Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    BetelGeist wrote: »
    timemachinebetelgeistwip.jpg

I like how the boat is tilted forward, gives it a nice sense of dynamism
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Update, pretty much modeled the machine itself. I decided to do an original design but in the style of the stuff Zim has in his base. This was tough to keep under budget

I JUST fit Gir's head in there hehe! :)

All up 1995 tris:

plym2.png

BT7jc.png
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Love that you have gir in your design. love gir
  • Leandro Henriques
    Great idea and modeling.

This contest´s got lots of fun entries.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure if my last post got through, so I'll pretend this is my first...

Making progress on my design, guys. Gonna see if I can actually finish one of these things.

Would post progress shots, but still cannot (due to being a new member or something).

Got my geometry pretty much finalized. Used up all 2000 tris. Now I just have to UV and start texturing.
  • BadGeometry
    Some concept changes and geometry changes later I've arrived here. Put him in a nice futuristic jumpsuit to make him look more like a time traveler. He's also getting a matching camera.

Here's the progress on the texture so far. I wanted to finish him tonight but it's getting mighty late. Guess I'll have to settle for tomorrow.

t8rs4m.jpg

BetelGeist
    I love the direction you took with the design. Good luck with the shoulder pad!

Millah
    Now -that's- a time machine. Nice work!

Since you mentioned the bit about the inner ring around the wheels, I've played around with the idea a bit but I'm still not sure about it since the wheels may end up looking a bit more blocky/triangly. On the other hand, that's 40 extra tris to play with.

It won't mess up my UVs nor have I textured it yet so it's still up in the air.

Simmo
    Very nice! You really got the art style down pat. Lookin' forward to the textures.
  • beezul
    Hawken- Thanks dude! I couldnt imagine the shape without it being "posed" in action. was much easier to model while imaging it flying through time and space. complete with WHOOOHHHH VROOUUUUUUUUU sounds effects...

BadGeometry
    - thank you very much! I like to be as funky as possible. i got the shoulder pad in. All i had to do was clean up a bit. still hit 2k exactly. Wish I could start unwrapping to texture but Ive been swamped with some level design work for this indie game. Ill post another wip after the 11th!

Nice map by the way! Im really glad you made him look so futuristic with it. I was concerned that he looked a bit too modern judging by your last post. You def made a great choice there. I hope to see the scooter go the same route.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooray, I can finally post pictures! Here's my dude.

I sort of envision him as a middle class Italian tinker, circa 1900. As such, the ONLY fitting time machine would be one of those ridiculous disproportionate bicycles from the time period.

I used a total of 1976 tris, but I'm thinking about re-purposing some of of it (the toolbox to his right, and maybe the pouch to his left) to make the time machine cooler. I'm not sure it looks timey wimey enough right now.

BadGeometry- I'm really liking how your guy is turning out. Are you still doing the pet-thing?

BetelGeist - I love that ship, man. How big is it gonna be, proportionate to the alien? I think it'd be pretty cool if the sizes in the image you posted were the actual proportions.

ocarian - Loving that design so far! Can't wait to see him fully painted.

Flow - fantastic job coloring the time machine! I think your time-traveler still needs work, though. She (?) still looks kind of generic.
  • beezul
    Dirigible- thanks =D those are in fact pretty close to the actual proportions. I was thinking about bowsers flying head ship in Super Mario and Mario Kart as well. He will have his knees up to his chest rather silly like. I like to put spooky characters in silly scenarios =D

I like where you are goin with this design. I do feel however that the helmet seems a bit akward. It really doesnt look like it would stay on his head if he moved.

I suggest experimenting with the idea that maybe he took if from a giant soldier and its too big for his head. This way it could still be comical, but funtional as well.

Also, perhaps think about adding the tool box to the scooter. like on a carrier. That way He could collect tools from the past and still be able to ride his bike.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, the more I look at it the more I like it. The problem is that he's got a lock of hair that sticks up and out in front and it's conflicting with the helmet. Also I found out just how cartoonish his head is when I had to try to conform a realistic helmet to it.

