Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Moar refinement. Gonna start modeling if there are no glaring objections :)
    domwarcon.jpg
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DemonWulf - great design I like proportions.
    Slipstream - amazing design.
    JacqueChoi - awesome work I like it so far.
  • Ruk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruk
    I'm going with the Technomage just a quick sketch.
    tec_comp.jpg
  • sophiajlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, guys. A lot of entries are looking great! Very inspiring :D

These are some WIP concept sketch I've done. I'm picking Shadow class and sort of doing human assassin type of approach. Any critiques or suggestions would be appreciated.

WIP1.jpg
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Slipstream - Great stuff. Loving the colors. The only thing that bothers me are the feet. Everything seems to be blending in very good except the feet. Try to integrate the heads a bit more.

[JacqueChoi - Looking good. Very Warhammer like.

[ZacD - Try to incorporate more tech elements on top of what you have. Maybe just adding some random stuff and playing with it, you will get more of an idea of what you want.

[cdizzle - Thanks for the suggestions. Will do. Your concept is looking great. Maybe work on the worm lower part a tad more to improve the silhouette. There is a bit of a disconnect between the amount of detail of the top part in contrast with the bottom part. Looking forward to it.

[3D Freak - Cool stuff. Take a look at lots of Bane images from Arkaham Asylum. I bet you can get some cool inspiration and reference from that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • seeriouslee
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    @Kiranor Thank you :)

@JacqueChoi, @Swizzle , awesome, clear geometry! Love your works.

@Ruk, I think you should fix the silhouette, now it is not balanced

@3D Freak very nice concept =) maybe you should make a stronger contrast of forms, for example, thiner waist and hips

@Slipstream looks very inspirational!

Great works from everyone! =)))
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    some late night alchemy fun.
    thumb4.jpg

parts folder = best. thing. ever.
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screwonhed - I like no. 1,8,15,29 cool stuff!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Eoq wrote: »
    Just a quick tip to everyone out there, that maybe can help when creating your model: What makes your character unique and what do you want people to feel when they see your work?

Don't try and mimic previous contestants and designs - lets show them that Polycount can bring something new to the table :)

actuall, the WRIST can rotate 180 degrees. the forearm covers everything from elbow to wrist. which can rotate much much less. up by the elbow for example, the bones don't move at all.
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D Freak: Definitely has a Bane feel right now. I would look into re-arranging the tubes and tweaking the mask in order to make it feel more unique. Keep it up!

Swizzle: Nice continuation. It is good to see people with nice modeling progress end up with polys to spare, as I am personally a bit worried about getting in my ideas and staying under the limit. Won't black tape on his nips rip off his fur? Sounds painful - but maybe he likes that kind of thing. :)

Ashleyjukes:
    Really nice model, but is it bad to have those 7-sided stars on his shoulder pads? Good luck with texturing!

Sophiajlee: Nice ideas. I personally would say mix the second and fourth drawings: goggles from 4th, top from 4th, character left gauntlet from 4th, character right gauntlet from 2nd, corset type hip accessory from 2nd, and rest from 4th. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

David-J: Thanks for the advice! Designing that tail has been a pain since I first thought it up. I am seriously considering moving on to modeling, and trying to spice up the tail in 3D - but I also don't want to short change my 2d concept. Anyway, best of luck!

TeriyakiStyle: Love the helmet design, and am always down for archery. Keep em coming!

Screwonhed: Neat thumbs. So far, I like 11 and 17. However, the symmetry is hurting you and the majority of them aren't very clear. IMO, you should go for more solid shapes (like in 1 or 12) and work asymmetrically and you will have some awesome ideas to choose from.

DKK: You should join in on this hotness! Haven't seen anything new in a bit. Good luck!

/

Keep up the great work, everybody!
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Ok first off the gaming studio I work for is crunching right now so I apologize if some of my geo is crappy. Never the less, I made some progress over the weekend and wanted to give you guys an update and get some feedback. I've been trolling the other forums and I proud to be on polycount, we have some of the more constructive convo going on here.

Notice: The models you are about to see are in NO WAY my low poly meshes, some of the sculpting took longer that I had planned, i hope to have my complete low res mesh in the next couple of days.

