Home Technical Talk

TF 2 TEXTURING - MAKING OF

Hello ,
to follow up threads
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=71221
and
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=69380

I've realized a little " making of " - TF 2 Texture based on photosource.

tf2texturinglogo.jpg

tf2texturing.jpg

(It's just an idea and in any case I don't pretend that's perfect !)

I hope You like it :poly121:

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It works pretty well but it needs some hue and saturation variation.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I Agree with Alec it looks greyscale just colored, also still has a filterish look to it. I don't know the actual process of creating TF2 textures at Valve but they look pretty hand painted :)

Maybe you could use yours as a base then paint on it?
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    That's really good. I had a go myself. At the end I did Guassian blur by 2.0 but that blurred it a lot. Was that correct?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would definitely start with this then do a quick painting pass on it to liven the texture up a bit. The filtered look I can live with, but its really without intent other than 1 basic colour and some wood shapes.

Nice little mini-tut.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Fairly good tutorial! I've seen a few of these filter processes to get TF2 style textures but this one has the best results that I've seen yet. I agree it may need a bit of a paint over though just to get away from the monochrome look. Whenever I start the TF2 project I've been meaning to start the last two years (Probably when at least one of the mods I'm working on is released) I'll definitely use this for my custom texture needs.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    This really depends on the texture that you begin with as well. I've seen numerous ideas around this topic, and they all work differently depending on the situation. You could try not desaturating in the beginning... maybe that will retain some of the color differences.
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp wrote: »
    That's really good. I had a go myself. At the end I did Guassian blur by 2.0 but that blurred it a lot. Was that correct?
    NO.
    I think that You've made mistake.
    The right way is
    FILTER/SHARPEN/SMART SHARPEN => ( with value by "default", "100%", "2" ,Gaussian Blur )

Thanks for Yours replies guys. :thumbup:
    Yes , I agree that this is the fast way how to get " BASIC" texture from photosource which You can take as reference to paint or overpaint.
    That's the goal.
    Greyscale or Not - I think that's individual choice , nothing bad there.
    Personally I'm satisfied with the result and could be interesting to make some test in a SOURCE ENGINE or in UDK with polyphobia's cell shader
    http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament-3/tutorials/tf2-shading-in-ut3

Whatever a last night I've continued to play with my texture to get
    some bump on it.
    I think that now I move away from TF 2 style but I like the result.

updatetf2makeoff.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    its Neox, or Steffen only polyphobia where the most generic oldschool nickname has already been taken by some dumb ass kid :D
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah , I know that You're polycounter but I could not remember Your nickname here.
    Excuse me Neox. I like a lot Your work at AIRBORN .
    Do You use at AIRBORN Your cell shader ?
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming from an illustration background, I turn my nose up everytime I see someone using cutout or autotrace :D But for a rough and ready, pseudo illustrated look for a texture? It seems not too bad actually. And let's say if you do need to create a lot of textures in a hurry etc.

The basic colourisation looks horrible, but with the basic shapes and contrast there, you could get it looking pretty good with some proper colour work.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Just using smart blur to an extent on a real photo seems to work fine :P
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a crack at this, not saying anyone did anything wrong, just approached a slightly different way.

Taking a look at some TF2 textures and using the source image, I thought this would get me close.
    TF2Wood2.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey IW did you edit your post? Cant see a link to any tutorial and I know there was an image like yesterday :/
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    [iWi] wrote: »
    Do You use at AIRBORN Your cell shader ?

not the one from the tutorial but yeah, the base is the same, we changed it quite a lot over time, added things, removed things, tweaked stuff, but the very base, the half lambert term is still the same ;)