PDA

View Full Version : Level Design. My First steps in UDK

oshima
03-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Hi guys, i want to show my first steps with udk engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwyYOOxTRqY

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6576/plastelinalevela.jpg

cholden
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
GEEZ! This level is HUGE! It took over a six minute video just for you to run through it. Do you ever plan to finish this or will it be a life-long project?

Others: Watch this vid, you'll be surprised how little is show in this screenshot

Stromberg90
03-22-2011, 07:20 PM
^^ Agreed.

Eh, I can't add a lot myself, but that is fucking huge, I can't even begging thinking of how you are going to do all that by yourself, my head would explode and is it stands I like my head.
Good choice of music in the video, really sucked me in.

And there is no option to just watch the screenshot, it's not at all representative for the level.

Looking forward to some updates :)

JasonLavoie
03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow!
WOOW!

What a fantastic sense of scale, I was prepared to turn off the video when I heard chris saying its a long video, but then I just started to get mesmerized, and wanted to know what is next, and it didn't disappoint.

Nothing much to crit, but I am really feeling the overall style as well, I have no idea what type of texturing you will be doing, but maybe take a look at ICO or Shadow of the Collosus... or maybe even take a look at the new PSN game Journey...

I'm really impressed, and I can't wait to see more!

Hugh
03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I see you are doing some inspiring things with landscape system. How did you do caves though is my only question.

http://elitespins.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/applause.gif

XenoKratios
03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
HAHAHAAH awesome!!!

fearian
03-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Daaaayyymmmmnnn!

Realistically speaking, this is insane for a one man job, and you are going to have to drastically cut down on quality or scale if you want to see this through to finish,

Unrealistically speaking... fuck what I just said, this is epic! I can tell you probably have a very clear picture of how you imagine alot of the big scenes to look when it's finished. I seriously wish you all the best with this, it's impressively ambitious!

JDinges
03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Very awesome. Looking forward to seeing more.

duoxan
03-22-2011, 07:50 PM
+1 for conan music. this thing is amazing and i hope you finish it. ill be cheering you on!

achillesian
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
CRUNK

uneditablepoly
03-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Really awesome layout and scale. As others have said, that is a ton for one person to do beyond the blockout but good luck to you with wherever you plan to take it! I love the feel of the environment.

jimmypopali
03-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow the scale of this is huge! And nicely done as well.

I couldn't help but think the stair cases and the rooms area are scaled a bit big? Seemed like everything before that was fine and after, but it seemed like it was a dwarf running around those stairs.

Is it just me?

lloyd
03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I love that UDK lighting. why go so big with your first time in UDK?

Tyler
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
O_O

That was amazing. You could totally imagine that as a kick-ass RPG or MMO environment!

Makkon
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I hardly ever gape my mouth open in amazment.
But I did during the throne room
This level is emotionally powerful, the vast scale and layout makes the spacing so perfect that it draws me in.

See this to the end, and you will have something that will make an impact on the game-art community for years. Set the standard.

[EDIT] And this really had a Shadow of the Colossus feel, I attribute that to the massive scale of everything. That is not an easy thing to do.

A-Train
03-22-2011, 11:40 PM
That just blew my mind. Make this into a game!!!! The music definitely makes you feel immersed in this world. Who made the musical score?! What 5 star chef do they have cooking back there man.

ErichWK
03-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Reminds me of something Team Ico would make...but god damn, good luck finishing this!

oshima
03-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi again guys,

Thanks to all for the comments.
This level is a middle-size map because i had many ideas in my head in the design process (maybe too much, :poly142:) , about the size of the rooms and the stairs you are right about scale, the map is sized in meters, i put 25 cms for single stair and the distance from the floor to the window is about 1 m., really i think that will be better reduce everything at 70-80 in UDK engine for better sensations, :poly142:.
This is only the design part, the second step in my process is detailed some elements with zbrush, next mapping, next texturing, next..., yep, is a crazy job, but now i have a few hours by day because i dont have a job, :poly122:.

beancube
03-23-2011, 12:50 AM
lovin the throne room! awesome scale !

mkandersson
03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Wow great looking blockout right now. Very epic and great choice of music in your video.
Great variation in your level as well. Im mind blown how big it is. You really have your work cut out for you :D

Though I know its still very early but you might want to add more blocked off side paths to your level. Right now it feels very linear so by adding more it will create a better sense of realism and that the world is bigger then what the player is going to see.

