Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

retrospective - Steffen Neox Unger - imageheavy

Replies

• Mladen Jovicic
    mann, so much great work! spent the last hour going thru this thread again.

gotta ask, how did you do the chain-mail around his head? and the bake for it too? did it lag at all?
    i know if i even attempted that much geometry my computer would probably blow up
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Hi Mladen,

yes the polycount was definitely an issue, not so much for the renderer, i dunno where the limit for the scanliner is, my biggest mesh i baked without probles was 30mio quads.
    But max gets slow and sluggish with a lot of objects and i had to be able to tweak them in viewport and not only be able to have them in renderer.

At first i tried it with a very lowpoly torus like this

maille_01gif
    and created a whole bunch of them to test the performance, well it got sluggish so i had to find a simpler way to create good believable Rings

So i tried it with the lowest poly ring i could think of, this:

maille_02gif
    together with a shell modifier and a turbosmooth it would give a decent ring i thought...

well i was wrong
    maille_03gif
    its edgy not really smooth so i had to go a bit higher in polycount to make it a believable maille ring

this was the best and lightest shape
    maille_04gif
    with shell and turbosmooth its good enough
    maille_05gif

So next step was to create a tileable piece for the chainmail itself, there are dozens of maille patterns which are different to read, i decided to go with the most simple pattern i could find as it is the best to read from far, the more complex patters just got noisy in all my tests, and damn there are complex patterns...

So what you do is this:
    maille_06gif
    maille_07gif

then do it in the other direction
    maille_08gif
    maille_09gif

which together with shell and turbosmooth gives you this
    maille_10gif
    a tilable pice which can easily expanded
    maille_11gif
    maille_12gif
    as you see its already wuite polyheavy but because of me working with the stack, i could just turn off the shell and the turbosmooth and ended up with less polygons to handle

So the next thing i did was modeland sculpt a rough version of his chainmail hood with the wrinkles i thought it would have
    maille_13gif
    i also unwrapped it, so i could unfold it with a tool called slideknit, most of you might already know it, some might not, MoP did a maya conversion and i think you can do similar things with RenderHJS TexTools
    You can find it here http://slidelondon.com/ in the Tools Section

So what it does with the unwrap is this
    maille_14gif
    flatten it to a plane and you then are able to morph between the flat shape and the round one.

The next step would be to place a large tilable maille pattern on it, i don't have this stuff any more and i don't want to reproduce it, but its just placing the pattern you want onto the flattened surface and then skinwrap it to the morpher object, so if you animate the morpher it moves acordingly, also i created several pieces as the design had an overlapping part and then removed some rings here and there. And also fixed the seams by hand, with placing only a few rings by hand, whih also gave a bit more of a handmade look

Which brought me this

maille_15gif
     the bit of stretching here and there is due to the unwrap, which could be fixed, but as it it under his shirt, i didn't care tooooo much

About the baking part, well thats pretty straight forward, works the same as floaters or anything else just fine

Will do another qick tutorial on the padded armor, as this has been asked on zbrushcentral, but not now
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work Neox :)
  • Mladen Jovicic
    ahh, so that's how its done.. yeah because i always wondered how to do it efficiently in maya. placing the pattern by hand seemed like a waste of time and you would have to be crazy to do it one by one.

im have to download that script by Mop for maya.

thanks for the very detailed tutorial!
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Yep, very cool tuto!
    I just tried Slideknit, and easy/fast to have good result. great!

Thanks Neox!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    really nice stuff man. you must never sleep
    ha I work with the guys at slide london sometimes as a freelancer.
  • Jojones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need that chain armor tutorial Like 3 weeks ago. great work man love it all
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neox thats awesome thanks for the hints on the mail! also can we see the wires on the baked knight? im curious about a few things in there.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    oh didn't see the newer answers :O

thanks guys!

woog: will see if i can find a wireshot, if not produce one...

:edit: ok found one shot of the head

dude_09.jpg

ok here is something a bit older for airborn, i wanted to put some music under it but well its kinda hard to find a 20minutes uptempo song :D

so here is the making of Garrido, the looney Airborn lighthousekeeper - 20 minutes and already timelapsed, the full sculpting process.

http://vimeo.com/10109514

is there a way to bind vimeo videos into the boards?
    the embedd code doesn't seem to work
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff as always, and huge thanks for the garrido video.. :D
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seconding bbob! Garrido vid was delicious
  • slave_one
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slave_one polycounter lvl 18
    Weird I never saw this thread before, glad i've seen it now. Its great to see much of your work neox.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    I watched the Garrid vid as well. great watch. enjoyed it alot.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    great video :) How long did it take you to sculpt him?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Your work is always really impressive neox, this thread is great. Nice to watch you sculpt too.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice vid, interesting technique, very nicely done sir. thanks for the wires shot very nice work again. tried out your mail technique last night with mop's slide knit and it worked like a charm. good resource thanks for the heads up again!
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the video.
    Really fun to see you sculpt cloth, you make it look like its easy!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i love your style, Neox!
    that knight is friggin sweet.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hey thanks guys :)

