PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Xendance
08-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Hi guys, i'm a bit of a UDK newbie at the moment and i'm stuck when it comes to LOD models.

How can i change the distance that a new LOD model will appear?
I need the new LOD model to kick in closer to the player.

I've searched what seems like everywhere and just can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks.

In the static mesh browser (as in double click the static mesh in content browser) and the LODMax Range setting. Then you can also change the LOD distance ratio.

Daft.Eng
08-06-2011, 04:42 AM
In the static mesh browser (as in double click the static mesh in content browser) and the LODMax Range setting. Then you can also change the LOD distance ratio.

Oh, wow, thank you so much :), the window on the right was only showing half of the content, so it just looked like a bunch of random numbers. Now i realise that they actually have have labels next to them.

Highelf
08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
When I bake my lighting in lightmass, disregarding quality level, I don't get cast shadows, but rather, a sort of AO-y shadow. Just really really blurred. No sharp shadows. They however, do pop up, when I wiggle the mesh a bit. Just any translation and suddenly the cast shadow of that mesh is there. I'm new to UDK so it's probably something stupid. What gives?

The resolutions on my static meshes are fine, I have seperate OK lightmass UVs on channel 2 and they are set to use those, and everywhere I can find shadows are turned on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Sorry if this is a known issue/has been mentioned before tons)

Oniram
08-08-2011, 07:42 AM
when you wiggle the mesh you are getting rid of your baked lighting, so its all dynamic. are your shadows projecting onto a BSP or a mesh?

Highelf
08-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought something along those lines was happening. They are projecting onto a mesh. (I can provide a screenshot if necessary)

Rapture117
08-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

I just got my new Gtx 460 today and was hoping to give a shot at the new July version of UDK. After the 1.5 gb install, I double-click on it, but nothing happens. The UDK splash image is shown, and says It also says "UnSetup has stopped working", then the splash image just freezes. I also tried the previous June version and had the same problem. Any solutions would be awesome. Thanks for your time guys. I have Win 7 64 bit and I had no problem running UDK on my old 9600GT. Hopefully someone here can help me, because I couldn't find any on the UDK Forums. Thanks again guys!

Nick

Oniram
08-10-2011, 05:23 AM
@Rapture: you may want to take something like that to the UDK forum.

@Highelf: yea, lets see a screen.

Highelf
08-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Just found the issue! My main ground mesh had a wrong lightmap UV channel selected and was apparantly rendering on vertecies. Took me forever to find something simple like that but at least I learnt about most of the render/light settings etc along the way :P

Rapture117
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
@Rapture: you may want to take something like that to the UDK forum.

@Highelf: yea, lets see a screen.

Believe me man, I created a thread on the forums which lasted 3 pages and no progress at all. I was hoping someone here may have or had the same problem, and can give me a solution. My last resort is to back up all of my stuff and completely restart my computer. Hopefully someone here can assist me. I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Oniram
08-10-2011, 12:22 PM
oh my bad. didnt read the end bit of your post. have you tried a different version with the new graphics card?

Lamont
08-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Did you connect the power adapters? Is the card getting proper voltage? Check the card settings for UDK? Also, did you un-install the drivers, then re-install?

kyle.rau
08-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Is it possible to "distort" translucent materials? I have a particle emitter that is basically heat distortion and if placed in front of a translucent material, everything else distorts accept that material :/ Do translucent materials not support distortion? :/

Froyok
08-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Is it possible to "distort" translucent materials? I have a particle emitter that is basically heat distortion and if placed in front of a translucent material, everything else distorts accept that material :/ Do translucent materials not support distortion? :/
Normaly it's supported, on my candle you can see the little deformation made by this type of material (opacity map + distortion) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTZa2C408dM

It's an old video, at this time I was no good with the UDK, so the material is quite simple (nothing complicated). I can't say you today what I have done exactly unfortunately.

kyle.rau
08-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Think I didn't word it properly heh...

I have a material + particle setup similar to what you have, basically emitting little planes with planning normal maps in the distortion channel. It is working fine, and everything behind the emitter when looking at it from the side appears to distort, just like yours ACCEPT when I have a mesh, lets say a glass ball (which is a translucent material), behind the emitter. The distortion doesn't affect the mesh, it literally looks like it is masked out. The rest of the environment behind and around the glass mesh distort, but the glass stays the same. Its like meshes with BLEND_Translucent materials on them can't be distorted by other materials between them and the camera.

Thanks for the quick reply btw :)

Perfect_Rolemodel
08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out why my secondary and so on in my lens flare slot in the lens flare editor causes my materials to appear in the foreground in front of my other meshes. My first "Source" materials are fine they show up right behind my meshes. Any idea on what I should do to fix a problem such as this?

