Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Made the freeze gun more vintage looking :)
    freeze-newskin.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision, that is even more awesome then it was before!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Vig that animation looks totally badass and the concept itself of the weapon type.

Davidson i would get rid of the tube that had "freeze o matic" written , the black and the white part where it is written , it is making the fps view too busy imo and the clean main shape would be much more appealing and you would be able to do some cool texturing there .
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    well that is now the last of my worries. I made the whole hand using as reference the world model with its world bones..
    Just a minute ago I found and decompiled the VIEW model with it's view bones.. they don't match at all. I have to do two versions, one for each set of bones.
    On the bright side, the view model of the gunslinger and my replacement have almost the same polycount

I think the golden texturing is another part of the Wrench, not the main .vtf

"I think"
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    Davision3D wrote: »
    Made the freeze gun more vintage looking :)
    freeze-newskin.jpg
    Wow, Dav! This thing keeps getting better! Awesome work! Love the font :D
    @autokey don't worry about it - it wouldn't have looked any good if I did it :)
    I also had an idea for a Rudolph thing for the Scout... maybe I could do Jack Frost for the Spy?
    Haha, now you're just trying to make me feel bad! Made these last night after I made the mistletoe :P
    reindeert.jpg

Which do you guys like better?
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    @ vig
    thx!
    @ Autokey
    thx
    I like the first one more, i guess the horns should be made out of some kind fabric material. The Nose might be better more close on the nose and straps that go behind his ears.
    Johny wrote: »
    Davidson i would get rid of the tube that had "freeze o matic" written , the black and the white part where it is written , it is making the fps view too busy imo and the clean main shape would be much more appealing and you would be able to do some cool texturing there .
    I think that tube shape is pretty important, makes a nice connection from main shape to tube and metal cylinder. What i see could look busy in FPV is the text written on it, its high contrast and will look very squeezed from that view. Might just change the color of it.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dire_luck: Had a play around with the handle, I rather like that one myself now. I played with the length too but it's going to be easier to sort that out on the model I guess.

@a_gentleman: I do like the look of the rail, but everything I've seen out there points to it being too modern. The gun with the full length stock is the Frontier Justice, for reference. I don't want to use a full stock because it may make the gun look more like a rifle, given who's going to carry it around.

@Vig: I did kinda think that myself with the 4th one, it's probably the Aliens pulse rifle's fault... Extending the barrel out the front seems to help, and hopefully it won't be so bulky in 3D. I don't really like the detailing on 3, since the stuff at the back of the gun makes a front sight look odd.

To me it looks like that cover over the inlet of the wood chipper is going to make any loading animation look awkward given how short the conveyor is. The wood going in looks rather clean and regular too.

I think you can tweak how animations play via the QC (there's an fps command for play rate), but it'll take some experimentation, I don't think I've seen Valve use that in anything I've decompiled.

Waaaaaaay ahead of you with the hat though...

@GoLDeN: Nice texture there!

@Davision3D: Personally I'd do away with the front sight, since the rest of the gun gets in the way of it.

@autokey: I've had a little play with handle designs, any thoughts? I think you want something between the two for reindeer antlers, the left one seems too much like moose...

I did a few more sketches based on what you guys were saying, the top gun is the last gun from the first batch:

shotgun_development_concepts_2_by_elbagast-d327r5r.png

The sketch on the left is the front profile of the end detailing, though it might be a bit hard to make out...oops.

I'm probably going to get to work building these bits now, since I need to find out if Vig's comment about the front end seeming sci-fi-ish is there in the 3D version. The placement of the front end components is going to be easier to play around with in 3D too.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that it looks like a moose, Elb! I thought the same thing. But if you google reindeer antlers hat, it comes back with mostly stuff like that. It's weird. And I think I like the top right handle concept with the smooth grip and wide base
  • TheMooseLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone know how to edit a phong map? Or at least disable it in the vmt. I want to remove all of the shine on my weapon but i dont have photoshop to edit the map.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone know how to edit a phong map? Or at least disable it in the vmt. I want to remove all of the shine on my weapon but i dont have photoshop to edit the map.

