Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ColonelBD
    @Cbast: That looks pretty cool! I would definately increase the size of the metre though, its just way too small at the moment.
  • Cbast
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    3724bfbddca42f6a03cd179363152.jpg

Like that ? By the way, is there a way to remove the attribute which make the cloak meter in "Fullbright". I mean, I want it to be affected by ambiant lighting.

Thanks. (I'm also interested in the question of Fusedgore)
  • Aluca
    bearhead03.jpg

Still working on the texture, but I'd like to know what you guys think. I was thinking on trying to match the claws, or maybe would be better on the soldier with a different approach?

@Swizzle Can't wait to see it implemented, great work as usual.

@JoseConseco, Dr.cube really neat hats, great job.
  • ComfyCushion
    As much as I like that watch, Cbast, you're making it a bit difficult to use in game.
  • Cbast
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    As much as I like that watch, Cbast, you're making it a bit difficult to use in game.

You're right... I have to find something to make a visible cloak meter without hiding the rest of the watch.
  • Dr.cube
    I really like that watch, you should make the metre even bigger though. Make it out line the edge of the glass. Right now it feels like it gets in the way of being able to see all the cool bits that are inside.
  • The Scrub
    alrighty then!

I have the model in game with textures and all that (Sniper Rifle)!

The only two problems are:

a) the model is way too shiny

b)the model is positioned incorrectly (he is holding the barrel with his right hand so yeah)

The Rifle itself is ideally proportioned but I can't move the rifle in any direction to fix this problem as it remains the same each time.

I attached the rifle to the Sydney Sleepers weapon bone but it won't work and the mdl compiler keeps telling me that the model has no bones despite having precisely one which may be a big cause of problem b.

itemtest0000.jpg

dadadada image!
  • Aluca
    @The Scrub Are you changing the position of the model around in object mode? If so you need to make sure to apply the transformations (Ctrl+A, Blender 2.55) to validate the changes. You can see the current position pressing N at the 3d view.
  • The Scrub
    Aluca wrote: »
    @The Scrub Are you changing the position of the model around in object mode? If so you need to make sure to apply the transformations (Ctrl+A, Blender 2.55) to validate the changes. You can see the current position pressing N at the 3d view.

nope that's not it... I've checked because I honestly had no idea that existed but no I don't think that's it :(
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    fusedgore wrote: »
    Hey all anyone know how long it usualy takes valve if your items is going to get in to get back to you ,or if your image /model isnt going to get in .

You don't get any e-mail from Valve ever unless they need your payment info if your item is going on the Mann Co. Store. Kind of strange that they never e-mail people to tell them their items are going in the game, but it makes sense to not e-mail everyone who isn't going in the game.
  • Sharkisss
    I need your help on this.

Which one of these are more better. The 1 or 2. If none then tell your opinion.

eywsg.jpg
  • Bishop
    Sharkisss wrote: »

eywsg.jpg

Didn't someone make this previously?
  • ಠ_ಠ
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Working on a little something for the medieval mode. I considered just building it in Hammer, but it'd be a pain in the ass to get that many brush entities to follow the track and not glitch all to hell.

Oh, did I mention it's the cart?

90PJE.jpg

It's... it's beautiful... O_O

Okay, one question: You do know this is probably going to be super buggy, due to the way Source handles players on moving objects in multiplayer, right?
  • JZeeba
    So, after a break I decided to start again with a hat I made but didn't quite like... it's supposed to be one of those Asian rice hats, ideally called the "Asian Mercenary".

problem #1. I think it looks more like a lamp :D!
    problem #2. I don't quite like the colors, and the texture looks too clean
    problem #3. the geometry clips when carrying the rocket launcher :(

so I was thinking of whether I should make it higher or narrower or both? or throw away the idea and start with another?

upcpmountainlab0069.png

upcpmountainlab0039.png

You can see the clipping in this one :(
    upcpmountainlab0048clip.png

upcpmountainlab0042.png

Reference image I used:
    referencez.jpg

what do you guys think?? I will appreciate any comments, however harsh they may be :P

JZ
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The ronin hat (not sure of the correct name) usually has a slot or some holes in it so the wearer can see out. You can actually see them on your reference if you look closely.
    komuso85.jpg

I think you haven't quite captured the proportions quite right. I can see you've scaled it down a little so it doesn't hide his entire head, which is probably a good idea, but the shape itself could use a little tweaking.