Thanks.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/Perfect_Rolemodel/Art_Issues/UDK_Lens_Flare_Issue.jpg

edoublea
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM

I have a material + particle setup similar to what you have, basically emitting little planes with planning normal maps in the distortion channel. It is working fine, and everything behind the emitter when looking at it from the side appears to distort, just like yours ACCEPT when I have a mesh, lets say a glass ball (which is a translucent material), behind the emitter. The distortion doesn't affect the mesh, it literally looks like it is masked out. The rest of the environment behind and around the glass mesh distort, but the glass stays the same. Its like meshes with BLEND_Translucent materials on them can't be distorted by other materials between them and the camera.

Try toggling "Use One Layer Distortion" in the "Translucency" options of the particle material. I have successfully used that in the past to get water distortion to affect underwater particles that were translucent. It has some drawbacks, but I think it's the only easy way to achieve what you are looking for.

-eaa

BanishedFox
09-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to make a mesh fade in or out smoothly over a set period of time? I've tried using the visibility track in Matinee but it's just a hard 'show' or 'hide' and does transition in :( Can't get the track to appear in the curve editor either... Please help! xD

e-freak
09-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Use an Alpha Parameter in your Material :)

BanishedFox
09-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Use an Alpha Parameter in your Material :)

Of course :P lol thanks :D

You wouldn't happen to have a tutorial for this? I'm being an idiot and can't get it to work :(

ambershee
09-01-2011, 07:56 AM
You need to set the blend type of the material to something appropriate, then use a materialfloat thinggery track in matinee to modify it at run time. MaterialInstanceActors are usually a good idea to use and hold a reference to your appropriate materials.

BanishedFox
09-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys for the help, finally got it to work :D

RogelioD
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Hello Polycount members! My name is Rogelio Delgado and I am currently a student at Full Sail university for Videogame Art :) I am an aspiring environment artist and hope to get into the industry sometime very soon! Now that I've introduced myself, I have a question.

The other day I was surfing the web and came across a cool demo of a candle in UDK that has SSS applied to it. If anyone could direct me to that video of the candle flickering using the SSS material I would REALLY appreciate it! My girlfriend is building a candle this month for one of her classes and I wanted to show her what it could look like! (The video above is close, but not what I was looking at previously.)

If you'd like to check out some of my art, my portfolio site is HERE (http://rad-art.daportfolio.com)

Thanks everyone!

Oniram
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
not sure about a video but this may help.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialExamples.html#Sub-Surface%20Scattering (if the page loads on SSS and then moves away from it just go to the top and click SubSurface Scattering)

RogelioD
09-03-2011, 06:17 AM
Thank you so much Oniram!!! That's EXACTLY what it is that I saw/needed! Very much appreciated!

fearian
09-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Can someone figure out my low framerates in the editor? When I've built my lighting, it runs smooth as butter, but when lighting is unbuilt my framerate drops drastically. Annoyingly, it also does this if I save the map - and I have to build lighting to make the lag go away!

Froyok
09-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Can someone figure out my low framerates in the editor? When I've built my lighting, it runs smooth as butter, but when lighting is unbuilt my framerate drops drastically. Annoyingly, it also does this if I save the map - and I have to build lighting to make the lag go away!
Same problem for me. Unbuilt lighting is like full dynamic lighting, which is more heavy than static lightmap. I guess this is the problem.

Oniram
09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
thats why lighting needs to be built. :D

reiro
09-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Anyone knows how i can make a glowmap actually emit light?
I just used a RGB glow map and plugged it into the emissive slot. I then enabled the emit light under lightmass in the static mesh properties. No matter what values i put in there it doesnt emit any light. Any ideas?

Ace-Angel
09-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Higher then 1.

reiro
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Higher then 1.

You mean in the shader network a constant set to 1? Or on the emit settings of the static mesh?

m4dcow
09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
You mean in the shader network a constant set to 1? Or on the emit settings of the static mesh?
Multiply by a constant 1 with a value higher than 1.

reiro
09-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Multiply by a constant 1 with a value higher than 1.

Thats actually what i did :/
http://blindest.de/emissive2.jpg

I set it even way higher to see if that works. Also set the emissive boost high played with various settings, not sure what to change. It still won't emit any light. Have to manually place lights to fake the emissive light, which doesnt look too good :/

Ace-Angel
09-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't understand, the lights seem to be working and should be working, or do you want it to be dynamic?

If it's the latter, then no, you can't make emissive maps dyanamic and have them cast shadow and interact with the environment. You can bake their their falloff into the light maps.

However, if it's simply 'not' working, did you try apply the material to the mesh in the scene? The material editor sometimes acts funky and stops showing the 'correct' results, sometimes a quick restart of UDK helps and/or applying the material to the mesh in the scene.

Xendance
09-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Anyone knows how i can make a glowmap actually emit light?
I just used a RGB glow map and plugged it into the emissive slot. I then enabled the emit light under lightmass in the static mesh properties. No matter what values i put in there it doesnt emit any light. Any ideas?

Static meshes won't emit light if the triangle count is over 5000, maybe the problem is that? Also I've found that typing in an explicit influence radius is a lot easier than to multiply the emissive texture in material editor.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html#Mesh Area Lights from Emissive

reiro
09-11-2011, 07:43 AM
I don't understand, the lights seem to be working and should be working, or do you want it to be dynamic?

