.

It's happened before where materials just dissapeared (ie. if I reimported a mesh and the texture slots no's changed) so I had to build them again.

It's like it auto-cleanses!
  • Cyph3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    crasong wrote: »
    *snip*

I thought you had to make menu's using scaleform now?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    @Crasong = console event or make a command to send to open and close it.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r wrote: »
    I thought you had to make menu's using scaleform now?

you can. i personally prefer it, tho when i was talking with a friend who is helping with our hud for a project, he said that he now prefers to do it in kismet since they removed the old UI system.
  • crasong
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Lamont, thanks!, found what I was looking for, Level Event within the UIScene actually can link up with a remote event in the main kismet, it's just that the red cross wont change to a green tick, even though the connection is there.
  • NoctyQ
    This might be kind of a stupid question but if I don't ask it I'll probably feel insecure and confused for the rest of my life.

#1 - Is there any way to have a lightmap merged with a layer of AO?!
    #2 - Could I have a dynamic lightmap that works like AO in udk?(only filling crevices)

In this case I want to have a tileable texture but still preserve some details I made from a very basic Highpoly. Normal map isn't relevant.

I can easily make this with xnormal and photoshop but its a different matter when it comes to udk.

I like using this setup in Marmoset Toolbag but it would be cool if I could either export the specific lightmap and overlay it in photoshop and then import it again or find another solution.

Edit: This thread might not be as active as I thought. Would still love a answer anyway.
  • planaria
    was looking around for a tutorial or atleast a material picture breakdown of how to get the z up texture blending via a heightmap for models for when you want to put snow or sand ontop of a model into a scene for instance.

i fail at search please halp !
  • Ben Apuna
    @planaria:

What you want sounds similar to The Pit project Virtuosic is working on.

EDIT:

I think this one is exactly what you are looking for:

Up Vector + HeightMap Blending - Demo
  • Ben Apuna
    @NoctyQ:

After reading and re-reading your post, I'm still not exactly sure what you want to do.

Maybe these links will help you out:

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Ambient_Occlusion_Tutorial.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html#Ambient%20Occlusion
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone know when and if tessellation will be made available in UDK. I heard Jan 2011 can anyone confirm that date? I would love to have a play with this feature.

Here's an interesting link:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=752085&highlight=tessellation

seems as if the beginnings are already being added, just not yet fully exposed in the public releases.
    The screenshots of the tesseallations in the licensed copy got me pretty excited.

But then again some of the exposed features ( dropdown menus, etc. ) in
    the November release were taken out of the Jan release.
    I hope that doesn't mean that they are backing out of implementing.

Gotta stop playing the stone giant benchmark... The long wait in
    attacking a first stab at such a pipeline is killing me. ( gimme gime gimme )

Also it is nerve-racking when the majority of Artists out there aren't
    giving input on new tech as it develops.
  • kyle.rau
    Offline / Send Message
    kyle.rau polycounter lvl 8
    Maya 2011 FBX exporter is not bringing over smooth edges (smoothing groups) to unreal. I import into Unreal and all the edges are hard. I have seriously tried every combination of settings. Any suggestions?

[edit]
    woops. i feel like i do this a lot....uhhh tick explicit normals when importing in unreal if anyone else has had the same issue. :D
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Has anybody had any problems with Cascade with the January version? We have the December build at school and it seems to run much better than the Jan build. I downloaded the latest and it runs like shit on my computer, not sure if it's my ATI 4870 not liking it or if my Core 2 Duo isn't cutting it anymore.

Either way, it's goddamn annoying and I'm going to try and download the December build to see if it works better.
  • ES_139
    have deco layers been disabled in the Jan build? I was following a terrain tutorial went to ass my deco layer but couldnt add a staticmeshfactory. I then read that foliage layers had been disabled in favour of 'landscapes' which I had not heard of before, can anyone shine some light on this for me?
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    i think they were taken out in november
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Quick Q: I thought I'd import some models quick and dirty into my UDK scene without having unwrapped them. (It also has some open faces, but so did a few other props.)

Slapped on a grey material, dropped them in the world, built everything and it looked fine.

...but when I 'play in viewport' the mesh isn't visible. Only the shadow is there. Any Ideas? What't the minimum requirement for having a mesh show up in game?
  • Ben Apuna
    @fearian:

Did you save the package containing the meshes?

Oh and open faces is not a problem at all.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Argh! I knew it would be something simple I missed! haha!

That's what I get from staying up till 3.30 am :I
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Can someone hook me up with the some help on the new Sub-Surface Scattering on this thing?

I've enabled the SSS in the Material, but then none of the additional inputs seem to do anything.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Can someone hook me up with the some help on the new Sub-Surface Scattering on this thing?

I've enabled the SSS in the Material, but then none of the additional inputs seem to do anything.
    Did you intend to post an image of the shader network?
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Not sure how new it is (seeing as I'm a UDK noob)

But in the Material Editor, there's:
    SubsurfaceInscatteringColor
    SubsurfaceAbsorptionColor
    SubsurfaceScatteringRadius

and the property:
    Enable Subsurface Scattering

Apparently it's a bit new, but I can't find any documentation or tutorials about it.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll dick around with it tonight. Interesting. They do have a material network that does this as well.
  • NoctyQ
    I'm pretty sure that there is some setting that I need to fix.
    Everytime I alter the scen after I've done the lightning this artifact occurs. Is there some way to disable some lightning property and get it to go away while I make the stuff and then re-enable it later on? I use ATI if it would happen to be drivers related.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15123461/Balmora_Reborn/_Screenshots01/fixit.jpg
    EDIT: Fixed it.. Cast dynamic shadows should be ticked off..
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Not sure how new it is (seeing as I'm a UDK noob)

But in the Material Editor, there's:
    SubsurfaceInscatteringColor
    SubsurfaceAbsorptionColor
    SubsurfaceScatteringRadius

and the property:
    Enable Subsurface Scattering

Apparently it's a bit new, but I can't find any documentation or tutorials about it.
    I got it working, it was what I suspected. Will tweak it a bit and post a screenshot. Pretty damn cool.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, first edit the BaseEngine.ini and find the line:

AllowSubsurfaceScattering=False

Change that to True.

Second (just to be sure) for some reason I don't get the compile warning. But it looks like it does, so I just did a full recompile using Unreal Frontend.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Mr.Lamont, you get a STAR!

:D

Thx a ton!
  • tlovemark
    Hey, so I've got a little question about vertex colors.

So I have an older static mesh in a package that has default vertex colors (all white) which I want to replace with a new spiffier mesh that has some vertices with custom colors (mesh is a tree branch, vertex colors used to vary leaf colors much like you'd see in autumn).

I thought I could just adjust the vertex colors in max and then reimport the static mesh over itself, much like I would do if I was correcting a geometry problem.

However, when reimported, UDK does not update the vertex colors.

I ran a little test and imported the new mesh by itself under a different name to check if the vertex colors were even being imported at all. The new test mesh was being imported correctly with vertex colors, so the object is definitely leaving max without issues.

Is there a way to simply re-import the mesh and force UDK to replace the vertex colors? The mesh is part of a large level, and there's a few hundred of them place around, so if anyone knows of a way I can just reimport the new mesh with updated vertex colors, it would save me the massive headache of having to replace them all by hand.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    well u wouldnt have to replace them all by hand. if you select one of the static meshes in the level, using the hotkey CTRL+SHIFT+A you will select all of the same type of mesh. then in the static mesh properties, you can choose which mesh to use. so if you did reimport as a new mesh, you would only have to change the mesh directory and they will all change to the new correct mesh, and still be in the same place.