Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Didn't get chance to do any work yesterday, finalized some stuff today. Here are his current wires and I rigged him in like ten minutes to strike a cool pose. Probably not the final pose.

wires.png
    coolpose.png

Going to start hand painting now, woo!
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    arkhange- thanks :) i was considering doing baggy pants for a while as they're my favorite :P but i decided to go with super thin legs to make him look a bit creepier. Are you entering? Did i miss your entry?

blackuladz - thanks man! im digging the shapes on your dude so far :D

kyalie - glad to see you joined up with PC :P

ithoual - nice work so far man :)

swizzle - i love his legs! haha

jacque - cool start on the textures so far, im digging the chiseled look

Just finished my model, sitting right on 3000 triangles.
    dwmini_wip2.jpg
  • shaggystiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello everyone
    I have my concept but I do not know where I can register and upload my progress
    is here?
    I have to enlist in dominance?

sorry my English is very bad

this si my concept
    mi_dominance_a_todo_color_by_shaggystino-d32soum.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Well, this is nowhere near finished, but...

generalscreen_006.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    finally! ive been waiting to see some more hotness from the swizzlestick... are you gonna change the head?
  • Bogdanbl4
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    here is a texture update, I'm thinking of breaking up some colors in the arms and legs, they are looking pretty plain to me...

screen3q.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    samhakem & illusion, youre not the one whom been ignored, this is normal, not only on PC ^_^
    I'm Ivan from Uzbekistan(sure you dont even know where it is), 3rd year student in the university of information tecnology >_<

samhakem, your concept looks great to me, the only thing that i want to say: try not to make a lot of small details in this comp, its a MMO comp still ;D

illusion and here, everything is fine, continue :D
  • redwake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inspiring works! I feel like a squid out of water.

@Azimn thanks for the encouragement!

@Eoq I hear you on the uniqueness thing. I think I subconsciously try to avoid making ugly characters -- which is a pity because ugly is interesting. This tends to produce conventional, symmetric characters. I'm doing a few uglification passes and trying to break up the symmetry, but so far the only thing that has stuck is the swan neck.

corrupted_wip.jpg

Here's my base mesh wip, shape and some inspiration. It's about 2k tris so far. Changed my class to corrupted because the shoe fits.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion: hey~o! i know u! from the minis on Ga! this is ma main home, and welcome , diggin' the sculpt so far, great personality. Also, don't worry about the back patting here as much once people see your texture work I'm sure there will be plenty:thumbup:

Some awesome stuff dropping in here guys

Bogdainbl4: looking awesome! as per usual!

Hunterluc: hmm interesting, a bit japanime for my tastes, but great block out so far.

Swizzle: i like where this is going a lot, the tape pasties made my day (is that sad...) i think the head of the character could have a little more interesting silhouette on the top if you have the polies.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote: »
    illusion: hey~o! i know u! from the minis on Ga!

and i know you from that belgian project ;D
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron wrote: »
    and i know you from that belgian project ;D

indeed sir! i thought we were beyond introductions tho haha, been watching your work since then, your getting loads better man, look forward to what you come up with for this!
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Nothing exciting! Chugging along, but I'll probably not post another wip till it's finished being modeled out. Still have 2000 polys to go till budget, I have a good feelin' about this one.

derp_04.jpg
  • ridley075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ridley075 polycounter lvl 10
    An update for today, got the base mesh for the body done, now starting to add all the small props attached to her. Alot of alpha is going to be used for the cloth wrapped around her. Will end up sculpting her, so I'll probably retopologize after which will fix alot of the smoothing areas. Currently sitting at just over 2300, so the face will have to be optimized more.

11-16-10_01.jpg
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    @Bogdanbl4: And . . . done. Have you considered entering in to the concept category as well :P

@Fink: It looks cool, but I think you're right about the color breakups. The arms and legs are monochromatic, and I think also the panel lines that you've got don't really do anything to guide you eye around the design. If that makes sense.

@Slave_zero: Nah, you got enough for a strong start. I might have to do that myself to figure out my own design for the back of my character.