You can just open up your VMT and delete any line that has "phong" in it :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @Vig: I did kinda think that myself with the 4th one, it's probably the Aliens pulse rifle's fault... Extending the barrel out the front seems to help, and hopefully it won't be so bulky in 3D. I don't really like the detailing on 3, since the stuff at the back of the gun makes a front sight look odd.
    True, I guess the front of the barrel on the V model perspective.
    To me it looks like that cover over the inlet of the wood chipper is going to make any loading animation look awkward given how short the conveyor is. The wood going in looks rather clean and regular too.
    There are two ways to handle that.
    1) Cheese out and have it dip off camera and come back loaded. Lame if you ask me and probably not what I'll do.
    2) I put a bone in the conveyor belt/feeder bucket, to swing it down and away which gives enough room for the heavy to load a log in. He might have to the cover up with the edge of the log as he puts it in, or as part of the feeder bucket lowering I can add a little lever that pushes the cover up.

As for the texture on the log, its been stripped of its bark, a pretty common practice (its how beauty bark is made). With the bark on it was pretty dark and blended in, so I thought a lighter color would contrast and help players keep track of their ammo without having to focus on it too much?
    I think you can tweak how animations play via the QC (there's an fps command for play rate), but it'll take some experimentation, I don't think I've seen Valve use that in anything I've decompiled.
    Yea I think they run at 24fps, either way its easy to speed them up or slow them down to get rid of the wagon wheel effect.
    Woa... that's neat! Too bad I didn't see that earlier. Humm... might have to go back to the paul bunion beanie idea, or the ear flap hat. I'm not terribly broken up about doing another hat, it took maybe 2-3 hours total to make.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Davision: That gun looks even better now, and it fits the tf2 style alot more too. Good job!

@ Elbagast: I'm gonna vote for #3. I can't wait till you finally make this shotgun.
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First srsbsns model.
    render1.jpg
    First version
    render2.jpg
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's supposed to be a lever action grenade launcher using the Scattergun Anims. 1st version is the second one I tried and I think that it looks kind of better than the second one, but I'm not sure. They're both around 7k polys. Also, the ammo thing I made for it.
    Ammo1.jpgammo2.jpg
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vig: Well since you've thought about the reload already I'll keep my mouth shut now and see how you do it...

I guess it depends on the type of chipper you're basing it on then, I just couldn't recall a case of seeing one where the operators bothered debarking beforehand. I agree about the lighter shade being easier to see though, hadn't thought about it that way.

From what I've seen the animations are usually 30 fps, it turns up in everything I've decompiled.

It wasn't a particularly hard hat (bad pun alert :poly122:) for me to make either. The inevitable duplicates is part of the reason I've made more guns than hats. You're going to be doing battle with Noors for the ear-flapped hat too...

@dire_luck: I'm going to be glad when it's done too, because then I can make other nice things!

@Colonel88: 7k seems like a high polycount given the detail level, and the barrel size makes it feel a tad front-heavy to me. How big is the projectile compared to the gun itself?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tf2axeconceptbytommy631.png

Small axe concept

tf2axeconceptrenderbyto.png

and a quick render for you guys as well
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Damn it Autokey. I've been planning to do antlers like that for a few weeks. Even though what I was planning was a bit different I still don't like modeling hats when I know someone has already done it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    GoLDeN wrote: »
    The Ugly Ducking
    screen2lr.jpg

Am I the only one that saw this and immediately thought "it needs egg dripping down his face, with a bit of egg white jiggling from the edges of the shell"? :poly142:

Could also do a "golden egg" version of it. :poly121:

I'm actually coming up with a list of hats that I want to take a stab at. Gotta get back from the short trip I'm on and get some stuff together. I'll post up when I've got some mock-ups made up. (Gotta also 'key my eye on the prize' currently and keep up to speed with finding a new fx job. :poly136:)
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    @autokey That looks good - I think it'd be more fitting on the Scout, though? Or is he going to be an elf? :)
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    tf2axeconceptbytommy631.png

Small axe concept

tf2axeconceptrenderbyto.png

and a quick render for you guys as well

Ooooh.