Really looking forward to see you finish this one!
Good luck!

Lennyagony
03-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Awesome, i hope you share your work process along the way? would love to see how you break this down and tackle some of the tech/time hurdles you may run into.

So far the construction looks clever, the mountains, caves, bridge, large castle wall and individual rooms should serve to stream in/out enough data to keep it looking fresh and running smooth :)

Hugh
03-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Hi again guys,

Thanks to all for the comments.
This level is a middle-size map because i had many ideas in my head in the design process (maybe too much, :poly142:) , about the size of the rooms and the stairs you are right about scale, the map is sized in meters, i put 25 cms for single stair and the distance from the floor to the window is about 1 m., really i think that will be better reduce everything at 70-80 in UDK engine for better sensations, :poly142:.
This is only the design part, the second step in my process is detailed some elements with zbrush, next mapping, next texturing, next..., yep, is a crazy job, but now i have a few hours by day because i dont have a job, :poly122:.

how did you do the caves?

SaferDan
03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Yeah this really is awesome! Like other people i thought i was going to get bored but i really didnt! It was awesome to see what was coming next and what else could possibly be around the corner! I also found myself just imagining what everything would look like once finshed.

Well done man I really hope you get this finished :)

crasong
03-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Dude, I cried when I watched this.

I would kismet and matinee the shit out of this thing. Like seriously.

oshima
03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
how did you do the caves?

In this design process everything is 3ds max 2011, i make some experiments while i model the meshes for make more easy the work, and finally i found a not too fast system but very usefull, the cave is a suimply box grid with many extrudes plus "relax" modifier.

Mr Bear
03-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Good stuff my man, loved the video. Make good use of modularity for the bridge and towers, and series of tiling textures for the cave and what not.

Looking forward to this beauty!

Kharn
03-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Wow, good luck with this, its going to take forever though ^^

Visceral
03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Ditto on the other posts. But its gonna require an entire team of artists to populate this thing with proper meshes. Good luck man! Totally subbing.

Alberto Rdrgz
03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
everything that i was gonna say has been said. but i'll another DAAAAAYYYYYYUUUUUMMMMM!!!

good luck!

Sean VanGorder
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
I think people underestimate how hard it is to nail down a great sense of scale, but you certainly got it right with this. Especially with the boss arena and the throne room. Awesome work man.

defco
03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
First of all you have my respects for using Basil Poledouris's music ( R.I.P maestro).

Great sense of scale indeed and nice lighting. My first attempt using unreal was getting a rock inside the engine with textures.... : /.

Good luck!

glottis8
03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
pretty epic... i wanna see what style this is gonna go with.

InMOP
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow man you have your work cut out for yo, this is pretty epic.

That throne room looks kick ass.
Where is the soundtrack from?

Good luck man i have a funny feeling that you might need it with this project

zakhar2
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
In this design process everything is 3ds max 2011, i make some experiments while i model the meshes for make more easy the work, and finally i found a not too fast system but very usefull, the cave is a suimply box grid with many extrudes plus "relax" modifier.

So wait, you didnt use udk's terrain tools?

letronrael
03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
how did you make the video? what software u used?

oshima
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
So wait, you didnt use udk's terrain tools?

I only use UDK for 2-3 weeks and only for scene creation, I dont have enough knowledge with UDK terrain yet, but i thinking about terrain later.

For everyone, this awesome music is from the Conan soundtack (Basil Poledouris) and the program to record the video is "Fraps"

oshima
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
A couple of fast props sketches (Zbrush)

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3310/propssketches.jpg

chrisradsby
03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Absolutely stunning work :D

Sean VanGorder
03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice sculpts man. Careful with the damage noise though, it looks a little odd on that bottom right prop.

What's the overarching theme supposed to be?

oshima
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Nice sculpts man. Careful with the damage noise though, it looks a little odd on that bottom right prop.

What's the overarching theme supposed to be?

No problem with the damage, really in Zbrush the mini-column is ok and the damage is not applied, the damage is only a proof with the surface effect and noise.
I still thinking about the theme, maybe a mix between God of War - Castlevania - Darksiders and the spanish heros "El Cid Campeador" and "Don Quijote", :poly142:

Cordell Felix
03-23-2011, 01:18 PM
The video was awesome man, the music really kept me watching it in the beginning.
Can't believe you made the level so damn big, but i loved it...it worked so well!
Keep trucking on this man, if you finish this...it WILL get you a job.