@Sixton: That's a really cool design! I'd love to see some of those mutated area's holding the swords matched in other area's. Maybe the back?

@Levus: Ha! He kinda reminds me of the Engineer from team fortress, if team fortress was set in the middle ages, and was steam punk. And had magic. Great job on him so far!

@HntrLuc: Nice start on the modeling, as per usual :)

@Swizzle: That is hilarious! I love the texture work, and the design. And how the moobs are incredibly displaced by the chamber on his chest

Hopefully I'll be able to update with some changes to my concept, and the beginning of the 3d model soonish. Taking into account some critique's you guys gave me, I'm hoping it'll be a bit stronger :)
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    @Slipstream: yeah it does make sense, thanks for the tip :D
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    ah, loving the color markings swizzle,
    and the nipple tape XD
    and sixton, its because your concepting skills are pretty damn good. now show us modelling :)
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle, Loving it, the black tape really brings out the sexyness of those flappy mantitties.

Fink, I'm digging the progress, keep it up.

It's cool to see all the progress, I wish my stuff was turning half as good.
    I don't have a lot of progress, I've had to restart texturing my torso, my first attempt was a miserable failure. I'll likely end up having to do more high poly baking to help myself out.
    TextureWiP.png
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bogdanbl4: dude that's nuts for the pre-event! Loving it.
    Redwake: Cute design, the deer theme + dead dolly, eh?

I'm really not in a sketchy mood tonight, but here's my overall idea. (head started feeling a bit too Aeon Flux-y, but I think that's mostly in the hair) Going with something like the outfit on the right. Shadow class, some techy cans on the wrists generate stealth fields, yo.

DWVPre_throttlekitty_Charsketch1.jpg
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woogity, thanks buddy, and you, do you take part in this competition?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    *puts eyes on JFletcher's sketch

/end

Good knowing you guys, thanks for the help.

Oh and thanks for the tip Elyaradine, needed that :).
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bogdan : Kickass concept, love the upper part XD
    @Levus : Interesting proportions, waiting to see, where you go whith this dude
    @HntrLuc : The thin legs are pretty good in fact, it's more readable with wireframe, really disturbing ;) And yes, I have my entry for this comp', you just missed it ;)
    @Swizzle : Nice to see an update of your model with texture. I agree with the head inside the belly you should go with a more cartoony shape, it can fit better with the rest of your character :)
    Man, where are gone the lil spiky ears ?
    @Firebat : Interesting model. I think you can crush some polys on the belt buckle. Did you consider to do it with just opacity.
    @JacqueChoi : Killer work on the texture even if it's just a skull so far I know you will rock this comp'
    @ JFletcher : Interesting concept, I'm waiting to see your 3D translation of this sketch. Big fan of your work :)
    @Murph : Like your vision of the technomage :D Cool color sketch, really unique.
    @r4ptur3 : Nice transposition of your concept in 3D. your silhouette really looks like your concept. I find him pretty cute, but I'm sure this lil guy is badass !
    @Onelung : Nice lowpoly, silhouette looks sharp like your concept, really strong. I'm glad to see that you fixed this issue :D
    @kitsune : I like this pirate concept, your sketches looks good. Maybe you should dig the outfit a bit more, but I'm sure you can do it. The right cartoony version may be more interesting.

Well I've finished my low poly model tonight. Still some tweak to do here and there on proportions, but it's minor issue, I think I just have to play with vertices ! I'll rush the UV to pass on texture soon.
    I've readapted few point on my original concept to have a better 3D-posable-mesh.
    TechnoMage_WIP_02.jpg
  • TonyBTiger83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about the repost but this time you can actually see it. Anyway here are some sillouttes for my technomage.

DW_Thumbs_01.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, I see all these great models and concepts and everything and am soo inspired, I just want to finish now, I know that I might never get to this level, but I try, DAMMIT I TRA-EH.

mcxjcp.png

Soo I changed some things up, added some stuff since my model has about 800 or so tri's left and I might as well make her look more 'mech/tech'.