May I have the texture files for that when you start texturing? It would seem like such fun to mess around with!

Not in an offensive way, in a good, creative way!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, seems like forever since i posted some work.

Here is a little misc item i am working on for the spy.

SpySack01.jpg

Hope you like it!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast Well its not really a typical chipper but more like "a mini portable mill that processes logs" ...into stakes. I was going to call it a mini-mill but that sounded kind of lame, like Mini-Mall I could duct tape a small rat dog in a sparkly purse to the log and add a candy coated phone that played annoying ring tones... but peta would probably get their panties in a twist.

Chipper has a bit of danger to it "good way to dispose of a body and lose a limb all at the same time"

Still more work to do on it, thanks for all the input guys its given me some great ideas.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, sorry Zip!

@treythepunkid: That's awesome! I really like it :D
    @AGuyCalledSpyke: I was actually planning to make it an all-class hat :)
  • GoLDeN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @flaagan
    I had that idea, but for some reason i reject it
    -
    Wich variant is better?
    123vts.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Arcaltarion
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One could work for the soldier, though.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About to submit this, thinking of calling it The Missile Toe, but not thrilled with it...any other name suggestions?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfGBzlBQ_SU[/ame]
  • AAA_BATTERY
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vig: Well since you've thought about the reload already I'll keep my mouth shut now and see how you do it...

I guess it depends on the type of chipper you're basing it on then, I just couldn't recall a case of seeing one where the operators bothered debarking beforehand. I agree about the lighter shade being easier to see though, hadn't thought about it that way.

From what I've seen the animations are usually 30 fps, it turns up in everything I've decompiled.

It wasn't a particularly hard hat (bad pun alert :poly122:) for me to make either. The inevitable duplicates is part of the reason I've made more guns than hats. You're going to be doing battle with Noors for the ear-flapped hat too...

@dire_luck: I'm going to be glad when it's done too, because then I can make other nice things!

@Colonel88: 7k seems like a high polycount given the detail level, and the barrel size makes it feel a tad front-heavy to me. How big is the projectile compared to the gun itself?

The barrel is that heavy because if it was too skinny then the Scout's grip is slightly slanted because the wooden handguard is too. I originally thought of making the handgrip, but then scrapped it because it looked ugly.

The projectile is like this. I also cut down the polys on the gun; turns out I didn't need to use 18 sided 21 sectioned pipes. Anything else I need to add? I'm going for that steam style look.

Also, I would appreciate if anyone told me how to make handgrips, like when you make a melee weapon with some duct tape around the handle, how do you make it wind around the handle? I've looked online and found out the pathdeform thing, it's how I make my pipes, but it works like crap for the rectangular tape I make. Lots of clipping if I try to wind it around or slant it.
    renderammo.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd vote for 2.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, seems like forever since i posted some work.

Here is a little misc item i am working on for the spy.

SpySack01.jpg

Hope you like it!
    Is it just me or are his arms really messed up?

Otherwise good work :P
  • Shadowplay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowplay polycounter lvl 13
    Ok before i submit, which thumbnail do you guys like better?
  • Arcaltarion
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second, but it doesn't matter. They won't use your thumbnail, they insist on generating their own.
  • Shadowplay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowplay polycounter lvl 13
    Oh i was just thinking which one is better to catch their eye

ok submitted, wish me luck...and on to the next one.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooookaaayyyy, ive moved up the blade and connected it to the main part now, ive also completely redone the handle to make it look a more like a coping saws handle.

Heres a few silhouettes to compare from:

silhoutte01.jpg

c_thinsaw002.jpg

The handle is also going to wooden. Unfortunately, the model did an Ubersaw and stained itself red. (At least my one did).
    medicwithsaw.jpg

And ive still got a few clipping issues.

So what do you think, is this an improvement on the old one or should I rethink it some more?
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, a little update on the Spys Sack.