Cordell Felix
03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
also question, are the caves all one mesh? or did you somehow have them connect to each other modularly?

mcunha98
03-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Amazing work, really the level is very beaultiful.

oshima
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
also question, are the caves all one mesh? or did you somehow have them connect to each other modularly?

Everything is connect but i divide the mesh in parts for easy Load/unload when the map was finished, usually big zones are separated with small trunks of corridors or similars.

Jernej
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
omg. I can't bealive what my eyes saw in the video. You watch the video and think, well just another boring level. But then you see the magic of your work. Man this is great. Like the props too. Keep on the good work. Can't wait to see the final level.

Hugh
03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
lol you just came out of thin air and blowing our minds away with each post

Makkon
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
BTW, oshima, welcome to polycount! Sorry for the improper reception at the beginning.
Liking the sculpts so far, though the hooded figure isn't as strong a piece as the others. Still good work overall.

Cordell Felix
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Very cool, thanks for answering. those sections must have been on the scale then right?
I'd love to see a selected mesh portion of like the cave to the outer part of the level in max!

oshima
03-23-2011, 05:20 PM
BTW, oshima, welcome to polycount! Sorry for the improper reception at the beginning.
Liking the sculpts so far, though the hooded figure isn't as strong a piece as the others. Still good work overall.

Thanks Makkon, no problem, :)
About the hooded figure, you are right, really are fast sketches in a couple of hours playing with the brushes in zbrush, for example the lion it was a simple plane without any kind of base mesh :poly142:

Maph
03-24-2011, 05:46 AM
You've got balls man, undertaking all of that by yourself... Respect!
Push it through to the end, you'll be able to land a job for sure!

jimmypopali
03-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Looking good man, keep going and show progress!

roosterMAP
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
how was ur cave system made? is there a fast way to do it?

warby
03-24-2011, 08:15 AM
proceed ! ill keep an eye on this one !

atmosphere, architecture and sense of scale are great !

i hope you know what a massive under taking this will be ^^

one small suggestion do all the "gameplay" first and than the graphics ! unless its just a env art portfolio piece in that case cut this down to 2-3 rooms /areas !

Hugh
03-24-2011, 08:27 AM
how was ur cave system made? is there a fast way to do it?

he answered that on first page

Stertman
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
holy crap.. thats really awesome=) will be epic if you pull it of..

HeadClot
03-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Truly the work of a master.

EPIC!

NathanA
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
holy crap.. thats really awesome=) will be WORKING AT epic if you pull it of..

Fixed

Hazardous
03-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Dude so.... youve just made me want to be an environment artist.

I never thought I'd ever say that.

Fucking magnificent - if this is for the game your working on, I
cant wait for more!

Anuxinamoon
03-24-2011, 01:45 PM
This is amazing. You use of 3D space is really good. Just jaw dropping!

ZeroCartin
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Holy shit, its amazing! How did you divide the assets? Do you have like a lot of building blocks all set up and just put this together as legos? Im really looking forward for more updates! :D Keep up the amazing work!

chadabees
03-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Man that music was perfect for that. This is an extremely inspiring project that I am going to be watching the whole way for sure!

r_fletch_r
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Awesome stuff. cant wait to see more. is it just you working on this?

mats effect
03-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Reminds me shadow of the colossus. Very nice work.

oshima
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi again, and thanks to all for the comments.

About the cave system creation, i made a small tutorial, i understand that this isn't the better or fast way to make the caves, but those day i was bored and there was funny for me in that moment. :poly142:

This is only a simple tutorial to make caves in 3ds max with a different metod
Yes of course, is not very fast, but is another way for testing tools in 3ds max, and i was very happy while do it ( i dont know if this last sentence is correct in english, XD)

In this part of the process optimization is not necessary

About other questions i will try to make everything by myself (i hope,:poly142:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnWNvvsP3s

Zipfinator
03-24-2011, 05:43 PM
That's an interesting technique. Might try it out this weekend.