Front View of The Shard

Fronta.jpg

Back View of The Shard

Backa.jpg

Top view of the neck area (no head)

Topa.jpg

A little Edge flow Madness

Edgeflowmadness.jpg

3 Quater

3quater.jpg

Detail of Mid Section:

I plan to have cracks in his skin that glow neon green from the power that is being let off by the all mighty polycount smily ball of fury.

Closeup1.jpg

Skin a little more flushed out

skin.jpg
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    @ onelunglewis Really great sculpt! Especially hard surface parts are amazing
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Beginnings of my war general. Not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but it should be fun nonetheless.
    duchessf.jpg
  • kengkard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis - amazing sculpted.
    Jackablade - interesting character.

keep going guys.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    @onelunglewis: Thanks for killing the competition :) Looks great, man!
  • Rohit Yadav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    many concepts are not ready and Mr. onelunglewis have done Retopology...
    Nice progress onelunglewis.
  • Doyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doyen polycounter lvl 6
    The final version of this will be a little less "busy" Started modeling and working on the proportions a little more as well.
    shadow1jpg.jpg
    Feather colors are a placeholder so I don't accidentally repeat the same one too many times.
    wipshadow1.jpg
  • cdizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onelunglewis: That's looking great. For your hard surface work, are you using the newer brushes like the trims and whatnot, or are you just going flatten/pinch? Really nice and clean. I totally agree with you about polycount versus the competition. This is my first Dom War and there's no other forum I'd join up with.

Jackablade: Sweet pincushion lady. I can picture her after a grand battle with a bunch of enemy weapons stuck in her gown.

InProgress: Where are the updates? I liked the righthand concept in the image you posted last. Looking forward to your progress.

/

Wanted to push my Technomage's shape a bit more, so I expanded on the tail region - as per several people's helpful comments. Hopefully this was a step forward. It's a little crystal shrine and some power thrusters/stabilizers for the tail armor. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to hearing what you all think.

domWarMiniChallengeConcept4b_cdizzle.jpg

Good luck, everyone!
  • soda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JacqueChoi - looks cool!
    @Slipstream - fantastic concept, love colors.
    @Swizzle - I love proportion and design.
    @ashleyjukes - Nice demon mayby to much typical.
    @sophiajlee - my vote is 3,4
    @TeriyakiStyle - nice head.
    @Screwonhed - 12 look interesting
    @onelunglewis - Fantastic details, keep going:]

Small update:
    I start modeling 800 tris so far.

dw5_5.jpg
  • thiel_joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    . . . war . let us begin . . .

. Ectovoron the Aethertect .
    . . . . . . TechnoMage . . . . . .
    dom_V_thieljoe_technomage_concept_board_01_s.jpg

A being of Aether , Ectovoron exists at the core of this entity. a complex device pulls energy to perpetuate its existence in this dimension. as ambassador for its kind it has taken on its form to appear as humanoid and relate to physical beings. well studied in the art of electromagnetic manipulation and multi-dimensional harmonic resonance it can multiply the smallest force into a tidal wave of spacetime distortions, or negate hostile energy weapons. an unusual compound form of liquid tech infuses the staff and armor providing protection from energies that would disrupt it's continuance.

ref board:
    dom_V_thieljoe_technomage_ref_board_01_s.jpg

materials ref for liquid tech:
    dom_V_thieljoe_technomage_ref_liquidtech_board_01_s.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    thiel_joe: interesting stuff. I'm liking the triangular head more than the round variety.

onelunglewis: Even though I don't understand how/if the torso would bend it's still looking good. Specially liking the anatomical aspects of the design though I definately preferred the clean and subtly textured skin before the heavy textured one on the bottom of your post. That just killed all those nice little shapes you had going on.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    @thiel_joe: Awesome concept and refs man. Great start.
    @onelung: Killer sculpting so far. The hard edge stuff are clean.