I'd suggest going with a colour scheme that features the natural fibre colour predominantly. What you've got currently looks like a giant knitted hat which isn't really ideal. You could add a simple coloured band somewhere on the hat to denote team colour.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    Sharkisss wrote: »

eywsg.jpg
    Mann Co makes weapons, so I wouldn't think it would fit on that. Maybe go with the Engineer class icon, or try to come up with something else.
  • The Scrub
    looks like I'll need Milkshape 3D for all my models because now it works
    I downloaded MS3D onto an old laptop with a faulty battery that turns off every time I unplug it (the craptop) and now I have another 30 days to work with it

testff.jpg
    there's still some clipping and it shines as if it was permanently wet but at least it works
  • JoseConseco
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Aluca wrote: »
    bearhead03.jpg

Still working on the texture, but I'd like to know what you guys think. I was thinking on trying to match the claws, or maybe would be better on the soldier with a different approach?

@Swizzle Can't wait to see it implemented, great work as usual.

@JoseConseco, Dr.cube really neat hats, great job.
    Ah man, I wanted to make bear too, I guess I will go with panda then... Looks ok man, but maybe moving whole hat up the head like here:
    47ae47be7ef83_51986n.jpg

dr. cube - cool chicken. Maybe use more gray color instead of pure white. I mean there is really no 100% white color in tf2, most of stuff have creamy color (eg skull of deer on one of your ingame screens)
  • Sharkisss
    I dont know. Just the emblem on it does not fit it. Maybe it needs a normal map ?

pails.jpg
  • Contrails
    @JZeeba, might just be me but when I think of an Asian conical hat, I usually think of one of these: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Rice_02.jpg a smaller one might solve your clipping issues... but anyways looking at jackablade's reference, the model could do with being more frayed on the edges, just a little fraying here and there and an uneven top. I wouldn't use the colors as that messes with the identification as straw.

@sharkiss - I'd stray away from either one, maybe just use a simple pattern
  • Sharkisss
    So you suggest just to leave it like this ?

akhnf.jpg
  • Cbast
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    JZeeba Looks really fun \o/ I want one!

I've succefully made my animation and exported it in Source (The anim work in HLMV). I worked on the c_model. Now, I want to make the animation work in the viewmodel.

As far as I understood, I have to export my animation with the "Idle" animation of the spys arms. But I have no idea how to do that.

I mean, I can't manage to import source animation into Maya. (The bones are not imported either). So, can I overide this problem by qc file or make a fusion between my animation and Idle ?

Thank.
  • Aluca
    @Sharkisss: Maybe you could add extrusions at the top and bottom to break the shape.
    Ah man, I wanted to make bear too, I guess I will go with panda then... Looks ok man, but maybe moving whole hat up the head like here:
    IMG

I see your point and I'll try once I finish the texture, thanks for the feedback.

Here are some pics from the hat compiled ingame yesterday, all crits & critique welcomed

pf001.jpg
    f001y.jpg
    s001i.jpg
  • Cronotic
    Dr.cube wrote: »
    Another hat:
    chickens.jpg

This is probably my favorite one I've made so far.

Just stuck a basic texture on it so I still need to do a proper one . This will also be my 1st go at jigglebones.

It looks like the behemoth mascot http://gamingallthetime.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/behemoth1.jpg but still a pretty good hat :)
  • Invader Fluff
    AOCheck.jpg
    Here's an update on my cloche hat with ambient occlusion applied, now that I actually know how to do it and what it is. I just want to make sure the material looks okay before I move on with it and add the flower. I want the hat to look like it's made of the same material Madame Dixie is made of, and the flower, which will be on the side of the hat, will be the same flower on the pyro's purse.
  • Invader Fluff
    129364830449.jpg
    I went ahead and did the flower. I just really wanted to see the hat with it on. Let me know what you think.
  • Dr.cube
    It looks like the behemoth mascot http://gamingallthetime.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/behemoth1.jpg but still a pretty good hat :)
    Oh wow it does.
    But i actually got the idea after seeing this:
    cat-with-hats-13.jpg
  • Veko
    felt like doing some modelling today, so I started a new little project, The Australian Bromance

the-australian-bromance.jpg

ready to start texturing ^^
  • JZeeba
    @Jackablade - Thanks for that image!, I'll try tweaking the geometry based on that one

@Contrails - Definitely will try some fraying on the edges :)

@Cbast - thx :)
  • Dashtoronto
    Jackablade wrote: »
    The ronin hat (not sure of the correct name) usually has a slot or some holes in it so the wearer can see out. You can actually see them on your reference if you look closely.
    komuso85.jpg

I think you haven't quite captured the proportions quite right. I can see you've scaled it down a little so it doesn't hide his entire head, which is probably a good idea, but the shape itself could use a little tweaking.

