Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - EzMeow

Replies

• Al Capwn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make it shoot eggs? XP

Anyway, serious mode. That thing is WIN! Im tied between loving your pack more or Buck's pack more

I CANT DECIDE
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dickless wrote: »
    Erm what has the medic got to do with the Gestapo other than the fact he's German?

Also "Accent and vocabulary" for Sniper? What does that even mean. Everyone has an accent and a vocabulary.

How is it that NOBODY sees the extremely obvious Nazi stereotype Medic is based on?

I'm not great at making examples, however I can give a few.

Battlefield Heroes.
    0.58 in this video.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u87Amt0Z8Pc&feature=related[/ame]

Herr Flick of the Gestapo from Allo' Allo'
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JciDsoPISLw[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBharndqLNA[/ame]

Like these characters:
    Medic's personality is strict, frustrated, and sadistic.
    He has a very neat posture, and very well attended appearance, and an accent very stereotypical to this stereotype.

Ps. Sniper has stereotypically Australian accent and vocabulary.
    Although there was an error in my writing, I thought that would be obvious enough either way.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ask sparkwire.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Psyke wrote: »
    ask sparkwire.

the barrel bone is coded, so just swap your model with the default model in the smd, link the barrel to that bone and it should work ingame.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire: Resident Animator
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the explanation about the barrel, unfortunately it won't help me with my weapon, as I wanted to add another rotating element which isn't in the same axes as the barrel T_T.
    I've started the texture and tried some color pattern and arrangement, this is where i went so far :

wip19.jpg

(yay angles flood) nothing final, I'm mostly fighting with this 512 map constraint >.<
  • Galago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually like that off-white color, it does well to distinguish (quite a bit) from the current weapon (I wouldn't call Natascha 'unique').
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like these colours!

oh man i just noticed the easybake mini oven part

BRILLIANT!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the color. Consider making a version with an upped texture quality and letting Valve decide between it and the 512.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I'd say make the barrels grey, you never see black beaters.
  • pocketsurprise
    Looks great but, it doesnt have a trigger.
    To me that gun looks like it was made to start with a pull string (like a lawnmower)
    maybe instead of spinning up, your set up time is pulling the string.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, I didn't bother with the trigger because the original minigun just doesn't have anything looking like one. So let's keep the "magic triggering" stuff~.
    On a more serious side, I'm adding some more modeling details to compensate the lack of texture resolution, so I'll see if I find something interresting that fit in the triangles budget for the trigger (if not I'll simply let it this way ~)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    oh yes baby! now that's one sexy machine! Love the white, maybe some industrial logo/warning or serial number on it and its done!
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am loving that heavy machine gun!

Maybe i'd make that white darker too much white for TF2 in my opinion.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am heavy cooking guy... and THIS, is my eggbeater... she beats 5 eggs at 2000 rounds per minute, it cost 400,000 dollars to eat those eggs... for 12 seconds...
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great but, it doesnt have a trigger.
    That's a good idea.

We just need you to give us a picture of the trigger on the default Minigun in TF2 so we know where to start :poly121:
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Looking ace, I'd darken the brown parts of the handle a bit more though and offer some slight variation in color tone. Now show us heavy holding this having his chef hat.
  • nex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nex
    yours and Bucks pack will be tight fight...other items quality will decide...

colors as awesome...dont change anything
  • KamikazeBeaver
    Im diggin' the mingun! :D
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update~
    Not much change in the texture I've added some modeling to regain some detail (I'm now around 7800 triangles) :

wip20.jpg

Miscellaneous question time ! I've notice that the model viewer was displaying twice as my poly count in maya.
    Anyone know if there is something wrong in my model compilation that I get double sided mesh or is this the way that the model viewer handles any models? o.O (Cause I noticed that the original minigun get the same doubled poly count as in maya)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure about Maya, but the model viewer should be showing the triangle count, while Maya could be showing the number of faces. So if you are modelling in quads, you'll have twice as less quads than tris.

At least this is how Max works. Poly count shows the number of faces rather than the number of tris.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm refering to my triangles count in maya so I know it is the right polycount.
    I was guessing that the model viewer was drawing triangles in a double sided way mostly because I've seen some thread on polycount where people get their model right in the model viewer but with reversed normal in TF2.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thou art correcte, sire. I just checked my own model in modelviewer and it's twice the Max tri count.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Looking great. What do you think about my suggestion about the grey beaters/trim as opposed to straight black?
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    Thou art correcte, sire. I just checked my own model in modelviewer and it's twice the Max tri count.
    Best way to reduce polycount is to chop down on stuff the first person camera wont see.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, that's not the issue.

Modelviewer is counting each face as if it had two sides. Hence twice the number of polys.

