Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    Did you happen to be influenced by some of these? Was the first thing I thought of when I saw your original pics and now even more so...

I think if you want to build something more sturdy looking a solid palm may work - it would mean making it so that it doesn't work with the Gunslinger taunt but the lack of engine parts in your design has probably already made that taunt unsuitable.

I have in my references folder a picture of one of the hands in that link, yes, but the one there is better and bigger. thanks.

About the palm I think you are right, but I still have to figure a shape I like. I'm going to work for a time with the forearm.

I'm now drawing something interesting for put in the blank flat area. maybe a couple of old looking gears
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://kotaku.com/5669981/making-team-fortress-2-hats-turns-out-to-be-very-profitable

So apparently "Contribute!" is a goldmine, guess we'll see more community contributors after this :)
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, it just worked well because the polycount set bonus hats are HARD to get.
    I don't think someone could make even half of that money with a contributed weapon with a crafting recipe and a higher drop rate
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I fixed up the wrench from my Polypack submission that I didn't finish a bit and submitted it today.

combowrench_final_01.jpg

The texture isn't 100% where I would have liked it to be but it's been sitting here for 3 months and I just want to get it out by now.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobywan wrote: »
    Hello TF2 thread :) I finally decided to sit down and beat Blender into submission so I could start turning ideas into models, and I very nearly managed to get a working hat into TF2. Unfortunately, even though the textures show up properly in the model viewer (excuse the crappiness, I spent all of 2 minutes on these):

the hat shows up as a straight black texture in-game:

I'm not sure what would cause this - it's not the purple checkerboard for a missing texture, and it renders ok in the model viewer. I followed InteractiveBUD's tutorial on youtube to make this thing, and I double-checked that I had all the same settings and did all the same steps as he did; the only difference was that his hat worked properly. Anyone know what the problem is?

Is the hat that you replaced and are wearing in game painted black? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause that.
  • lochandloaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woa cool site! So this is were all the cool stuff came from! Awesome!

Oh and I am new, hi!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Working on a stiletto for the spy:

th0bm.jpg

The textures and shader are super-duper WIP, but the model's finished.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swizzle
    I like the idea :)
    I like the blade area of the knife but the bottom seems a little bulbous. The handle (the grip part) looks rather small. Unless this knife is based off any stiletto in particular (which I'm guessing it is) I would suggest making the bottom ornament a little smaller and in turn increasing the black handle area.
    Also I know the texture is a WIP, but I would like it if the black part were not shiny, the shininess makes it look a little bloated, and plus I'm not particularly fond of shine :P

Even thought the model is finished, I hope that is somewhat of constructive criticism. I really like all of your stuff, especially the demoman polycount entry, that was an awesome hat.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a gentlman wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5669981/making-team-fortress-2-hats-turns-out-to-be-very-profitable

So apparently "Contribute!" is a goldmine, guess we'll see more community contributors after this :)

I was so blown away by this

Is that real world cash? Or "steam wallet" money?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Real world money.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha... I can't imagine what they would do with $47,000 in Steam Wallet money...
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buy any game they ever wanted I guess
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a very surprisingly large number for just creating an in-game item...makesyou wonder....cough, erm, yeah
  • JoshuaC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaC polycounter lvl 13
    campfire_wip_03.png

What should I use to attach the boards to the belt?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Red Sheep's right about the pommel. I'm going to tweak it a touch and then it should look a little better.

Anyway, I mucked about with the textures for a few minutes. They're still unfinished, but whatever. I'll finish 'em up tomorrow. Now is be tiem for sleepz.
    eRhIw.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not quite sure what you're trying to do there, JoshuaC. Campfire on a belt?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Swizzle wrote: »
    awesome pic

I'll take it Swizzle ! :)
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I think Red Sheep's right about the pommel. I'm going to tweak it a touch and then it should look a little better.

Anyway, I mucked about with the textures for a few minutes. They're still unfinished, but whatever. I'll finish 'em up tomorrow. Now is be tiem for sleepz.

It's looking really good. Are you going to give the hilt a slight team color, like a tint?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brand new day and a brand new idea.
    I added a telegraph device to the arm. I think in the concept looks a bit saturated but with colour and contrast it may look better and more interesting (I erased the second belt just for a better reading of the telegraph, it will be still there)

1zyu5py.jpg

I'm also rethinking the front plate of the screen to make its shapes more... vintage, more like the belt buckles
    2lb6fl.jpg

modern or vintage?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PropsPack.jpg
    http://vigville.com/ctf_laynedecker/index.html
    I released the props I made for my TF2 map, as a pack of Source ready models and textures 65 props total and not all are shown.

