Home General Discussion

Ads in my Polycounts?

Someone explain this nightmare. I'll loose sleep over this.

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    There have been advertisements ever since the new website launched, they've just been for the competitions. Now that there aren't any competitions going on they're standard Google Advertisements to get some revenue to the site.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Actually they're currently PSA ads which dont give any money.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    ads what ads? I see no ads.. (in firefox with adaware)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe
    i dont see ads aswell :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It would rock if you guys allowed ad's at Polycount, to help us out without having to actually do anything.

Anyway - we're getting the system setup for advertising on Polycount so that we can generate revenue and pay for all the cool stuff we'd like to do with the site, as well as cover our asses for maintenance and up-keep.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah running a site like polycount is expensive, running a minecraft server costs even more, I appreciate everything that polycount offers and I clicked an ad, to help cover the costs of all my posts :P
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I always turn off adblock for sites I like because I want to be able to come back to those sites in the future. I don't mind ads on Polycount as long as they aren't blinking, animated monstrosities with sound and Flash rollovers and other crap.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    It would rock if you guys allowed ad's at Polycount, to help us out without having to actually do anything.

Anyway - we're getting the system setup for advertising on Polycount so that we can generate revenue and pay for all the cool stuff we'd like to do with the site, as well as cover our asses for maintenance and up-keep.

Well, polycount is the only exception I'm willing to make. The community is just way too awesome.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    agreed, now to figure out how to allow ads for polycount only...nm.. figured it out.. simple as click the ABP icon and disable for Polycount.com and now I see em. :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Clicking them, I believe, isn't needed. Just let them work and we're good.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Adam, I'm cool with it as long as its not like we're being bombarded with Ads that would make an epileptic kid bust into a Harlem-shake. What ever makes poly count better, I'm for it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I don't mind the ads although the bright white template they was a bit of a shocker. It actually detracts from the banner art somewhat :( Don't they come in anything darker?
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    can we get like zbrush and autodesk adds stuff that relates to game art or art in general i wouldnt mind but just random adds are kinda odd
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry guys: Bright pink with flashing yellow polka-dots advertising the latest and greatest in financial software, just for you.

Patience, my friends. As always we take things slowly around here as to do it right the first time. Step 1: Get them working, COMPLETE. Step 2: Make them look good... TBD. ;)
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Earlier I think I saw an ad for Vanilla Ice...lol
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    You guys just need to run better ads. Ads that are video game or CG related. It seems like we have a large enough membership to get some of those.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I feel like I am talking to a wall, aesir. To a wall.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm seeing some Solar Energy white banner... :O
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I always turn off adblock for sites I like because I want to be able to come back to those sites in the future. I don't mind ads on Polycount as long as they aren't blinking, animated monstrosities with sound and Flash rollovers and other crap.

Congratulations! You've been chosen for a free Ipod!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ads that blink are the best adds, they get your attention the faster they blink, the louder they are and the more photoshop effects they use! i always click on them to redeem my many free ipods, just takes your credit card info to verify your over 18 and bamn they send you an ipod. I havent gotten any of the 3 I have won yet but Im sure once they clear my credit card info I will get it :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I don't mind ads on Polycount as long as they aren't blinking, animated monstrosities with sound and Flash rollovers and other crap.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'VE WON!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I didn't really even register that the ads were there till I saw this thread.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It took me a really long time to figure out what people were talking about, my host file must be blocking all those ads from showing.

I don't mind simple ads. Though I do definitely need to pick up some merchandise here for some self-gifting over the holidays.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    to be super-relevant adam - how about some penis-tank ads?

(or for your internet quota ZacD :P)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm fine with the ads, really. The site (and store) need to operate from some kind of cashflow, right? :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14

Woaho!!...I scrolled up to see and understand your point of view. :D

By the way, there is an alternative for this too. PC have a wide range of personnel from many different Big branded companies. You have people from Autodesk to Activision-Blizzard entertainment, etc.

Wouldnt it be much easier to just look for sponsorships? You guys started the challenges already, there has got to be at least one studio to sponsor you, and contribute cash to support you cover your asses. <.<

...just saying.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i'd love them to be gray, instead of eye-scalding white
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    How much shortfall in revenue from swag sales are we?

If a person freely donated could we then use adware without the attempts at guilt?
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think you can really justify ad blockers at this time. I'm running noscript and it comes at no surprise that I'm not getting spyware or even cookies from a banner ad supporting the concept of "Solar Energy Charity".
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    conte wrote: »

I want black!! White is eye flashing!!
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    How much shortfall in revenue from swag sales are we?

If a person freely donated could we then use adware without the attempts at guilt?

Donating to turn off ads is a nice thought, but I'm not sure there's any value we could offer beyond "supporting Polycount."

I'm also not sure the effort to get a handful of people to pay $10/one time or something would markedly offset the ongoing costs. The Spreadshirt site sold a lot more swag than the last t-shirt run r13 did by himself, but I think we're still off by a factor of ten.