If it's the latter, then no, you can't make emissive maps dyanamic and have them cast shadow and interact with the environment. You can bake their their falloff into the light maps.

Sry if i wasnt too clear on it but yes that what i intended to do. I was afraid its not possible :)
Good to know it cant be dynamic, probably would ve tried for nothing then.

@Xendance As for the static emission my model has 5037tris so its just too high to work. Did not know about the limitiations. Might try to get it under 5000.

reiro
09-11-2011, 10:18 AM
After thinking its the tri count i assigned the material to a bsp mesh and set it to emissive. For some reason its not casting anything to the floor.

http://www.blindest.de/emissive3.jpg

Razgriz
09-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I need to figure out how to disable the LIGHTING NEEDS TO BE REBUILT ERROR, or at least remove it from showing up when I make a movie, in the august beta. I know it's possible for kismet errors, but I need to be able to render my movie without that ugly red warning appearing. Any help?

EDIT: Just tried running a kistmet console command to toggleallscreenmessages before the matinee plays, doesn't seem to work...

Further EDIT: The above works only in-game, but it turns out that in movie mode, while recording, you can still enter console commands. All better now!

Ace-Angel
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
@Reiro: Abit rusty since I last used UDK, but you need to bake your scene before seeing it projected on a mesh, it also helps if the BPS you're projecting on has a material on it.

If that doesn't work, just try a static mesh instead as both the applied mesh and projected mesh, and in the properties, there should be a setting (Emissive boost I think it's called?) which allows you to control how strong this should be.

edoublea
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
@Reiro:... Remember also that the lighting will only appear as baked into a lightmap... and in the last example pics you posted, it looks like your BSP lightmap resolution is set extremely low (32). It could be that it is illuminating the surface, but it's doing it really evenly (onto a low-rez map), so you aren't seeing any fine lighting details. Try it on a slightly more complex (static mesh) surface with a higher rez lightmap.

</ 2 cents>

Highelf
09-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Might be an odd question (or obvious answer), but does UDK create a lightmap per mesh or per texture/material sheet?

In other words, if I have say, 3 props on a texture sheet, can I have their second lightmap channel UV's overlap?

Thanks!

Oniram
09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
i believe its per texture/material sheet. i know that UDK generally complains when you have any lightmap UVs overlapping.

m4dcow
09-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Might be an odd question (or obvious answer), but does UDK create a lightmap per mesh or per texture/material sheet?

In other words, if I have say, 3 props on a texture sheet, can I have their second lightmap channel UV's overlap?

Thanks!

It is per mesh, just like you could have multi-sub material static meshes with tiling bits etc... You want to maximize the area used for that particular static mesh.

Highelf
09-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks alot! Makes sense - on the way here I realised it is pretty obvious since per-material lightmaps would be an issue if you ever copied a model, heh..

Daft.Eng
09-19-2011, 03:30 AM
hey guys, i'm having a little trouble with lighting lower LOD versions of models.

Is there a way to force a low LOD mesh to use the same light map as the higher LOD mesh?
This is because my highest LOD mesh has shadows cast on it due to its geometry, but the lower LOD mesh is a simple plane, meaning the shadows just pop in.

Also, is there a way to change the LOD max range on an X,Y basis, rather than an overall distance?
I'm modelling a building and the LOD distance in the Y direction can be can be lower than the X direction.

EDIT : Also, since adding lower LOD's to my meshes, UDK keeps freezing, anyone know if there's something i need to do to stop it?

z3phon
09-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm just getting in to UDK and I'm looking for resources to help me learn quick, I came across UDK 11 Day Level Design (http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/store/udk-11-day-level-design.php).

It seems to go through the entire process from concept to the end. Anyone gone though it, is it worth getting for someone new to UDK?

kyle.rau
09-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Don't spend the money now, go through the free stuff first. The UDK documentation has some links to a whole series by 3d buzz and they're great!

-kyle

z3phon
09-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks downloading them right now!

ambershee
09-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Personally, I tend to avoid the paid-for learning materials for UDK. They only ever seem to cover the same basics that can be easily found all-over the web for free.

Ace-Angel
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM
True at this point, the only two companies I would ever buy tutorials for if I want to learn an extra trick or two, would be 3DMotive and Eat3D.

kyle.rau
10-17-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm having some lightmass issues...

When I bake and look at the model from the side I get all these gnarly seams or something. I have literally tried everything. I was thinking it was the normal map maybe, so I just slapped a basic grey material on it. Any ideas? :/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7427381/forumstuff/udk_lightmass_Artifact.JPG

petrol
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Kyle - what do the lightmap UV's look like? Just wondering if there might be UV seams. From what I gather having UV shell edges forces hard edges (tri-stripping reasons I guess?). I'm new to UDK though, so sorry if I'm way off.

kyle.rau
10-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Was too tired to post last night but i fixed the issue. I'm not entirely sure what it was but I basically opened a new Maya file, imported my FBX, and exported it again from that new fresh maya file and imported a new copy in UDK and it worked....