As for the toolbox, that's how I had it originally. I think it'd probably be best if I went back to it. Too many separate pieces floating around isn't good.
  • beezul
    looks much better so far.. make sure his face is still visible though.. maybe just his mustache. although he is wearing a warrior helmet you must still push the comedy. he has a funny face =D
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    I've pretty much finalized the geometry, especially since I UV'd everything.

BetelGeist, I took pretty much all of your suggestions (can't say no to good advice!), and I also redesigned the bike to make it more...appealing?

I'm now at exactly 2000 tris, woohoo.

Now comes the hard part....texturing....

*ADDENDUM: I'm new to polycount, so sorry if this is obvious, but...why is it that when everyone else posts an image it appears directly in the thread, but when I do it they appear as thumbnails that I have to open?
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone is hosting their image, then posting them using image code. A good place to do this is www.tinypic.com it'll give you the code you need to post on forums.
  • Flow
    Here is a smal update for my time traveler .. Texture is advanced well but I have some things to be made.
    1924 tris

tmwip6.jpg

Good job everyone !
  • ocarian
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Cool Work Flow :)

Thanks for comment BetelGeist butt_sahib and dirigible :D

New Up

WIPCOLOR_02.jpg

New Polycount 1078 Triangle for character (Last 1090 triangles)

Keep up
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Making progress with the texturing. His eyes actually made him look so adorable that I had to shrink the irises.eg94di.jpg
    ocarian, that looks fantastic!
    flow, I like the energy bubble. I'd been considering making one of those for my time machine, but I'm out of polygons :(
  • Millah
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    Keep up the good work everyone! :) Lots of nice updates this weekend from people. Here's my little update. Got the guy first pass uv'ed and an early texture going for fatty. Def. have more work to do. Not sure if I'll keep the face or not, his expression looks kinda dumb at the moment but that might be funny? meh. Was going for an overbite for sure. I'm all ears for any crits. :)

timevendor4.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to have to forfeit; an indie game I'm working on will be releasing info soon, so I'm needed elsewhere.

This is as far as I got:

TM4.jpg

Good luck to the rest of you!
  • GreasyMnky
    Modeling is almost finished, so far I have managed to get exactly 1000 tris for the character and 1000 tris for the machine!

I might optimize the machine a bit more, thinking of getting 8 tris from the legs, 4 from the dash and 8 more from the antenna for a total of 20 extra triangles. I think I will use them for a holographic interface…

lpc_tm_wip_mod01.jpg

lpc_tm_wip_mod02.jpg

lpc_tm_wip_mod03.jpg

lpc_tm_wip_mod04.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xmwjXN670[/ame]
  • Millah
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    Zwebbie: Dang man. was looking forward to your entry. I loved your lp oz entry over on GA

GreasyMnky: Nice vehicle dude! Makes me wish I had done an actual vehicle. :)
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Progressing with my texture.23r2wk2.jpg
    GreasyMnky, it looks like you have some unused tris lurking around the top of your character's breasts. You probably don't need two edgeloops circling her neck, either. The dashboard and antenna you already know about...I think you could also probably collapse some of the quads on the rear-view mirror into tris without losing any silhouette, same for the head-lights. You could probably make the bug-legs into triangular prisms instead of rectangular prisms, without losing any noticible detail. All told that's like...100 extra tris.

Zwebbie, too bad you're dropping out, man. Your mausoleum looks awesome.

Millah, I would definitely change the face. It looks pretty out of place, especially the skin tone. Most people get more 'ruddy' around the face, but this guy's skin gets yellower.

His hairy chest and stomach are grossing me out, man!
  • BadGeometry
    Progress!

2u44rjb.png

He's about 90% done. Gotta do some seem fixin' and finishing touches, but he's almost there. Tomorrow, scooter time.

Flow
    Good work so far. I think you could push the smoke a bit more.

ocarian
    Nice job! I love his face. The eyebrows look a little too far up when his goggles are raised up. The alpha hair looks really nice.