If you need the original source files (obj, .max .psd ect) shoot me a PM or email me at vig_ at hotmail dot com

More detailed thumbs and descriptions can be found over at TF2maps.net
    http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=15329
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow VIG I played your map long time ago and the props look now even better than then, congratulations
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dire_luck:
    I'd considered giving it some team color, but I think it works well as a neutral color. I tried some team color variations, but they didn't really look very good.

I think I'm about ready to call this finished. I made the pommel a bit smaller and it does look better this way. I also added a simple normal map for the engravings and finished up the spec map.

Ur8Wt.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcaltarion thanks!
    I'd probably go a little more modern, TF2 takes place somewhere between 1920 and 1960's Americana, so Norman Rockwell and JC Leyendecker. What you have seems a little more 1800's Victorian steam punk?

OOoOo I like it swiz! Nice changes! I really like the grim/dirty AO around the engraved bits.

The back of the hilt (opposite end of the blade?) looks super reflective compared to the rest?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's beautiful swizzle!
    how many polys does it have?
    can I see a wireframe shot?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Some engravings on the pommel aswell ? Looks really nice anyway :)
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Pontifex Medicus
    PontifexMedicus_screenshot1.jpg

About 6 hours start to finish, mostly getting it working in TF2. Not bad for never having done anything for the game. Maybe now I can do something cool :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha that's a cool hat Doc. I think it'd look much much better if it didn't have the medic symbol plastered on it though. It seems like everyone is doing that to their medic hats these days.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just submitted and I didn't get any sort of confirmation page or confirmation email. Is that the norm?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be a confirmation page that says "Submission Successful!" Did you get the page where it says to put in your Steam Community page for a second time? It's right after that page.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, gotcha, I'll try again.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Ha... I can't imagine what they would do with $47,000 in Steam Wallet money...

Railworks and all its DLC.

I'm about to submit my pistol to Valve, but I have no idea what to name it.
    Suggestions are welcome.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Another quick sketch...just exploring some ideas. Here's the Demoman:

5ez3t2.jpg

some tiny and quick thumbnails of some other classes:

25ji0bb.jpg
  • lochandloaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob wrote: »
    Pontifex Medicus
    PontifexMedicus_screenshot1.jpg

About 6 hours start to finish, mostly getting it working in TF2. Not bad for never having done anything for the game. Maybe now I can do something cool :)
    That is so funny and cool! 6 hours wow
  • lochandloaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man thats sick! good luck getting that out of some dudes skull.
  • lochandloaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    PropsPack.jpg
    http://vigville.com/ctf_laynedecker/index.html
    I released the props I made for my TF2 map, as a pack of Source ready models and textures 65 props total and not all are shown.

If you need the original source files (obj, .max .psd ect) shoot me a PM or email me at vig_ at hotmail dot com

More detailed thumbs and descriptions can be found over at TF2maps.net
    http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=15329

I saw the map over at tf2maps and thought it was really well done. Nice work! I will probably dl it to night and see if its on any servers. So you post here to? its like the a candy land around here:poly124:
    I do a little mapping here and there so I will probably use the models. Thanks!

oh before I forget the tf2maps page linked to a old thread that had old screen shots of the map it was probably this forum but I can not find it since you made it can you point me to it. I just want to see how you made it if that makese sense.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Does anybody know of any good resources for actually getting your weapons/hats into the game? I've had a look around and can only seem to find info on mapping.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any good resources for actually getting your weapons/hats into the game? I've had a look around and can only seem to find info on mapping.

I wrote a tutorial on this a few months ago here. That's for getting a hat in game as a prop_physics, not as a replacement. Here is a nice thread on getting a hat in as a replacement assuming you know how to compile your hat, which my tutorial teaches.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet, that should be enough to get me started.

Cheers.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally got the rather obvious motivation to finish this off ;)

redid the uv's to get better texture res and made a new brain w/optional sculpt and normals

haven't got it setup in0game yet so these are just maya grabs:

KEDCranialEndevour_05.jpg
    KEDCranialEndevour_06.jpg
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys

I'm interested in modeling an alternative sentry gun for the engy, does anyone know off hand what the polycount for the existing SG is approximatively, I remember reading somewhere in this thread something around 10K tris.

Thanks!
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK: Love it!

Scudz: Hehe, nice, I hope they add this for the upcoming Halloween event:P

I'm still waiting/hoping for Valve to add your harpoon-cannon as well :)

Valve paying contributors that much is the best thing to ever happen to this thread which I check daily, it used to be around 1 item every 4-5 days, now it's 4-5 items every day :D
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    an update to the surgeons stahlhelm's colors. version one the main helmet color matches the medics undershirt and the cross matches the tie. and on version two the colors match the medics overcoat and tie.
    sstahlhelmcolortest.jpg
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Looking slick, battery! I like the second Blu helmet, the shade fits better. I can't see a difference for the red one, if there even is one? I noticed the symbol seems to be 'curved' a little, you might want to fix that. Also, why not use the colors from the cross symbols on his sleeves? Wouldn't those fit better? Just some suggestions, definitely looking awesome either way!