I've been having some FBX issues with maya for a while so who knows what it could have been.

petrol: Yeah the lightmap was fine. There were no seams at these edges. I'm thinking my fbx file didn't carry over my normals correctly the first time or something. :/

Norron
10-20-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm getting a weird problem with the latest build. Occasionally when mousing around the 4-view viewport my mouse will freeze entirely. I can still use the mouse buttons, just no movement. No idea how it's fixed each time either, usually ends with me bashing keys randomly until it corrects itself.

Anyone had a similar problem? It's happened on multiple machines for me.

Daft.Eng
10-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi guys, i've been working on a scene in UDK for a while now and all of a sudden yesterday whenever i try to 'play' it, UDK says 'Failed to create entry point. Try another location, or you may have to rebuild your level'

This has come completely out of nowhere, as i've been able to pop in to my level up until now.

Oniram
10-21-2011, 07:52 AM
is your playerstart intersecting with any geometry? if so move it and rebuild paths.

Daft.Eng
10-22-2011, 04:16 AM
is your playerstart intersecting with any geometry? if so move it and rebuild paths.

I have no player start, i just right click and choose 'play from here'.

In fact, UDK won't even let me add a player start, i click add player start and nothing happens at all, which is odd, because i've added one on this map in the past...

Camikaze
10-23-2011, 11:10 PM
A quick way to check that it is adding it to the level is to open the content browser and check in the "Scene" tab. If the playerstart is in the list there it is somewhere in the level.

Daft.Eng
10-27-2011, 08:01 AM
A quick way to check that it is adding it to the level is to open the content browser and check in the "Scene" tab. If the playerstart is in the list there it is somewhere in the level.

Thank's, but i've just reverted to a backup, hopefully it won't happen again.

betoel2009
10-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi guys, I keep getting an error Warning message saying
"Skeletal mesh actor has NULL skeletalmeshcomponent property."
How do i fix this?

iansmithartist
10-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Does anyone know if there is there a way to apply a material to a multiple static meshes at once?

Its something I have come across repeatedly, I import a large number of static meshes that all need the same material but I have to open each static mesh individually with the static mesh editor and apply the material one at a time. Is there an easier/quicker way to do this?

Oniram
10-31-2011, 12:23 PM
you can do it within the scene. if you drag your meshes into the scene and then drag the materials onto them (or go into the properties and set the material) then it will apply to all, but that would be only for the scene, not within the content browser

gauss
10-31-2011, 05:10 PM
It is per mesh, just like you could have multi-sub material static meshes with tiling bits etc... You want to maximize the area used for that particular static mesh.

thank you for answering this question, i was curious about this as well. time to redo some UVs :)

Amr0
11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Hi, PC. Before building static lighting, the normal map looks great on the object. After building lighting, it's almost completely washed. I've set the lightmap resolution to be quite high for testing, and it didn't help.
Before building lighting:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/c2373.jpg
After:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/651c6.jpg

Especially notice how the area at the bottom which is only lit by the environment color is flat. What do?

gauss
11-16-2011, 03:17 PM
any advice on how to get decent looking results out of a fluid surface actor, preferably a larger one? i can't seem to make decent headway on one and i can't find much in the way of tutorials/walkthroughs on the subject that aren't the most basic set-up variety

sprunghunt
11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi, PC. Before building static lighting, the normal map looks great on the object. After building lighting, it's almost completely washed. I've set the lightmap resolution to be quite high for testing, and it didn't help.
<image>

After:
<image>

Especially notice how the area at the bottom which is only lit by the environment color is flat. What do?

Try using a dominant directional light as a key light instead of the point light you have.

Also you could try upping the lightmap resolution on your object.

Wordsworth
11-24-2011, 08:00 PM
In my level I (will) have a gramophone from which I want a series of songs to be playing, which are looped, spatialized and attenuated. Using a simple SoundCue/AmbientSound, I have it working perfectly. However, whenever the player passes beyond Radius Max (so that the volume reaches 0) and then reenters, the music will begin playing again from the beginning. Is there any way to keep it playing whilst it cannot be heard?

P.S Long time lurker, first time poster.

SirCalalot
11-28-2011, 04:55 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/c2373.jpg
After:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/651c6.jpg

Try going into your World Properties and under Lightmass change your 'IndirectNormalInfluence' from the default of 0.3 to about 0.8.
This should make the normals more prominent after a lighting build :)

any advice on how to get decent looking results out of a fluid surface actor, preferably a larger one? i can't seem to make decent headway on one and i can't find much in the way of tutorials/walkthroughs on the subject that aren't the most basic set-up variety
What appears to be the problem with your FluidSurfaceActor?
If it is looking a little bit too 'wobbly', you could try changing the 'FluidDamping' multiplier in the actor's settings to be a bit higher. You can have a play about with this yourself as the values range from 0-30.

This should soften the effect of large unrealistic waves over a large surface.

Hope that helps you both!