@crazyfool: its somewhat hard to say, the video was captured with 12FPS and playback is at 60 which is 5times faster but zbrush doesn't capture every action, so i doubt i only worked like 100 minutes on it xD i think its something around 6-8hrs spread over several evenings. but its really hard to say on airborn i don't stop the times i use to create stuff as money isn't what counts on em

@skayne: really that'd be super boring, i use like 4 brushes, claytubes for pretty much every form creation, standard with a super fine alpha for wrinkles and such finde details, polish (in 3.1 i used flatten for this instead) for flattening areas and smooth for blending the rough blockouts into each other. Its really not that interesting as i use only so few brushes with sometimes switching alphas, but not very often.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks alot for the tutorial noex. Mucho gracias
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hey Neox,

thank for the vid, I really dig how clean and effiecient you work! I had lots of fun watching.

Keep Rocking!
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thanks guys.

skayne: these days i use trim dynamic alot its behaviour is also pretty cool for flattening out parts

this year i had a lot of under NDA projects for film and TV, games somewhat died out over here, a lot of companies closed or switched over to browser games, so it was a pretty interesting year for me, changing workflows, thinking in other ways, a lot of changes here and there, going from udk to unity, which was a really nice step for me, well yeah- stop mumbling, start pimping, here a few images i can show from the last few months

some people might know most of it already, i just want to keep this thread updated

chris_sanders_tribute_step8_by_polyphobia3d.jpg
    something i did as a salute to the great chris sanders, he contacted me a few weeks after i did it, possibly it will get a bit more attention in the next months

space_beaver_by_polyphobia3d.jpg
    started working on warsoup, this little fella got canned right after i did him though, but will be a fun production and also interesting challenge for the upcoming year :)

schaaaaf_21.jpg
    i guess a lot of people already saw this, eventually i'll find the time to finish him, maybe even pose him a bit, but right now my schedule is too stuffed for any personal projects

a_03.jpg
    a_03da.jpg

something i started but never found the time work further on, and i hate rendering it takes so friggin long, and there are not even any textures/bumps applied yet, oh well another started and not finished personal project this year. Feels a bit like i only did personal stuff this year :O but i worked quite a lot but most stuff isn't ready for the public yet

construction_shot.jpg
    presentation_sheet.jpg

and yet another personal project, and this time finished, well as said before not too happy with it, but doesn't matter i already removed all the work in progress data from my hard disk, don't want to open her anymore - but eventualy i'll do a sdk with her like i did with the sheep, but then i'll need to tweak the stuff that i didn't find the time while comicon as my dad went to hospital, and is even yet not released from it, after 4 very heavy surgeries :X

elf_07.jpg
    oh cool comething work related i can show already a small elf for a christmas ad from the tv station SKY, i recieved a very rough concept and from that on did a design of my own, it got changed entirely by the agency i was working for and then switched back to my initial design attempt, yay :D

So what else did i do? well yeah, digging into unity and javascript, testing stuff for airborn, apperently i did some supervision and consulting jobs this year as well, somewhat cool to get paid for stuff i do anyways on forums, bitch about other peoples work, rip it apart and let them do it again, haha ^^
    And well tvseries and film stuff, will show it once i'm allowed to, but the show i worked on for over 6 months was the most requested on MIPcom, whichrather surprised any of us - well no one of us knew mipcom before that but its some huge entertainment expo in Cannes so i guess its somewhat of a cool trophy for our hard work.
    And i have to say, environment is just not my thing, i can do it for a while and its fun but after doing THOUSANDS of roots, it starts to stink - i'm happy that i'm back on characters now :D

well yeah thats it, i doubt i'll have any more updates this year, so have a nice christmas, new years eve, a good time, to adam a good hand and thanks for watching :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely stuff, as always Neox.

That Chris Sanders tribute is still one of my favourite pieces of CG I've seen for a long time... so much character in that erm.... character!

Looking forward to seeing what happens with Warsoup too, and the stuff you create with it.

I don't commonly see much in the way of 'Style' in character art these days, there's so much 'Generic Male Combat Expert A' but you've definitely got a recognisable style, and that's awesome.

Merry Christmas to you too man!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff! I'm always amazed by how much work you pump out (and all high quality too).

When you say you went from UDK to Unity do you mean for presentation purposes? Do you usually do more than just modeling/texturing for your clients?

By the way, I hope your father will be okay. Have a safe and happy holidays.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    well after lots of good news and him looking fitter, since yesterday we know chemical treatment will start soon, yay :X

@haikai: from time to time i do little things in engines not only for presentation, for presentation i usually render in max, only a couple of times i did it in unreal, its just a too slow process for me - but no i was primarily talking about airborn, its not entirely decided yet but looks like we all like unity and its easier to get into and we are not as code dependent as with unreal.
    Also i used it for little apps for a director i worked with on a last project, so he can fly through the current sets, play with the fov and tilt of the cam, takes a screenshot for the storyboarders and the animators later will have all the camera information so its easy to reproduce.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    so you thinking about porting airborn to unity and release it as a indie game??? :)