I'd suggest going with a colour scheme that features the natural fibre colour predominantly. What you've got currently looks like a giant knitted hat which isn't really ideal. You could add a simple coloured band somewhere on the hat to denote team colour.

Jzeeba,

with regards to scaling it down a little so it doesn't hide his entire head.....

i don't think you should do that. I think the hat looks nicely intimidating in its actual large size in terms of engulfing the entire head.

There was an appearance of a very cool villian in the movie, "Big Trouble in Little China" with Kurt Russel, where the guy had a hat like that and it totally covered the entire head.

I would post a pic, but i'm at work...
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Veko wrote: »
    felt like doing some modelling today, so I started a new little project, The Australian Bromance

the-australian-bromance.jpg

ready to start texturing ^^

Really really cool concept ! :poly121:
    And love the first rought of the shape, look very good according to TF2 world.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Jzeeba,

with regards to scaling it down a little so it doesn't hide his entire head.....

i don't think you should do that. I think the hat looks nicely intimidating in its actual large size in terms of engulfing the entire head.

There was an appearance of a very cool villian in the movie, "Big Trouble in Little China" with Kurt Russel, where the guy had a hat like that and it totally covered the entire head.

Ah of course. I was trying to think yesterday of which western movie it was that I'd seen people wearing them. I think that first tiny thumbnail image you've got there might actually be the Three Storms from Big Trouble in Little China.
    norm-4cc83e973f911-Big+Trouble+in+Little+China+(1986).jpeg
    Lots of good references.
  • 55joe
    was doing this gun for an unrelated model that i posted here a couple weeks ago, but seeing how it fits the sniper im going to be submitting this to this contest ! hopefuly ill get some dollaz
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7418/guns2t.jpg
    edit:ill submit lower version instead of highrez post
  • ಠ_ಠ
    55joe wrote: »
    was doing this gun for an unrelated model that i posted here a couple weeks ago, but seeing how it fits the sniper im going to be submitting this to this contest ! hopefuly ill get some dollaz
    guns2t.jpg

Jesus, there's gotta be like, a gazillion polys in there...
  • 55joe
    edit: just gona post lower 1 soon.
  • fusedgore
    Offline / Send Message
    fusedgore polycounter lvl 13
    55 with what you have there .You could always do a cg version of tf2 still .That gun fits perfectly dude .
  • Cbast
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    I really like your rifle 55joe. I hope to see more soon ! :D

Alright then :

01ea20da5c7fc3cbfafb9d3e676f3.png

(This is my first source model, my first "fake" update page, my first animation, I hope it's not too bad...)
  • Dashtoronto
    Cbast wrote: »
    I really like your rifle 55joe. I hope to see more soon ! :D

Alright then :

01ea20da5c7fc3cbfafb9d3e676f3.png

(This is my first source model, my first "fake" update page, my first animation, I hope it's not too bad...)

Nice.................but................what does it do when you feed it with your own blood?
  • Cbast
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    I thought about life losing to feed the cloak. I mean, you've 100% all damage resistance. But you lose 5hp per second cloaked. You have 25 second of invisibility before dying.
    A bit like a cursed watch.

But if someone have a better idea around this theme I'll be glad to hear it \o/
  • RedSheep
    I've been meaning to ask this, but how high poly is that watch? It's very nice looking but I can't help but feel that all the inner workings make it a very high in polycount.
  • Dashtoronto
    Cbast wrote: »
    I thought about life losing to feed the cloak. I mean, you've 100% all damage resistance. But you lose 5hp per second cloaked. You have 25 second of invisibility before dying.
    A bit like a cursed watch.

But if someone have a better idea around this theme I'll be glad to hear it \o/

lol

no, that sucks (excuse the irony)

that doesn't sound like fun. You're suggesting making the spy even weaker and even more limited by sapping his very limited life gauge.

what i suggest is - when feeding the watch - the watch takes half your life guage and gives you a second cloak guage ontop of the first one. For the price of half of your limited life, you get twice as much cloak. Sounds like a fair trade.