Good luck to all, I love you. I mean... No wait, that's what I meant.
  • Kiranor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bogdanbl4
    Hi :)! Glad to see you with us. Great character :thumbup:.
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bogdanbl4 - Realy nice concept in Rusian climate, love her.
    @redwake - nice start!
    @Der Hollander - nice texture work
    @Arkhange - Yours technomag look awsome
    @Ithoual - nice start with texture, mayby You can use more colors??
    @samhakem - nice concept
    @TheIceHeLater - i think hands are too fat
    @Slave_zero - just WOW!
    @Sixton - one of the best concept I seen in all forums. Congrats!
    @Levus - nice climatic character.
    @HntrLuc - nice start I wait for textures
    @shaggystiano - fantastic!
    @Swizzle - I dont like head in his belly, mayby demonic head look more interesting.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    kohaku_003.jpg

stripped out some useless bevels and added them to the gauntlets. I also latticed the crap out of him to try and get it to look a little more like the concept's fatty proportions. He's all UV'd and ready for a paint job.

@JacqueChoi -- thanks for the crits :) scrutinized the model tonite to try and break up flat areas. looking forward to your next update.
    @AimBiz -- thx ^_^
    @Ithoual -- thanks!! nice texture work > : )
    @Sixton -- played around with the feet tonite ... he looked too much like he was doing the pee pee dance so I kept them as they were. He gained some weight tho! nice concept -- time to get crackin on the three dee's :)
    @Arkhange -- haha thanks! ladies love him . . . doods get dead. love the staff from your design > : )
    @Bogdanbl4 -- heyoooo! nice work!
    @HntrLuc -- siiiiick. that pistol is crazy detailed!
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    HERE'S A THING:

wjat.jpg

wjat02.jpg

This is my polycount debut. Hello :)

SO I'm trying a few different things with her. She's "technomage", hopefully she's at least obviously NOT any of the other 3. Reading the description, I couldn't get a craftsman or blacksmith out of my head, oddly enough. Since DW has such a weird premise (so as to encompass all kinds of genres), I thought well it's the future, it's dystopian, and it's magic. I tried to touch on all of these things like this chick is a blacksmith-of-all-trades. She crafts with steel and wood, embues with magic, and adds advanced technology to create devices and items that can call down all the crazy stuff in the description.

Additionally, I thought that while regular smiths would have accidents and lose pieces of fingers, I figured a cyberpunk-magics-smith would have accidents and blow off whole pieces of their body, so she's only got 1 breast and her left ribcage/arm/hand has been replaced by an implant of her own design. The pinky is a welding torch.

Anyway, too much exposition, not enough modeling. Murph gave me a deadline to have her modeled by Saturday, and I'm gonna have a hell of a time dialing the design back enough to get in under poly, so here I go!

Edit: Looking at her now, I think I'll lengthen her torso a titch.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Still glooping along here like a slug. Really need to work some more on my drawing skills. Aiming to have his sorted by the weekend so I can knock out the model and get to the fun stuff. There's still a bunch of details and whatnots to do.
    duchess2.jpg
  • rico271
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey peeps
    decided to join the fun
    got myself a late start but oh well
    heres some of thumbnail
    31104452.jpg
    By rico27 at 2010-11-16

think gonna go with 8 or 11
    what u guys think??
  • kirian
  • Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lochness: im liking that beak head, maybe you could go towards raven'ish design?

@Levus: looking good! are you adding hard shapes (metal or such) to the gloves? they could fit in pretty well! It's a bit like 20 pairs of rubber gloves pulled on top of each other at the moment

@HntrLuc: the way that you modeled the hair planes caught my eye, its going to be awesome - pretty damn solid stuff right there.

@Swizzle: the cow-kind-of-skin with the tittytapes rocks! the head inside the container, as someone already pointed out, looks out of place.. but perhaps the textures will make it fit right in

@Bogdan: Nice! im getting allods vibes there. Interesting choise on the shoulderpads' shape. Me likes.

@Fink: maybe try toning down the overall brightness of the limbs and add highlights where it counts?