Mr Bear
03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Ohhh Interesting thanks very much, I'm gonna be working on my organic skills after graduation and this has opened up my eyes to a few cave techniques!

re.wind
03-24-2011, 07:20 PM
I like your caves.

jimmypopali
03-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Very simplistic approach, thanks for sharing!

Sorry, this might be obvious, but are you using the relaxed version in the map?

nordahl154
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Everything is connect but i divide the mesh in parts for easy Load/unload when the map was finished, usually big zones are separated with small trunks of corridors or similars.

How do you expect to create a texture without obvious seams? Mesh painting or something inside of UDK? I'm clueless, I feel compelled to ask. :)

Edit: Mind-blowing tutorial, thanks a lot! This project looks simply incredible. :thumbup:

XenoKratios
03-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the tutorial! It's like minecraft, lol, nice technique man.

oshima
03-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Very simplistic approach, thanks for sharing!
Sorry, this might be obvious, but are you using the relaxed version in the map?

Yep, i used a basic relax version, but i remember you, this is the design part, you can do everthing that you want, no limits, no optimizations, only put your ideas for the general space and gameplay (i tell you this because i have a little more ideas to improve when i start whith the final mesh, :poly142:)

How do you expect to create a texture without obvious seams? Mesh painting or something inside of UDK? I'm clueless, I feel compelled to ask.

Yes, that is the idea, really with the actual software like 3ds max and zbrush you can model many separates meshes without seams.

duck
03-25-2011, 01:33 AM
haha thats an awesome way to model! never seen anything do it like that before :)

XenoKratios
03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Wouldn't Soft Selection Speed things up though?

Kurry
03-25-2011, 02:48 AM
Very inspirational stuff! Can't wait to see where you are going with this.

jimmypopali
03-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Wouldn't Soft Selection Speed things up though?
I was thinking this, it's why i asked.

Hugh
03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
thnx for this tut cant wait to apply it in maya

meatle
03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
First view of the video and I had the audio off, even without textures it's very moody and got me sucked in. Nicely done.

Corey Miller
03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
I saw your tut on how to make the caves I liked the approach. What I was curouis about what how did you do your collision for the cave mesh did you slip into pieces or build a custom UCX?

Thanks,
Corey

Corey Miller
03-26-2011, 12:11 AM
I was wondering how you did the collision for these meshes. Caves I have never seem to have much luck with, did you split the mesh into different parts or what?

oshima
03-26-2011, 04:53 AM
I was wondering how you did the collision for these meshes. Caves I have never seem to have much luck with, did you split the mesh into different parts or what?

Really the better way to make the collisions are custom meshes, you have more control of every points in the mesh and you can limit the gameplay zones better to.

Corey Miller
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Would you mind showing me the collision model for the cave I'm currently trying to make a lot of caves and I could use some pointers with the collision do to its convex nature.
Thanks

oshima
03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Would you mind showing me the collision model for the cave I'm currently trying to make a lot of caves and I could use some pointers with the collision do to its convex nature.
Thanks

At this point i am only using the default UDK collision with whole mesh, i will start to work in collisions when i model the final mesh pieces.

Corey Miller
03-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Then I guess I just do not understand then, because when I do a cave I'll start with say a box like you showed and do things with soft selection and then knock out the entrance and exit sides. Doing it this way makes the UDK decide to totally enclose it with collision. So I guess the question is are you breaking the mesh up in a different way to prevent this or is there something I am missing? :)

BeserK
03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
That environment looks amazing! Great job, can't wait to see some normal maps slapped on there!
also... SUCH A GREAT TUTORIAL!
Thanks man!

apocalypse
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
I really love the shapes and architecture of the buildings and bridges. It makes the landscapes look important and built to last. Especially the thrown room. Are the designs your creations or did you build them from references?

achillesian
03-30-2011, 05:19 PM
cool video technique, makes me wonder how much cooler minecraft would be if you smoothed it.

Matroskin
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnWNvvsP3s

always good to see ppl share their tuts from time to time :)

Btw, there's also a tut for the cave on Hourence's site, maqybe it will be additional hint as well (just incase;) )

http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-cave-modeling/

Cordell Felix
05-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Where's your updates man! I was really excited for this one!

Hugh
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
hey how did you blend your cave meshes with the landscape. Also how did you create a collision mesh for it or did another method

Assassin0323
10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Really impressive work! I am also curious how you are generating your collision is it all simple collision or are you creating custom collision for everything?