Since people will inevitably offer up their $5/mo. Dreamhost account to help, Polycount currently costs a bit under $4000/year to host, not counting additional servers that get spun up for spikes (which continue to bring the site to its knees anyway), and not counting the TF2 and Minecraft servers which other people pay for.

(Polycount used to cost over $7000/year to host when I took hosting over from Gamespy in 2004.)

These days, some friends help subsidize the hosting bills.

The redesign was a bit under $1k if I remember correctly, plus there's ongoing server work on that still happening, plus the vBulletin licenses, plus all the time that people put into the wiki, and the homepage editing, and moderation, which you probably couldn't pay them to do.

TL;DR: communities are expensive.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Vito, perfectly said.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as they're banner ads and not the "this page will load in 42 seconds" or the kind that slide out for the side and cover up whatever you're reading... then I think we're fine. Especially since they are being put up to bring in some cash so polycount can keep on keeping on and possibly so Adam can do something of the things he's been wanting to do for a long time.

It will help blend more naturally into the site if we can bring in advertisers people will care about, which will probably happen as time goes on but you have to start somewhere.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We're not in the business of obnoxiously earning revenue.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito wrote: »
    Donating to turn off ads is a nice thought, but I'm not sure there's any value we could offer beyond "supporting Polycount."

I'm also not sure the effort to get a handful of people to pay $10/one time or something would markedly offset the ongoing costs. The Spreadshirt site sold a lot more swag than the last t-shirt run r13 did by himself, but I think we're still off by a factor of ten.

Since people will inevitably offer up their $5/mo. Dreamhost account to help, Polycount currently costs a bit under $4000/year to host, not counting additional servers that get spun up for spikes (which continue to bring the site to its knees anyway), and not counting the TF2 and Minecraft servers which other people pay for.

(Polycount used to cost over $7000/year to host when I took hosting over from Gamespy in 2004.)

These days, some friends help subsidize the hosting bills.

The redesign was a bit under $1k if I remember correctly, plus there's ongoing server work on that still happening, plus the vBulletin licenses, plus all the time that people put into the wiki, and the homepage editing, and moderation, which you probably couldn't pay them to do.

TL;DR: communities are expensive.

Can one still donate though? If so can you PM me how if its not public.

"TF2 and Minecraft servers which other people pay for."
    And l4d2 as well. ;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If you'd like to donate, buy a t-shirt. :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe you should start taking TF2 hats as donations :) See if any of the Mann Co. royalties can cover for costs
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you'd like to donate, buy a t-shirt. :)

We can skip the middle man (well except paypal) and I could send you the money. Im not turning off Adaware and at the same time I do want to do my part. Hence a donation.

As it is per T-shirts. No. Not until you give an option of American Apparel.

However if you came out with a sticker kit.... (Like small ones with transparent backing for like windows. Ones for Car bumpers. Etc.)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And so, a second website (besides Reddit) gets AdBlock disabled. :)
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    You know... that's a valuable bit of space that could be given over to supporting indie games being produced by members of the PC community.. simple banner rotator would suffice. Or maybe product shots of polycount gear... irrespective, it shouldn't be used to line Google coffers more than they already are.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    conte wrote: »

+ 1 on this. I don't mind adds but it would be nice if they could be toned down a little.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    oxy, thats unfortunate. although, perhaps we'll get stickers up some time.

3DLee, awesome fella! Knew we could count on you ;)

kat, nice idea but we need to support ourselves and PC's goals first. once our tests with googlead's is done (months from now) we'll be rolling with software or hardware developers for advertising. we can support mods and indies and such by running front page articles about them.

iron, its happening. like i said (i think a number of times) changes are coming, just slowly.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    good stuff Adam. Thanks for all the hard work.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Certainly entitled to some compensation for all the work put into maintaining this place, but i hope polycount doesn't end up all corporate a few years from now. This is one of the few great sites left on the internet.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I just donate my time to polycount, someday I'm hoping to actually contribute something...
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ^...!! I am pretty sure everyone here thinks this way. And some contributed VIA PC shop.

But to be honest donations also work. If you are not out to look for a sponsor and would like to keep this site underground still.

Seriously they could've had a better sponsor than google...o.O
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I disabled Adblock for Polycount.

Ouch! blinding white ads :(

EDIT:

lol at ads brought to us by googlesyndication.com, apparently that's google's evil twin.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    ^...!! I am pretty sure everyone here thinks this way. And some contributed VIA PC shop.

But to be honest donations also work. If you are not out to look for a sponsor and would like to keep this site underground still.

Seriously they could've had a better sponsor than google...o.O

^^
    So. Is the reason you all are afraid of taking our donation money because of taxation and claims for this site? Seriously. I want to give. I cant do the shop as it is. So there is nothing else I can do (other than allowing ads which bug the fuck out of me)?!???
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ads are okay. Google adsense stuff with relevant content and color scheme would be nicer though.

White stuff about solar energy and mortgages is kind of bizarre =D
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanne see cool ads :(
This discussion has been closed.