Millah
    Dear lord, that massive flab! That forest of body hair! Good job. His facial skin tone doesn't seem to match his body's tone though.

Zwebbie
    I'm sorry to see you drop out man. You really had an interesting idea going with the ruins motif. I hope you'll consider finishing it sometime soon.

GreasyMnky
    The time machine has a really neat silhouette! Looking forward to textures.

dirigible
    I love the detail you've put on his vest and pants. It looks awesome so far. Keep it up man!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    wow this challenge is certainly heating up!

very impressive guys
  • Ani
    There's some really great stuff here! I'm tempted to join in the fun :D
  • GreasyMnky
    @dirigible thank you for the critics, it allowed me to scavenge around a 100 tris wich I used for the holograms above the vehicule and for the belt of the character. I tried to remove one loop of the neck, but it broke the feminine silhouette. I also kept the legs 4 sided, I want them to be solid beams of metal.

At first, I tried to put the bags on the back of the vehicule, but I think they look better on the character. The models are still at 2000 triangles.

(top character go with top vehicle)

lpc_wip_optimisation01.jpg
    lpc_wip_optimisation02.jpg

@BadGeometry thx for the comment, I hope I will be able to compete with your texture skills. Can't wait to see what you will do for the scooter textures.

I also began to unwrap (btw the TexTool script with RoadKill totally rocks!)
    This is what I have so far:

lpc_wip_uvw01.jpg
  • amsmntparks
    Offline / Send Message
    amsmntparks polycounter lvl 18
    drdtexturedpass1.png

First pass on the textures. Still need to drop in shadows, highlights, and maybe a touch of AO. Thoughts?
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Man some really great progress in this thread, I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the finished time machines :)

GreasyMnky: I love the design and silhouette, really nice modeling. Also I agree, textools is great, such a time saver!

amsmntparks: Looking good, great idea. I think with some shading it'll look great, if you're going for the toony look. Your texturing style makes me rethink mine:

tIuoy.png

m7ph2.png

I've never really done this kind of texturing before (not that I'm that experienced in texturing at all!) I'm thinking of scrapping it, and re-doing it in a more cel-shaded way, more like the show.. I don't know at this point. It's obviously nowhere near done as it is. Nevertheless, any feedback at this stage would be greatly appreciated!

Keep up the awesome work everyone, this is lots of fun
  • Coolbot4k
    Offline / Send Message
    Coolbot4k polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, amazing work everyone! :)

This challenge looked rather interesting, so I decided to join in myself. I chose to do Robot Ness and his time machine from Earthbound. These were my references:
    TimeTravelReferences.png

And here's what I've produced so far:
    NessRobotNoWire.pngNessRobotFront.pngNessRobotBack.png
    NessandPhaseDistorter.png

Ness is 434 triangles, and the "phase distorter" so far is 628, so I'm well under budget. I'm not too sure about the texture for Ness. I may redo it.
  • GreasyMnky
    @Simmo thx for the kind comment:)

@amsmntparks great start on the textures!

As for my progress I still have some optimisation to do on the UV space, and I might have to sraighten some of the shells borders to avoid getting jagged seams...

Heres a screenshot (square = 4x4 pixels)

lpc_wip_uvw02.jpg

I'm open to suggestions on how to optimize the space or to redo the unwrapping (I'm still new at this)

Looking forward to see the outcomes of this challenge
  • beezul
    GreasyMnky wrote: »
    @Simmo thx for the kind comment:)

@amsmntparks great start on the textures!

As for my progress I still have some optimisation to do on the UV space, and I might have to sraighten some of the shells borders to avoid getting jagged seams...

