Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max extrude Spline to plans?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
omid3098 polycounter lvl 13
Hi there.
I have a shape with multiple splines and I want to extrude them horizontally or Loft them using another spline to make hairs.
when I want to extrude splines, they will always extrude upside(vertically) and when I want to loft them, the get shape button is off. I guess thats because of being multiple splines into one shape.
I want to achieve something like what I've got using separate models for that single shape without detaching splines.

do you have any ideas?

Replies

• omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any tips please?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not even sure what you're asking. I know you want to make some kind of hair and extrude something and somehow involve splines but I don't know what you're end goal is? What are you trying to recreate? In the example you show 3 things and I'm not sure which one is meant to deform, extrude, attach or path deform to the other?

Do you want the planes to show up on the splines with a specific orientation?
    You can path deform the planes to the splines, but you're probably stuck detaching each spline.

Are the splines representational of another object?
    You could extrude edges in edge mode to get hair planes. I suggest doing it in edit Mesh not edit poly because edit mesh creates a plane, edit poly creates a manifold piece of geometry that requires more editing.

Do you want to turn the splines into geometry planes?
    You could set the splines to rectangle and delete the back of the box.
    You could try using the sweep modifier.

It sounds like your making it more complicated than it needs to be, and only showing a small part of your complicated incomplete work flow isn't going to bring a lot of answers.
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well actually I want to turn splines into geometry planes. and as I told I want to use this tecknique to create lowpoly hairs.
    so the problem is how to convert these splines to plans.
    I thought I can do this using loft. but I can use Loft for only one spline, not bunch of them. and its really hard to detach them, use lof for each one and then attach them back together.
    hope you got my mean.

and sorry if my english is not good.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humm... so you want to do something like this?
    HairFurCardsUsingSplines.jpg
    Using the sweep modifier and defining a custom profile shape will get the job done.

The added bonus of this method is that you can tweak the profile shape and it changes the shape of the final cards.
    HairFurCardsUsingSplinesTweakProfile.gif
    Also be sure to turn on "Gen. Mapping Coords" to automatically create a good set of UV's for the new planes.

You can adjust each spline to control how dense the final cards will be. Right now the spline knots are set to smooth and the interpolation is set to 6 steps.

You can change the interpolation to 0 and get edges exactly where you have knots, or you can set the knots to "corner" (Select a vert > Right Click > Upper left quad menu > Corner).
    HairFurCardsUsingSplinesLowestInterpolation.jpg
  • omid3098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes Vig this was what I exacltely needed!
    Thanks dude :thumbup:

PS. thanks for addisional information!
    actually my late was for finding out how can I do these optimizations! :)