PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Merge Vertex Tool in Maya

lloyd
08-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Hey PC, do any other Maya users find when trying to get rid of a stray very on an edge. its too difficult?

I can't just delete it. so I go to use the "merge vertex tool" and it wont let me click and drag the vert.
It just does a drag select box over the vert, highlights it yellow and looks at me as if to say 'whut?'

I'm using maya 2012 with hotfix 4 on win7 x64

i just want rid of this vert

Brendan
08-26-2011, 05:49 AM
I had a few verts pull that a while back, find a bunch of them, and merge to center. If that doesn't work, grab the edge and extrude it, see what it was doing (is it all messed up?) then kill it with fire or delete it.

Jason Young
08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Vertex snap it and do a regular merge if you can't get it to work. I have that issue a lot, and usually clicking close to, but not on top of the vertex in question helps.

lloyd
08-26-2011, 07:53 PM
YES YES YES, thanks both of you.

JMYoung that's a great idea! I'm new to maya and that's a method which didn't cross my mind! :)

i'll have to write it out on a piece of paper 100 times to remember

malcolm
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah have that problem all the time, and yeah their merge vertex tool is shit, totally won't acknowledge it's a weldable vert sometimes. I find going into object mode and entering the vertex merge tool from there seems to work.

tyddynroger
08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
ive found maya 2012 to be very buggy, if anything causes me problems i usually save then reopen and it works, bit of a pain though.

dpaynter26
08-27-2011, 05:31 PM
if anything you just want to delete a vert that isnt really doing anything, go to vertex mode and marquee select all the verts for the entire mesh and hit the delete key, it will delete any unnecessary verts, that trick is my best friend sometimes

waffledoodle
08-29-2011, 08:44 AM
I could be wrong, but I assumed the random marquee thing was because there was more than one vert under the mouse cursor and maya is confused about which one you want to grab. I usually just rotate/zoom my view a little and the problem goes away.