Almost finishing up the modeling. 2958 tris in total, so a few left to spare.
    I'm not feeling my staff at the moment so I might use the extra polys to improve it. Any crits please?
    predomwip2.jpg
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    jacque-OH MAN THAT IS RAD. keep rocking man
    swizzle- that has so many fun shapes in it. i cant wait to see it textured
    nightflarer- lookin pretty good man. yeah, totally fix her staff up all bad ass. you probably want to go in and spice up the boots and gloves a little to. maybe a buckle or some trim. also for this level of model, i would take a lot of those polys out of the knee. you can get what you need with half of that

i did a little bit on my model tonight. still just feeling out the forms and flow of it
    screengrab001.jpg
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    @ onelunglewis: you do know that normal maps etc are prohibited for this competition right?
    http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/preliminary/en_rules.php
    1024x1024 for diffuse, specular color, specular level, glow, opacity, and ambient color. Example, one 1024 diffuse sheet, one 1024 spec sheet, one 1024 Gloss sheet, etc. No displacement maps, No bump maps, and no painting normal maps in any fashion. High res sculpting is allowed for diffuse map generation only, and retopology is allowed.
  • IAmTopper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the design process for my entry:

124546.jpg
    design_to_go_with.jpg
    This is working off of the "corrupted" class.
  • Arkhange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Nov 10th, 11am] Rule Change: 3D Character Art
    - No displacement maps, No bump maps, and no painting normal maps in any fashion.

[Nov 11th, 10am] Rule Change: 3D Character Art
    - High res sculpting is allowed for diffuse map generation only, and retopology is allowed.

A small recap of the rules, for you guys :]
    So, you can just use HiRes sculpt to generate diffuse map, so it seems AO baking isn't allowed...

@Onelung : I like the sharpen style of the hands, it looks like you lost a bit this point for the rest of the body (Arm, shoulder....). Anyway, you make great work !
    @Slipstream : Interesting concept, go for the tank or caouldron thing with fluid ;)
    @JacqueChoi : Great poly flow and modeling as usual
    @Ocarian : Love the sketch, seriously inspiring stuff !
    Remind me the Guarnido's work on Black Sad.

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    if you bake AO and layer it on top of your diffuse that sounds legal.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Illusion: thank you for the compliment.

@kengkard: I appreciate the kind words.

@inprogress: ha, not even close. But thanks anyways.

@cdizzle: I mainly using the pinch and claytubes. When I do this kind of hard surface modeling I always do a quick and dirty version that always looks crappy. Then I just retopologise and make all of my geo flow with the edges. Then I use the Crease function in Maya to get my hard corners. I used to toil with trying to put edge loops everywhere until I realized the creasing was my best friend. The Great thing about creasing is that when you smooth your geo you polys always stay pretty square and even.
    @soda: Thank you.

@AimBIZ: Thanks so much for pointing out the anatomy stuff, I wasn't feeling the high frequency noise. Id just didn't feel like it went with my original design and sculpt. That was something I wanted to keep from the sketch. I went ahead and pulled it back, but still am not satisfied with it. Im going to attempt and make it much more stylized and angular even the bubbly parts of the flesh. I was really inspired by the angular style of this Elder Link character that you all have probably seen by maddam. I hope to achieve something like this, but my current sculpt is way off. Thanks again AimBIZ.

Elder Link, Link ha: http://ww.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=96201

Comicon2010_OldLink_Presentation.jpg

Here is the knocked back version, probably going to start from scratch again on the skin.

SkinRedo.jpg

@EVIL: Yes I am aware, thanks for looking out for me.

@Arkhange: Your totally right about loosing the original form of the character. Thanks gonna change it.
  • illusion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusion polycounter
    ZacD wrote: »
    if you bake AO and layer it on top of your diffuse that sounds legal.

seems yes =)

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16937&page=14
    post #264 from Fred

Made some sculpt

screen01.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

(Don't have time to give individual replies yet)

But if anyone is in need of some inspiration: Check out the concept threads from CGhub, and CGland!

So much mindblowing stuff in there! I thought I'd have to share!

http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52922#post52922

http://dominancewar.cgland.com/index.html?dwmode=wip&dwmodes=view&part=doddd-m2&no=42442&sort=&hno=&page1=1&page=2
  • Snex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP: currently at 2600 tri's
    budy.png
    still gotta add hair and cape. What do you guys think about the armor? too simplistic?
  • Mudkipz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update1.png

This is what I got so far, not sure what I want to do with the head yet.