Heres a screenshot (square = 4x4 pixels)

lpc_wip_uvw02.jpg

I'm open to suggestions on how to optimize the space or to redo the unwrapping (I'm still new at this)

Looking forward to see the outcomes of this challenge

lookin really cool dude. awesome design so far.
    doesnt folding the geometry like that (left onto right on the body) create an artifact or slight seam running down the front of the model?
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    GreasyMnky wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd straighten some of the edges on your UV map to make them easier to paint. The middle seam of the torso will look better if it's straight, and the arms and the robot's legs ought to be much easier to work on if you change them.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    BetelGeist
    No, mirroring UVs does not automatically cause artifacts. In fact, it can even help you get rid of seams! Pic related, there are 4 mirror seams in this picture. Can you spot them all?
    9i8xok.jpg

GreasyMnky
    I've tried something new on this project, which is making my UV edges nearly square. This allows me to draw lines that run perfectly horizontally and vertically. This is the only reason I am able to get such crispy lines on the pants (above picture) - they are just 1 pixel wide lines that run vertically up the texture. The technique causes some stretching, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Pants do usually stretch and deform, etc etc.

Here's how I UV'd my character:2qncu3l.jpg

CoolBot4K
    Looks good so far, man!
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    all that text on your UV map might prove a problem ;)
  • BlazeF
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    Hey guys,

This is my first low poly character to date. Still in the middle of tweaking some of the verts but I think I'm pretty close to getting the wires finished.

I'm sort of cheating here by my choice... but I couldn't help but pick one of my favorite time travelers, Cable.

Any critique or help with the model would be much appreciated. I'd like to clean up my wires further and even get a little more organic with what I have.

cablesil2.jpg

cablesilwires2.jpg

Thanks guys
  • BadGeometry
    Progress on the scooter.

2pozhwy.jpg

The back needs still needs plenty of work but so far I'm really pleased with how it's coming along. With any luck, I'll have this bad boy finished tonight and ready for rigging. After which I'll have to a short hiatus for Siggraph. But I should be back in time to submit the final entry.

amsmntparks
    I think one thing you might wanna do if you decide to add some AO would be to up the contrast on your AO after you bake it so you get some sharper shadow edges.

Simmo
    Your texture is looking great! If you still want to do it over, I'd still hold on to this one. If you throw on toon shader on that guy it'll be a spitting image of the show I think.

Coolbot4k
    If Ness is barealy scratching 500, I think you can afford to add a few bevels to him and make him look a bit nicer. The phase distorter is spot on. I might shorten the nose just a tad, but other than that, it looks good.

GreasyMnky
    Thanks for the compliment, man.

dirigible
    Loving that layout, man. You gotta tell me how you got rid of the seams on the top of his head where the scalp meets the rest of the head. With hair it's not exactly an easy thing to do.

BlazeF
    He looks pretty good, though he also looks to be a little high on the tricount. He also needs an edge ring or two along his waist.
  • BlazeF
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    @BadGeo - That model is looking pretty sick :) Could you share the wires on all of that?

Currently on my model it's at about 1900 tri right now. So I'm just under the limit. Might add to a few areas to really push that silhouette. I also agree that his waist could use another loop to define that form a bit.
  • GreasyMnky
    Thx everyone for the constructive critics!

@ BadGeometry I really like glowing lines on the side of the scooter

@Betelgeist
    Thats what I was afraid but seems like Zwebbie and dirigible had a solution, now I hope I straightened everything allright

this is my new layout :

lpc_wip_uvw03.jpg
  • BadGeometry
    Scooter is almost done.

4j2uch.jpg

All the major parts are done for the most part. Would love some crits and suggestions since I still think it's missing something. I'm gonna add a dust/dirt layer once everything else is done.

BlazeF
    1900 tris eh? Nice job! Looks more high poly than he actually is.

I'm glad you like it! You can see my wires on page 4 of this thread, though I've made some changes to the Time Traveler since. Mostly joints loops and stuff. Nothing too major. I'll be posting updated wires probably when I finish up.

GreasyMnky
    Thanks man!

Your UV layout looks much better than before. You're really cramming in detail in there.
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, nice job everyone. I'm really gonna have to step it up.

Ani: Don't you be teasing me, darlin'!