SirCalalot
11-28-2011, 05:57 AM

This is due to Translucent materials in UDK not being rendered in the depth buffer - ie. UDK doesn't know which pixels are closer to the camera.

To fix this in the Material, go to the Translucency options in the Material Editor and check both "Use lit Translucency Depth Pass" and "Use lit translucency Post Render Depth pass".
This should help to a certain extent.

You can also go into the properties of a specific StaticMesh in the scene (select + F4) and change it's translucency sorting order. This works best for background objects best - such as giving an underwater scene's ocean surface a Sorting Priority of '-1' as it is always going to be at the back of a picture.

I know you posted this back in August and probably have fixed it yourself by now, but I thought I better post an answer anyway to help others hitting the same problem :)

littleclaude
11-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Animation

Can someone give me a break down or know of any tutorials for how rigged animation exports from maya 2012 to UDK.

I take it we use FBX now? as Active X has been scrapped?

Cheers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw this on a 3DSmax thread but I think it will work for Maya, I will give it a try and be back to tell you how I got on.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91585&highlight=animation+fbx

Vailias (http://www.polycount.com/forum/member.php?u=13769) on Yesterday 02:06 AM

First: Export your main weighted mesh as an FBX, without animation.
Import this as your skeletal mesh. (make sure animations are not checked on this export)

Next: export your animations to Fbx files. I believe one file per sequence, as there is no internal sequence delimiting or import options that I have found.
Make sure frame 0 of every imported sequence is the same as your bind pose.

Also make sure to have animations checked in the export settings.

Open the skeletal mesh/animation viewer in UDK. Go to file->import sequence or whatever is close to that idea.
Then select your FBX files that are anims only.
They'll import with sequence names set to the file name.

misunderstood that you weren't doing skeletal animation:

For non skeletal animation you can bring it in as a morph target I believe. I highly highly recommend either making a simple skeleton to do the ambient animation you want on, as it is much less CPU intensive than vertex animation. Either that, or bring in your animating bits as separate static meshes and animate the rotation via matinee.

odd_enough
11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
It should be noted that Epic has updated the FBX Skeletal Animation page on the UDN with the November build with a more detailed explanation of the process (with pictures!).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXSkeletalMeshPipeline.html

littleclaude
11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
It should be noted that Epic has updated the FBX Skeletal Animation page on the UDN with the November build with a more detailed explanation of the process (with pictures!).

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXSkeletalMeshPipeline.html

U R A *, thank you, I was just falling a sleep on my keyboard but this news has spurred me on.:)

littleclaude
12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
What's happened to the weapons in udk?

I opened an old map to show someone how to attach a light to a weapon but the weapons have gone?

Ammo pick ups and my AI bots have also gone from the level?

What is going on?

SirCalalot
12-02-2011, 03:18 AM
In newer versions of UDK, they have added another, more basic game-type as the default.
Change the Game Type to UT_Deathmatch (or something similar) in the 'World Properties'.

littleclaude
12-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Ah yes so it is, thank you, I need to get my UDK head back on.

Creating your own weapons is quite a large task? why have they made it so hard to edit? Here is a tutorial for anyone interested -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdD_LEKNuDs&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vW_qL6aU2bA)

To me it would make more sense for this awesome editor to have some everyday weapons, pistol, AK47 and so on rather then just Sci Fi weapons, I know its a legacy problem from the Unreal days but I was hoping they may have made it easier for modification teams by now.:poly121: nudge nudge wink wink if any one is out there.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

http://www.3dhit.co.uk/uploads/post-1312-1323350375.jpg

Rico
12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey guys do you know if there is a way to make the camera look straight up at 90 degrees when in the editor preview?

Like when you go Play From Here and get to run around in your level?

Currently the most I can look up is at like 60-70 degrees

gannonroader
12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm doing a tutorial right now that shows a "switch param" node, with an A and B input. My shader is now hinging on this one node because mine says "true" or "false" and seems to be giving me a different result than the tutorial. Has the node changed in recent builds?

Is TRUE and FALSE the same thing as A and B???

Oniram
12-23-2011, 05:48 PM
yeah its pretty much the same thing. there is a default value tick inside the parameter itself, which is probably whats causing you to get different results.

gannonroader
12-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Ok, I have the shader completely finished and exactly like the example, but i'm getting a couple of errors that I don't quite know what to make of.

[Node WorldNormal] Invalid node WorldNormal used in pixel shader input!
[Node DepthBiasedAlpha] Invalid node used in vertex/hull/domain shader input!

I'm 99% sure they are hooked up right, and the values are all correct and stuff. I just don't know what is causing these errors. Any ideas?

Oniram
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
can we see the material?

gannonroader
12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
sure, I'll post a pic in a min of my node network. The material is not actually visible yet because of these errors. Give me 5 mins.

gannonroader
12-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Here is the area of my network that's effected

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/gannonroader/?action=view¤t=myErrors.jpg (http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/gannonroader/?action=view&current=myErrors.jpg)

and here is the one i'm using as a reference. i've been calling it a tutorial, but the guy just posted his shader as a educational resource, and not as an actual tutorial.

