PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max RTT Color Map Transfer

dustinbrown
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I have two models with very similar silhouettes, completely different topology, and different UV layouts. I want to bake/transfer the texture maps from the old model to the new one. I've got them lined up perfectly in Max, I've made a cage, and I'm attempting to use RTT to transfer the diffuse color map from the old model to the new one. For some reason, instead of it baking from the texture map, it's baking the material color for the material that's applied to the old model. If I make the material diffuse color purple, it bakes out purple, and ignores the map. It's got me flummoxed. The resources I've found online all appear to deal with either baking normals/ao/etc from a high poly, or using RTT to get rid of seams.

I'm using the scanline renderer, and I have self illumination cranked up to 100 on the source material.

dustinbrown
09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Nevermind I got it sorted out. Apparently it was additively blending the diffuse color over the texture map. I have no idea why. I made the diffuse color black and I was able to render the texture map perfectly. Weird!

Xenobond
09-09-2011, 08:47 AM
This is usually the culprit.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1352739/img/tuts/3ds_max_00.jpg

Mark Dygert
09-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Also if you don't turn off Antialiasing and Global Super Sampling, it will blur the results slightly.

If you turn them off the transfer will be a pixel for pixel match, instead of an blurred mess.

Render Setup (0) > Renderer Tab > AA and GSS.

dustinbrown
09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Cool, thanks for the tips guys! Changing Alpha Source to None (Opaque) works, and disabling AA and supersampling definitely makes a huge difference.