Getting back to this. First texture pass on the traveler.
    timetraveler_wip03.jpg
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    BadGeometry
    Actually the problem wasn't filling the seam between hair and scalp. I laid out my UVs such that the face, scalp, and beginning of the hair were all on the same island. The hard part was bridging the gap between the start of the hair, and the main body of the hair.
    ajx92b.jpg
    To do this I exported my model as a .obj and imported it into Photoshop's 3D paint tools. This allowed me to paint directly on my model using all the familiar tools of photoshop, so that I could directly paint out the seams. Mudbox and Zbrush can do this as well, but my computer's hardware isn't good enough to run either of those :(
    Nice texturing, man! I love the colors you have going. I'm worried that the time traveler will be overpowered by the scooter, though. The traveler himself is just black, white and faded orange, but the scooter is VIVID BURNING RED-ORANGE.

GreasyMnky - nice layout, man!
  • BadGeometry
    Dirigible
    Ah, of course. I always forget that Photoshop can do some 3D action. I really need to learn how to do that. That stuff's been out for a while and I still haven't figured out how to do it.

You raise a good point. I might try and make his vest a little more vibrant and up the contrast on his suit. I might try using some different colors for the hot spots on the skin and suit as well. That might make him stand out some more.
  • beezul
    Coolbot4k- thanks for that blast from the past.. loved that game! looks just like it.

Dirigible- Thanks for the tip. I think the reason i asked was because I ran into some issues with that overlap while rendering in Maya. It was low poly stuff and I wanted higher res clean images. So i went through hell trying to hide what looked like a seam running down where i folded the uvs perfectly ontop of each other.
    You textures are looking wonderful..
    BadGeometry- Very cool scooter brah. I want one o those. Hope Siggraph worked out for ya.... you guys need to try some Modo 3D painting.

This was Painted in Modo
    betelgeist-timetraver.jpg

Still need some tweaks... but Im going to move on top the ship and try folding the uvs over to save some space.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    It's good, but will look much better once you turn off the blending. LPC challenges prohibit the use of texture blending (filtering) and antialiasing. Check out the LPC style guide thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51622

you should be going for something "crispy" like this:

timetraveler_wip03.jpg
  • beezul
    ohhhhhhh. whoops! ive never done that before. ill get right on that! thanks
  • beezul
    Looks like i need to fold the face and move some things around to get the chest a little more uv space =/ BALLLLLSS
    betelgeist-timetraver2.jpg
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Arrgh, I've been working with bilinear texture filtering this entire time! Well here's my traveler's pretty much finished texture, with no filtering or aliasing.
    2ev46jt.png

It's been suggested that his iris and pupil should just be solid blue and solid black...thoughts?

Also, gloves: yes/no?
  • BlazeF
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    @Dirigible: That guy is lookin pretty damn sweet man! Loving the textures on scarf and jacket!

@Badgeo: haha my bad, didn't see them there even though I swear I looked for them O_o Anyway super clean work :) I don't think I'm going to post the updated wires... just because there's no real use... heh

Though textures should be started on pretty soon... been busy... with my new tv this weekend...................... /hugs tv
  • ocarian
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Hi all

Cool texture Work BetelGeist and Dirigible

New Up on Machine's Texture

WIPCOLOR_03.jpg

timemachine.jpg

That all for this week end more soon :D

Keep on the good work all :)
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dirigible: I think you should try to make the skin tones more lively. They're pretty monochrome at the moment. I made a quick paintover:

dirigiblepaintover.jpg

What it mostly came down to was adding saturated red in the darker areas (and I went ahead and kept it for the hair and clothing as well). The ears, cheeks, nose and the tips of the fingers got an extra layer of red as well. I also think you ought to define the nose better, since it tends to fall away when you squint; The paintover has a bit of specularity and a shadow under the nose and moustache.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Zwebbie! I think you're right about livening up the skin tones. I consciously decided not to paint the shadows in redder tones, but I don't think that I managed to accomplish what I was going for. I'll go in and red things up.

My limitation is that he is entirely self-lit, and the mustache will be moving around so I can't paint a shadow under it.

Great advice, I'll post an updated version soon.