I should not that the effected areas are in the comment boxes "Distortion/Normal" and "Displacement"
here is his shader network

http://dirty-windows.de//ocean_mattree/ocean_mattree.jpg

(http://dirty-windows.de//ocean_mattree/ocean_mattree.jpg)

Hellfire
12-24-2011, 03:12 PM
hi gannonroader,

thx for report this error i fix it tomorrow :)

Area #1
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5960/doitg.jpg

Area #2
thats works only R constant or RG texture

gannonroader
12-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Thank you hellfire, will it be updated on your blog?

I don't see any changes in area #1, and don't quite understand what you mean for area #2.

Bart
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I am looking for some info how to create an simple Aircraft warning light such as this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Emley_Moor_Tower_by_night.jpg/250px-Emley_Moor_Tower_by_night.jpg

Would it be with UDK lights or does it need a unique texture with an alpha and a special material setup ? Would apprecieate any info on that :)

Xendance
01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I am looking for some info how to create an simple Aircraft warning light such as this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Emley_Moor_Tower_by_night.jpg/250px-Emley_Moor_Tower_by_night.jpg

Would it be with UDK lights or does it need a unique texture with an alpha and a special material setup ? Would apprecieate any info on that :)

You could probably just use some lens flare actors alongside with point lights.

Bart
01-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Cheers. Lens flare actor worked just fine :)

cptSwing
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Alright, I've got some problems with Unreal Ed 3 (unreal engine 2.5).

1) I've got some specular maps that want to use. The issue is that they always come out too bright. As a matter of fact, the textures themselves seem to be brighter in the editor.

Google sent me back here.. anybody know why my specular texture is automatically brightened when i drag it into the material editor? I can mutiply it back to a darker state, but it doesn't make sense. This is a greyscale specular, haven't noticed this happening on color specular maps.

Oh and while i'm in here, i'm considering using the blue channel of my normal map for something else - what would the best way to go about this in your opinion?

i'm a little short on time right now, so i haven't done much testing, i've tried experimenting with multiplier and add nodes to pipe a constant value back into what i want to plug into the normal node, and simulate a blue channel.. but of course that makes little sense and didn't work.

Ryswick
01-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Anyone know where I can get some good reading material on Unrealscript?

Rekmar
01-17-2012, 01:18 AM
[Node WorldNormal] Invalid node WorldNormal used in pixel shader input!

means the WorldNormal node can only be used for vertex shader operations, not for pixel shader operation. It's only really usable in the WorldPositionOffset material input.

kyle.rau
01-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Google sent me back here.. anybody know why my specular texture is automatically brightened when i drag it into the material editor? I can mutiply it back to a darker state, but it doesn't make sense. This is a greyscale specular, haven't noticed this happening on color specular maps.

Oh and while i'm in here, i'm considering using the blue channel of my normal map for something else - what would the best way to go about this in your opinion?

i'm a little short on time right now, so i haven't done much testing, i've tried experimenting with multiplier and add nodes to pipe a constant value back into what i want to plug into the normal node, and simulate a blue channel.. but of course that makes little sense and didn't work.

have you tried checking/unchecking the gamma correction setting? (the sRGB thingy) as for the normal map, i use the blue channel for AO sometimes because multiplying your AO in unreal versus doing it in photoshop can give better outcomes often and you can control how strong it is on the fly.

Ryswick (http://www.polycount.com/forum/member.php?u=35939): eat3d has a spiffy dvd on unreal script if i remember. their stuff is always work looking into! :D

cptSwing
01-17-2012, 01:37 AM
i believe i have, will go back and double check though. for now i just changed it to TC_greyscale and use just the one channel, seems to work.

in order to use your normal's blue channel, you extract R,G with a mask, and plug the result into a deriveNormalZ, correct? if i prepare a normal map and paste my specular into its blue channel, using it by directly plugging it into the specular node looks pretty whacked out. maybe you have some hints for a correct shader setup?

thanks for the reply!

EDIT: i think it's actually the result of the derive normal node which causes black spots at some areas with high frequency detail. is this just a consequence of the not-so-perfect rebuild of the blue channel, or am i missing something in between (have yet to try different nodes, there's one called normalize if i am not mistaken?)

kyle.rau
01-17-2012, 01:52 AM
yup. make sure you don't forget the append node between the normal and the deriveNormalZ. plug the red and green into append, and then string that over through deriveNormalZ and it should work. if it is still looking weird, you might have to mess with the compression settings. try the uncompressed normal one and see if that works. i ran across a thread a while ago with something similar (i was trying to find it for you) but they imported as "default" for the normal map that was packing a specular in the blue channel. hope that helps.

Ace-Angel
01-17-2012, 05:34 AM
I suggest avoiding anything other then NormalMap_Uncompressed settings, seriously, unless you have a perfectly synched baker for UDK, almost every other settings makes it look like garbage.