Good luck all.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was able to squeeze a new pass at the more stylized skin before going to work. Like it much better. I think its much more in line with the original character and style of my concept. Thanks guys for the input.

NewSkin.jpg
  • samhakem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samhakem polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, briliant work all around people! I wish i had checked the forum earlier, everyones WIP's are amazing, I would have pushed my design further!

OK this is a developed concept for my nightmare, will do grayscale and color concepts next.

Could really use some help with the head and belts, have no idea what to do with them...

Any feedback is welcome!

Oh and yes, I know he is too short, I will fix that next. ;)

@Onelunglewis, love it dude, very nice!

concept.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I REALLLLY like those hands lewis...you don't even know how much

And the rest of that is looking pretty good too ;)
  • Enderstaley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good God!

Onelung you are my hero, those sculpts are amazing.

ocarian that concept page is insane!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    onelunglewis: i like this a lot more than where you were taking it. keep it stylized. keep it fresh. i would make the thumb larger with less emphasis on the hyperextended look... works well on the fingers, but the thumb it feels a bit too much at the moment... just scale it back a bit.
  • dingle shingle
    Ace work from everyone so far! Figured I'd toss my hat into the ring with a few concepts. Planning on fleshing out A, H, J, F and maybe I tonight. Let me know what you think!

NEWS TEAM! ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uggthumbs.jpg
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

(Don't have time to give individual replies yet)

But if anyone is in need of some inspiration: Check out the concept threads from CGhub, and CGland!

So much mindblowing stuff in there! I thought I'd have to share!

http://cghub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52922#post52922

http://dominancewar.cgland.com/index.html?dwmode=wip&dwmodes=view&part=doddd-m2&no=42442&sort=&hno=&page1=1&page=2

Oh my gosh some of those are hot! O_o

I've been meaning to enter, but the internship and school presentations have been owning my ass. But tonight I'll strengthen my resolve. Tonight I'll make those thumbs. Tonight I'll paint myself green. POLYCOUNT REPRESENT.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Sculpt sculpt

sculpt_7.jpg

and yeah, baking out lighting, diffuse, ao now allowed, its hard to find all of this stuff, but its all in the discussions over on GameArtisians.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    First round of thumbs! Let me know what you all think. You guys HAVE to push me. I never finish anything... ever.

thumbss.jpg
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @clint, few of us here are looking at it and everyone says 18, definitely my fav.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh this weekend was a total wash. I had wanted to get a lot more done on this project but the fates stepped in. Thank you everyone for the positive comments on my last post :) here is the final-ish concept, I don't think I'm going to do much in the way of a color/material pass but I do want to add some nice asymmetry shoulder armor on one side. Also my attempts to make his Grimoire not look like the Necronomicon it totally looks like the necronomicon, so probably will fix that up a bit in the final piece. Okay lunch break over, back to work!

derp_03.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    We're getting some sexy work so far. Must admit I'm a little disappointed about Fred relaxing the rules. I was looking forward to seeing the elite guard try their hands at some real old school diffuse painting.
    Anyway, we'll get some cool stuff no matter what happens so I guess that's ok.
    Jackablade: Sweet pincushion lady. I can picture her after a grand battle with a bunch of enemy weapons stuck in her gown.
    Hah. Well that's a different way to look at it. She's actually floating on inflatable pants. I'll attempt to get a clearer concept up at lunch time.
  • IAmTopper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the zsketch today
    zsculpt_corrupt1.jpg

...off of this design.
    design_to_go_with.jpg
  • Borrden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechnoMageWIP01.jpg

Here is a first version of the character in 3D. Got some crazy ideas how i want to continue with it, but il see which direction i will go tomorrow. Now some sleep! :D
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys just started texturing the low poly, let me know what you think so far, or if you have any suggestions, Thanks!

Right now the low poly stands at about 2800 tris

screen2ht.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • MADAMEC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Clint I really like 6 and 16 and would like to see those fleshed out some more, though i agree with edoran that 18 is pretty interesting.

@Vorge Really nice work, The asymmetry is good stuff, and I really like the book. I know you said you don't think you're going to really do color studies or whatnot, but do you have an idea of where you might go with color?