PDA

View Full Version : How do I get terrain tile edge normals to match?

Heliocide
08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey,

This is my first post here. I'm truly inspired by all the fantastic work going on.

I'm creating a top scrolling shooting game for the iPhone which has square terrain tiles spawning infinitely.
When the tiles have their edges merged in Maya the normals are fine, but as soon as they're separated there's an obvious crease. The soften normals tool doesn't seem to work on border edges so I'm at a loss of what to do?

http://heliocide.co.uk/junk/seam_issue.jpg

SpeCter
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Make a highpoly which consists of 3 pieces and use a singe piece as lowpoly, that way it should come out correct

Heliocide
08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok thanks! but that's if I'm able to use normal maps correct?
I'm not so sure I will be able to on the iPhone. Is there a manual solution for the mesh itself?

equil
08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
There's an "average normal" function that works with separate normals. You could also combine them, soften normals, lock normals and then separate them. make sure to have your tile connected on both sides though.

Heliocide
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Fantastic! Thanks very much for speedy replies guys

fade1
08-24-2011, 11:56 PM
use the vertex normal edit tool in maya. just give the corresponding vertices similar settings and everything will be fine. you could also edit the settings with the set vertex normal tool. or last but not least go into the component editor and edit the values there.