You could also try forcing UDK to run in DX10 mode if you have nVidia, and use the BC5 setting for the Normal Map.

cptSwing
01-17-2012, 07:10 AM
^ that wouldn't make much sense in this case, since then i'd have no free blue channel to use.

kyle.rau: thanks again. i've done a little experimenting and basically i've come to the conclusion that the freed up channel isn't usable for anything more than simple masks. the greyscale spec map i tried using in B gets raped so badly, it's looks like a 1 bit map and kills my material (sRGB screws up the normal map channels, not an option either). DeriveNormalZ also seems to throw out additional shading errors, so i'm not really sure this whole method is worth it, unless they're really unimportant assets, or texture space is REALLY tight.

The B channel compression result of my specular map is a little worrying, since i don't see how it'd be different with regular mixed-maps?

cheers again for the replies, guys.

ArYeS
01-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Is there any way to scatter static object over other static objects?

Example: I have grass mesh, and terrain mesh (as static mash - for a reason, not udk terrain). Can I scatter grass over it? What about randomizing between 3 different mesh types.

Thanks!

Oniram
01-17-2012, 10:52 AM
theres a tool specifically for that. foliage mode allows you to paint randomly placed/rotated meshes all over a mesh or bsp. there is also the predecessor to that tool, static mesh mode.

Foliage
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Foliage.html

Static Mesh Mode
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/StaticMeshMode.html

Ace-Angel
01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
My question is, why do you need the blue channel or Alpha channel? It makes sense for game optimization, but I'm assuming for now you're doing portfolio work, in which case no one will care about such stuff.

Have your tried the different settings for your Normal Map? I can assure, even a 4K Normal Map looks like utter rubbish in UDK if the baker is not synched in the first place, sometimes with seams warping all over the place and strange tones between UV islands, and as I said, if you have DX10 GPU, force UDK to run in DX10 mode, and use the BC5 setting, that might work in your favor.

Also, UDK compresses channels of all kinds of texture big-time, so no surprise your Spec Map is looking harsh, if you want your texture to appear full quality, change their setting to VectorDisplacment, this make your packages huge in size, but so far this is only compression setting I found which equals to a deferred compression.

cptSwing
01-17-2012, 10:46 PM
well, i ended up going all out with the normal map and packing gloss, alpha and spec into a third map (specular into green channel). it's not portfolio work, so there's that ;-)

thanks for the reply though, i'll come back to it once i have time for my portfolio :thumbup:

A_HERRERA
01-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Mi my name is Alberto Herrera and this is my Mayan Environment created in UDK if u guys have any feedback or something i will be glad to hear.
by the way, the water shader is not mine. the link is in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GNoCIgeua0
http://albertoherrera3d.com/

littleclaude
01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Hello

How are you getting on with Scaleform? I have a research demo to rough out by Easter and wonder where the best place is to start?

I have been going through this but its a bit up hill so far - http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/743567-Getting-Started-with-Scaleform-amp-UDK

And this has also helped - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC3B71EE95DADAADC&feature=plcp

Any tips on camera control or if you see any please post them, ie click a button and camera and matinee will kick off then go back to start and repeat. I think this is going to be straight forward? but I am sure there are some pitfulls, I will post up what I have made nearer Easter but any tips will be much appreciated.

Has anyone made any demos/templates I can get my hands on like this? I would love to just jump in a rip one apart.

Autodesk Scaleform Menu Kit - YouTube

kyle.rau
01-31-2012, 01:36 AM
Ran into a really weird bug I think :( ??

Can't import speed trees compiled with the "include wind" option off. It crashes when trying to import it. I've done this successfully in previous versions so I'm not sure whats up. I found someone that posted 2 years ago about the same thing and didn't seem to find a solution. Even if I do the work around of setting the wind height to like 20000, and there is no wind in the speedtree modeler, it still waves a little in UDK when I import with "include wind".

Any ideas guys? For this specific case I REALLLLY can't have any moving trees :P

gannonroader
01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I think you can turn it back on in the udk under properties as a ticker box if i'm not mistaken????

Xendance
02-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Ran into a really weird bug I think :( ??

Can't import speed trees compiled with the "include wind" option off. It crashes when trying to import it. I've done this successfully in previous versions so I'm not sure whats up. I found someone that posted 2 years ago about the same thing and didn't seem to find a solution. Even if I do the work around of setting the wind height to like 20000, and there is no wind in the speedtree modeler, it still waves a little in UDK when I import with "include wind".

Any ideas guys? For this specific case I REALLLLY can't have any moving trees :P

Modify the wind in the modeler so that the strength is 0?

kyle.rau
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Modify the wind in the modeler so that the strength is 0?

yeah I tried and the tree keeps moving! :poly122: apparently you can't just have zero wind, even in UDK.