Also, since Valve is using c_models now, there's no need to chop sides you won't see in first person.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well unfortunately I'll have to do a v_model as the minigun does not have a c model version and mostly because in the first person view the minigun is absolutely cheated in its proportion so it can fit well in the screen.
    @ Karkasmolenklok : I don't think I'll make it grey. In one of my first test, I did it in grey and it wasn't that much looking good. However I still haven't paint the black part variation in the texture yet, and I wanted to use these variation to get the beater slightly lighter.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Did you check if Natascha has a c_model? The original minigun wouldn't because they didn't use c_models in the stock weapons.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natascha is just the ammo belt, refered as ludmila in the c_models. And then ludmila exist in c_v_ludmila and c_w_ludmila, which respectively plug themselves on the minigun (sasha).
    Then there is also a texture mask to make the minigun completely black, but it's not the issue here :p
  • 0ur hero niko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the belt makes it look too much like Natasha though. Maybe if you change the colors a little or morph it some to make it look unique.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thats great!
  • Dalmationer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't like the belt feed, but apart from that, awesome work! :poly142:
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok...incoming problem x_X... I was working on the V_model for the minigun (v and w model are a lot different) but I can't get it right. So I tried to just decompile and recompile the original minigun and....it doesn't give anything good. Look like the animation smd that i get are just wrong. Anyone know how to deal with this issue?
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow wrote: »
    ok...incoming problem x_X... I was working on the V_model for the minigun (v and w model are a lot different) but I can't get it right. So I tried to just decompile and recompile the original minigun and....it doesn't give anything good. Look like the animation smd that i get are just wrong. Anyone know how to deal with this issue?

First, about the double polygon count in HLMV: that's a bug having to do with the cloaking code in your .vmt. It sounds strange, but if you set "$cloakPassEnabled" to 0, it'll fix your polygon problem. It's perfectly normal, so just leave $cloakPassEnabled to 1.

As for the view model animations, that's due to the fact decompiled animations tend to be a bit shit. The only known way to get around this is to use the $includemodel command.

- Copy and paste the minigun.mdl into a folder of your choosing, but within TF2's file structure (models/weapons/Anims works well)

- In your .qc add $includemodel "weapons/anims/minigun.mdl" (adjust to fit where you put the .mdl), and remove the $sequences.

$includemodel will copy over only the $sequence and $animation data, nothing else; you won't have two miniguns fighting for screen space.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot it seems to work fine (I was starting to have an headache trying all export possibility).
    Now I have to see how to handle the bones and mesh indexation in the .smd because when I export my smd model all element don't get exactly the same index and in my case for example, the hand animation is playing in a bad orientation.

Edit : nevermind, this problem was just due to the fact that I was removing the unused influence object during the skinning process, which was deleting some bones of the hierarchy. It works fine now (now I have to redo this but with the final model, this was just for testing purpose O.o; ). Thanks again OpethRockr55.
  • Ikimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    No, that's not the issue.

Modelviewer is counting each face as if it had two sides. Hence twice the number of polys.

Also, since Valve is using c_models now, there's no need to chop sides you won't see in first person.

Merge edges would have been a better phrase to use on my half.
  • Whool Socks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. One of the best food themes.
  • spamqad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You crossed the line bud!
    Only saxtion hale should have the ability to create such awsome weapons!
    But if you do not care of saxtion hales wrath ... this is quite the heavy weapon! Also you must think about how the pyro will be jealous ...

But please continue the awsome work!

-spamqad
  • spamqad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOHHHH the pyros gonna be jealous when he sees this beater
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with the v_model (texture not done on it) and in game view. I think I can call the w_model texture done :

wip21d.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great! Are you going to try to create any sounds to send in with it? Or after the contest as update?

It should really have the batter beater appliance sound when it winds up.
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup:
    INCREDIBLY PEERFECT!
  • Nadzor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice, i like the current texture of the barrel but i think a silver texture would work aswell when you think of actual eggbeaters/mixers. also i think the name should be somethign along the line of 'head beater' or something along those lines.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heavy is credit to kitchen
  • spamqad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I absolutely love the whole egg beater concept and the fact you keep giving us more pictures to get us excited bu I kinda want to see this beater in action yah know. just a sip of whats to come.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say I have somewhat changed my mind on this not fitting Heavy.

While I still think the "Russian Chef" stereotype is a little farfetched... I think this could still pass because of Heavy's figure and love for eatings things such as the Sandwich.
  • Sikyanakotik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember, Heavy's miniguns all have Russian women's names.

Here's a suggestion: Elena.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moving stuff ~

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW_W6VTEd4o[/ame]

The second gear of the minigun isn't moving as it's code controlled (I'll just mention it on the submission note stuff)

The cookie, chef hat and minigun seems ready now. (Just need to do a lil plate for the cookie as dropped item.)
    I can't get something satisfying on the oven glove skinning and setup ( as well as there is no custom animation done) but as I like them visually, I think I'm gonna submit the model this way and let valve handle it.
    As for the dish towel there was some skinning issue too, so I guess I'm gonna do a kind of pin or badge instead but I need some idea.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the mittens, can't you consult some other skilled modeler on the issues you're facing with it :O?

I really feel it would make your pack complete to include the mittens.
    They fit the Chef theme perfectly and would be a good backup in case Valve decides they don't want the cookie, as there is a possibility they wouldn't want more items to have unfitting voice lines like the Dalakohs-bar or because it could be considered to stray a bit too far out of the "Chef" theme.

If you can't get the dish towel to work, just crap the idea of a misc item.
    I personally don't think we need more medals, but do a misc item if you can come up with something interesting that isn't a medal :S
  • Cheeezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my favorite heavy pack.

Please do a napkin bib
    1950s-1960s-elderly_~p921.jpg