Home Technical Talk

Making an open pit mine?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Serp polycounter lvl 17
How would I go about making something like this? Zbrush? It seems daunting. This is for a backdrop.

1008-mine.jpg

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Try blocking the whole thing in with simple overlapping primitives in Max/Maya. Import the result as an .obj to zbrush and make a unified mesh from it. Then start sculpting.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    World Machine!

snow1.jpg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    + slope/height shaders, RGB masks etc

WM is a pretty neat program since their new nodebased shadersytem is very similar to what you might find in any up to date game engine these days.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Backdrop as in, far off in the distance? Or as in level you walk through?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    It could be done with a combination of modular rock models and terrain tools. If you were using something like UDK, you could sculpt a big pit with the terrain tools, then add the models in layers going up to add roughness and overhangs.

The rest would just be tweaking the ground texture blending and vertex painting on the models to achieve the desired effect. Throw in some rock/pebble models and maybe some mesh painting and you've got yourself a scene.

EDIT:

Depending upon how far away the backdrop is, you could actually get away with doing a tiled, normal mapped texture on terrain or even just image planes.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Try blocking the whole thing in with simple overlapping primitives in Max/Maya. Import the result as an .obj to zbrush and make a unified mesh from it. Then start sculpting.

yeah thats probably what I would do, then bake it out as a height map that I'd use for a terrain in UDK or crysis, and start detailing it further in there.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I would actually not do the whole heightmap thing. The terrain resolution you'd need to get a good result would be too memory intensive.

I would make a single section of ledge with a mini scree slope built into the top of it. Then copy and paste that ledge around to make the level. If you made the ledge slightly curved a couple of them would make a full circle.

You could use vertex colour blending to make them appear different.