SpySack02.jpg

SpySack03.jpg

Added the cheese. Thinking about adding some pins or buttons on the front strap to make it less boring from the front.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ColonelBD: Looks much better than the old one, in my opinion :)
    @treythepunkid: I am loving this. What's the tri count up to? And can we see it from the front?

Ok, submitted the Missiletoe, and now it's on to the next one.

@AGuyCalledSpyke: I was actually going to make this an all-class hat, but after making the missiletoe, it was kind of a pain. And I agree it fits the scout best :)
    @Davision3D:
    Thanks, Dav! Good idea with the strap for the nose :)
    bonkdeer.jpg
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finaly got around to releasing my Surgeon's Stahlhelm, it needed a phys model and backpack icons. but i got those done this afternoon.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/103958

promof.jpg

Edit: i also submitted it to valve.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, a couple of things-
    1) how do you make sure it is the right size to fit on the classes head while you are making it?
    2) If anyone uses Carrara 6, how do I export textures?
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    AAA_Battery, that is the coolest medic hat I've seen ever! It's really awesome.
  • Rafael Rojas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finaly got around to releasing my Surgeon's Stahlhelm, it needed a phys model and backpack icons. but i got those done this afternoon.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/103958

promof.jpg

Edit: i also submitted it to valve.

http://www.xavierck.com/polypack.html it looks like swizzle medic hat for the polypack contest...still cool
  • KrookedSaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love all the stuff you guys are making. It's great!
    I'm having issues trying to get jigglebones working in my qc file. I've looked around and can't find out why GUIStudio is giving me errors.

This is the error:

ERROR: $jigglebone: invalid syntax '$jigglebone'
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'Engineer_PomPom/Engineer_PomPom.mdl'

This is my entire qc file.

$modelname "Engineer_PomPom/Engineer_PomPom.mdl"
    $model "Body" "Engineer_PomPom.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models/Engineer_PomPom"
    $sequence idle "Engineer_PomPom_idle.smd" fps 30.00
    $jigglebone "jiggle1" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle2" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle3" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle4" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle5" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle6" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle7" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle8" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }

$collisionmodel "Engineer_PomPom_phys.smd" {

$concave
    $mass 4.0
    $inertia 1.00
    $damping 0.00
    $rotdamping 0.00
    }

$keyvalues { prop_data { "base" "cloth.Small" } }

Any ideas?
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.xavierck.com/polypack.html it looks like swizzle medic hat for the polypack contest...still cool

i knew this style of helmet had already been made a couple of times before i started, but none of them were ever publicly released.

ERROR: $jigglebone: invalid syntax '$jigglebone'
    ERROR: Aborted Processing on 'Engineer_PomPom/Engineer_PomPom.mdl'

-snip-

$jigglebone "jiggle1" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 50
    yaw_damping .1
    pitch_stiffness 50
    pitch_damping .1
    along_stiffness 50
    along_damping .1
    length 15
    tip_mass 0
    angle_constraint 10
    }

-snip-

you arent closing all your curly braces, their should be two at the end of each bone.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but Swizzle is a BUTTHEAD who doesn't release his stuff to the community.
    (though honestly I do prefer Swizzle's version a little)
  • notacomputer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bandit_splash.png

The Smoking Bandit is designed for all classes. It can be used with other hats just like the medic mask. Comments and suggestions please.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Update on the sack.

SpySack04.jpg

SpySack05.jpg

By the way, the box that is right of the cheese is a pack of cigarettes.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @treythepunkid Thats a pretty cool idea for a spy misc. One thing about it keeps bothering me though. It looks like the bread and wine bottle are about to fall out at any moment.I'm assuming it is made out of cloth as well. If that is correct, then the carrier looks a little too solid and not under any stress from the item's weight.

On an unrelated note, do you think that you could release the Engy's Bar-B-Que hat for the Pyro? I'm just Imagining how awesome that would be in conjuction with Swizzle's T-Bone steak weapon :) (Or as my friend called it, the Ax-steak-uisher)