*waits for everyone to scream "Overpowered"*
  • Cbast
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    8078 tris. The Dead Ringer is around 7500 as far as I remember.

EDIT : OVERPOWERED ! Hahaha, looks really fun ! :)
  • JZeeba
    Jzeeba,

I've made some changes to the geometry, it still covers his head, but it's a bit narrow in the base... I've tried to make some fraying on the edges but it needs the texture to see if that would be enough.

I knew I had seen a hat like that in a movie!! I just didn't remember which one was it, thanks!!, also thanks to @Jackablade for pointing that out :)

It probably won't clip that much now, and the top doesn't look like a light bulb. I'm not too convinced of the holes in the hat right now, probably they should be more and smaller, but that would increase the polycount a lot. Right now it's about 850 tris.

asianmercenarytest3.png

asianmercenarytest5.png

asianmercenarytest7.png
  • JZeeba
  • Art-Machine
    About that watch's function : Would it be overpowered if while active, it made you able to pass through the other team's members while disguised as one of them (but you're unable to go invisible with it)? Just trying to think of something besides just the same ol invisibility thing...

Or maybe something as simple as being fireproof while active, fire won't reveal you're a spy while disguised, but they'd still be able to spot you from your health depleting from the watch.
  • Dashtoronto
    About that watch's function : Would it be overpowered if while active, it made you able to pass through the other team's members while disguised as one of them (but you're unable to go invisible with it)? Just trying to think of something besides just the same ol invisibility thing...

Or maybe something as simple as being fireproof while active, fire won't reveal you're a spy while disguised, but they'd still be able to spot you from your health depleting from the watch.

No, that sucks. (excuse the irony.....again)

You do have a point when you say everyone keeps making items that just cause/effect the same things. It gets boring.
    But in this case, there's nothing wrong with it being the same ol invisibility thing. I actually think this item would actually be extremely cool if it actually did grant the user twice as much cloak in exchange of half the user's life guage (or renews the user's cloak - whichever comes first).

I often do find myself short on cloak whilst in the middle of a very dangerous position - right in the middle of enemy's territory and in dire need of more cloak...would be awesome if i had the choice of trading my life guage for a little more cloak just to get away of a very dangerous position.

"what i suggest is - when feeding the watch - the watch takes half your life guage and gives you a second cloak guage ontop of the first one. For the price of half of your limited life, you get twice as much cloak. Sounds like a fair trade."
  • mistersneak
    May I suggest an alternative design for the bloody watch?
    -15% Max HP
    -15% movement speed while cloaked
    If spy is bleeding, removes "bleed" effect when activated and, grants 5 seconds of "free" cloaking. (No effect if already cloaked when bleed effect starts)
    +25% cloak recharge after successful backstab
  • mistersneak
    I'll comment additionally that I do like the idea of using your life gauge as an additional cloak meter, but it would need an additional drawback. If it operates exactly as the regular cloak, plus you have the option to run it into your health bar, then it's juts better.
    If you prefer that design, perhaps it could have a simple drawback like not allowing metal to recharge it, or increasing blink or cloak time.
    Alternatively, you could just have it drain your life alone, and it would just drain slower than the cloak typically would. This would allow the spy to pickup medkits to really get around the enemy base and is a clearly alternative choice... not better or worse.
  • Art-Machine
    I often do find myself short on cloak whilst in the middle of a very dangerous position - right in the middle of enemy's territory and in dire need of more cloak...would be awesome if i had the choice of trading my life guage for a little more cloak just to get away of a very dangerous position.
    The problem is you're imagining a situation where you have the normal watch AND this watch. If I'm understanding this right, this watch would replace the normal cloak, and use your HP (refilled with medpacks) instead of the cloak gauge (refilled with metal).

Having access to both cloaks (or if this one watch uses both the cloak gauge and then your HP) would be overpowered, since it would give you double cloak duration and the ability to extend it constantly with medkits, ammo and metal. You'd be able to run around non-stop, cloaked at all times, as long as there was any kind of pick-upable around (which there always is some nearby)... It's too much.

Yet having access to only 1 option, either/or, basically leads to no change in tactic besides "do i look for medkits, or ammo packs?". Which is why I say it seems a little too "same old same old".
  • Cronotic
    Oh god c'mon everyone, we know that the one that decide what the item does is valve, not the creator.