Here's something I started today. I'm doing this both as something I want to send in to valve, and also to see how long it takes me to create something from concept to completion. It's a primary replacement for the scout:

scatterpunch2.png

The barrels will spin with each shot, similar to how the demoman's grenade launcher works. You can't really see it from this angle, but there are six barrels, and they'll each have 'damage' from the force of the shells, so they'll be split and cracked and generally all messed up. I'll get some better shots tomorrow, after I finish up the barrels and get it done and ready for texturing.

A quick question, when making animations, would I export the animations in a seperate smd and have the .qc file look for that file? Or is it done inside the reference smd?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    Cbast wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm new in there and there's my first model that I try to import in a real-time engine. (And this is one of my first models in fact).
    I'm currently looking for informations about the "How to make your v_model" coz' i don't know how to simulate the FoV (to delete the hidden faces).

Then, here's the "stuff".

df06cb9b3ea589b06394db5fafad6.jpg
    I hope you enjoy it :3

Really nice Cbast !
    How goes the compil and the UV ?
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    This is what I'm working on. It's for the soldier.

soap.png

I kinda imagine that as more of an ice pick, even though it has a blade on the back. Watchugonnacallsit?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    The Basic Instinct ?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig:
    The pommel was a touch shinier than the rest, though not by enough to make too much of a difference. I think the main reason it looks shinier and more reflective is simply because of the angles in that image. In-game it'd probably look a bit better because you'd notice the cubemaps on the blade more.

Arcaltarion:
    It's 2988 tris. There's a wireframe shot below. I realize it's pretty hefty in the polygon department, but I wanted to get the twisty details into the handle without having to worry about a blotchy normal map. Normal maps and actual polygon normals just have a different feel.

Noors:
    I'd thought about putting some engravings on the pommel, but I just don't think they'd read very well. It'd also be difficult to overcome the distortion of the unwrap with a 512 normal map because of how chunky the normals come out.

After realizing I had a gnarly seam right in the middle of the blade, I decided to go back and redo the UVs and textures for this so it would stop acting stupid. Protip: Source treats UV edges as a hard edges in vertex normals (sometimes?!?!), so hide your seams.

vCFIi.jpg
    h07Vj.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swiz, that makes sense. Definitely looks lethal and cool =)

Anyone know if a lumberjack pack has been done (or if its a WIP) for the heavy?
    If not I might finish this and a few other props.

Melee#1: Stump Thumper
    StumpThumper.jpg
    Or Beaver Cleaver? "Its log, its log, its big, its heavy, its wood."

or
    Melee#2:Bunyan Basher, your standard flat head axe with some upgrades. (Might get confused with the pyro axe?)
    FLATHEADAXE.JPG
    Its carried with the flat side facing out, sharp side facing the player. The first downward swing hits the opponents foot stunning them, the second upward swing is a little slow cleaves their face with the sharp end on the way back up.

Primary
    : The chipper
    A specialized tree processing mini-gun, trees or logs go in, stakes come out and impale or pin people.

Secondary: Flapjacks (to replace the sandvich, like someone mentioned ages ago)
    Pancakes01.jpg

Hat: Classic silver lumberjack helmet or the flannel ear flap cap, or the beenie...
    HardHat.jpg
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I vote stump thumper, that shit would be awesome, and like you said...

"Its log, its log, its big, its heavy, its wood."

Edit: Also Swiz, that k-nif is hawt.
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm just starting on some random lever action Grenade Launcher for the Demoman...

The good thing is that I'm pretty sure noone tried making a lever action Grenade Launcher.

The bad thing is that I kinda suck at modeling.
    Also, the only thing I can do is model, UV texturing is too confusing/complex.

I'll use Scattergun animations with this launcher, probably will try the gun out by replacing it with the sticky launcher and trying it out ingame soon (with simple grey textures).
    leveractiongrenade1.jpgleveractiongrenade2.jpg
    Also, while I'm here, I need some help with making cloth wraps, for example, if I want some duct tape around the handle, what do I do? I watched a video once and the video said to "PathDeform", but then I tried it and the rectangular box kinda got screwed up; I'm guessing the computer doesn't split the rectangle sections in half, so it looks pretty bad.

I'm also not really sure about whether I should go sightless or stick with the sights that are on now.

Any help/suggestion would be appreciated.