@redwake: nice going, interesting refs. Have you thought about bending the legs more and making the hooves a bit bigger?

@Arkhange: Looking great there! Get workin' on those textures

@Slipstream: Thanks man! Yeah i'll try that! I could probably add some deformations on her back.

@shrew81: Thank you! I'll move on to modeling in a couple of days once i get everything concepted.

@soda: Glad you like it so far! Hope i can keep up the quality

@r4ptur3: I understand. It looks great! and yeah models are coming once i get everything concepted and cleared!
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samhakem polycounter lvl 14
    @Bogdanbl4 Damn dude, insanity, how long did that concept take you? I would love to see that pushed heaps further to a shadow.

@soda
    Cheers mate! Its actually my first really pushed concept that I like...

@Sauron Nice to meet you Ivan! : ) I see what your saying about the small details...I find it hard to keep things in blockout or simple, I know its something I need to learn. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    >_______<
    2lash3a.jpg
    Samhakem ;D
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly124: Oh my this thread is a tasty display of game art skill. Keep at it..

@ Jackablade = original, crazy, disgusting and thus I totally love it - the chopper umbrella and bombs would make it an excellent game unit.

@ MutatedJellyfish = I like her pose a lot, she is cheeky looking, reminds me a bit of Battle Angel Alita but a hammersmith. The hammer looks like an anachronism next to the rest of her gear, yet as you say it is a varied world for Dominance.. I think she could be a future styled and "kooky" technomage with slighty glowing eyes (suggesting she is a bit machine inside perhaps) and a pneumatic hammer arm, just some quick thoughts.
  • Sixton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sauron: just waiting to see more - hands/feet/face.. a character!
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sauron - loins can be more broad, now are to thin in my opinion.
    @kirian - Wings to small, You chose best forum to start pre DW5:) Nice to see You!
  • BadGeometry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrrrng, so much progress in this thread since I last posted!

Anyhow, here's some progress from my end.

30cn4hh.jpg

I knocked out the head, torso and most of legs in about four hours, now I get to have fun with the arms. I kinda feel like the body has some really messy topology on account of all the different shapes there are in there. I'd really like to get a second opinion on it so I can clean it up a bit.

Looking forward to finish this before thanksgiving!
  • kirian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still we go..
    Soda for You they will be huge:*
    szkic2r.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Update on my Goblin Technomage, crits and comments would be much appreciated ;)

1000 polys left for head and some little stuff, yay!
    goblintechnomage.png
  • ishii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evening poly ppl :P

I finally finished work/school projects and have cleared the scheduel for the next 3 weeks! - Hopefully I will catch up with the rest of u guys with all this free time at hand.

Here is my concept for the War General:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/65/generalref.jpg

I proberly need to "sci-fi" him a bit more - any ideas are very welcome :P

Cheers!,

Ishii
  • kitsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx Arkhange for your comment ! :)

I was agree about the fact that I have to develop the cartoonish character.
    This is were I am for now.

dwv1_0002.jpg
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    @kirian: looking good man!

I narrowed my thumbs down based on what was the most popular. I need to decide today or im never gonna finish haha. Let me know what you guys like!

thumbs2x.jpg
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Was able to do a quick pass at some rough color this morning. Not sure about hue of the skin and wanted to get every bodies input.

OneLung

ColorSnap1.jpg

ColorSnap2.jpg

ColorSnap3.jpg
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    That´s amazing lewis :)
    But the head seams kinda small compared to the rest.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    @onelung: Not sure what you're going for exactly, but the skin looks really warm and lifelike. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if his semi-cyborg body didn't, in my opinion, seem to lend itself to being more of a "(un)dead" character.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Lewis I honestly didn't expect an actual skin tone with this. It's different but I really, really love your character's silhouette. Keep up the good work.
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sixton, ok, i'll try to sculpt them tomorrow :D
    soda, thanks! but it's not actually a human, so i like it to be so thin :D
    2i8w2gj.jpg
  • vodkatonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great improvement everyone!
    So I'm some where in between 1 & 2. Have to decide soon.
    04.jpg