For anyone else who has this issue I did sort of a work around:

At first I tried the trick where you set the height to some large number so the wind is way above the tree but there was still a couple branches moving around for some reason in UDK. I had to open a new speedtree file, turn on wind and go into the properties, and export the wind properties (button at the top ish). These were the default wind. Then I imported those properties into my speedtree and ONLY set the height properties to something like 20,000 and didn't touch any other options. It seemed when I was turning down all the other wind properties it wasn't working as well. So just set the height option and that's it. Then export the tree in the compiler with wind checked and the tree shouldn't move in UDK.

gannonroader
02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Im having a problem with a vehicle I imported. The W and S keys are swapped, so W is reverse, and S is forward. Any idea where I fix this? I assume something was on the wrong axis or something on import. is there an easy fix for this?

Please say yes.

gannonroader
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
ughhhhhhh, I just rotated the vehicle 180 degrees, and reskinned it, but it makes absolutely no difference. The thing still has forward and reverse mixed up. I have a feeling i'm making an extremely stupid mistake.

m4dcow
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have been trying to use material functions in UDK for a snippet of vertex blending. Basically i'm lerping 2 textures based off of a vertex color, and a tiling clouds texture (I have 3 pattern textures packed into 1 map).

I decided to throw everything into a material function, because I just wanted to create an alpha, I passed the vertex color and clouds texture as a scalar.

At first glance, everything works fine, but if I try to any channel besides the red channel as an input, it doesn't change ie: it just keeps using the red channel no matter what.

So then I tried making the inputs vector3s and passing the single channels in but it just passes all the channels in.

I can mask out the other channels before going into the function, but that sort of defeats the puporse of me using the material function.

Has anyone dealt with this or knows if there is some special way I'm supposed to handle these inputs?

Here is an image showing my shader setup.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1720/shaderq.png

A_HERRERA
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
HI GUYS I HAVE A RED PROBLEM HERE, I DONT HAVE ANY RED LIGHT BUT THIS ONE IS WEIRD, I BELIVE ITS AN ERROR, BUT ANY IDEAS HOW TO FIX IT ? IT WAS BUILD ON PRODUCTION CUALITY

http://albertoherrera3d.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/rederror.jpg

http://albertoherrera3d.com/

Ace-Angel
02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Light Bounce set too high? More then 512/15 instruction/texture for a material? A negative light?

Try baking again at Low and see if it changes anything.

Vailias
02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
m4dcow: I ran into this too. some odd thing about how the data is passed back and forth.

Use a component mask to select the channel rather than just dragging from the channel on the sampler. Seems backward but it works.

m4dcow
02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
m4dcow: I ran into this too. some odd thing about how the data is passed back and forth.

Use a component mask to select the channel rather than just dragging from the channel on the sampler. Seems backward but it works.

Thanks, I did end up using the component mask. I had to use the function a bunch of times in the same shader so it was an acceptable compromise.

mutatedjellyfish
02-21-2012, 12:24 AM
So I plan on using 1 static mesh of a decorative cinderblock to build a small wall, and I would like to set up a tileable shader so that each instance of the static mesh either maps to a different part of the texture (aka offset uvs) or make it so the texture alignment shifts based on world position or something.

Basically, I don't want each block to be mapped to the same part of the tileable texture, creating repetition. I want the texture to align differently on each block.

I'm by far not an expert at the UDK, but I know my way around a bit. Any ideas? Thanks!

kyle.rau
02-21-2012, 12:40 AM
jellyfish:

This is exactly what you're looking for! (http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html)

Unless I read that completely wrong then I'm going to go hide...

mutatedjellyfish
02-21-2012, 06:38 AM
jellyfish:

This is exactly what you're looking for! (http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html)

Unless I read that completely wrong then I'm going to go hide...

This, indeed, looks to be pretty danged close to exactly what I'm looking for. I will try this tonight! Thanks a ton!

SirCalalot
02-23-2012, 05:13 AM
I thought of that exact tutorial too :D
Chris Albeluhn is pretty invaluable to people starting with UDK.

Vitrux
02-24-2012, 01:20 PM
-hello guys , some great work here using the udk .

I want to learn about it, but i am very lost where to begin to understand udk

engine. Could any of you give me some directions where to begin learning udk?

tutorials, books, anything for beginner .

thanks for help :poly002:

Xendance
02-25-2012, 03:01 AM
-hello guys , some great work here using the udk .

I want to learn about it, but i am very lost where to begin to understand udk

engine. Could any of you give me some directions where to begin learning udk?

tutorials, books, anything for beginner .

thanks for help :poly002:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome.html

Tekoppar
02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I got this error when trying to build all "Terrain is currently unsupported on mobile platforms". I tried googling the error and came up with nothing at all. I visited the UDK community forum but apparently I can't search, read a couple of pages and found nothing. How do I fix this error? I just want to build a scene inside a game engine, not publish anything on a mobile platform.

Vitrux
02-25-2012, 11:46 AM
-thanks for the link Xendance very useful information......:)

Grimm_Wrecking
02-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Is it more efficient for the engine to have:

12 Static Meshes with moved uvs and a single material

or

1 Static mesh with 1 material and 11 material instances where the only function that changes is offsetting the uvs?

WarrenM
02-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Grimm:

The instances will be better as a whole, IMO, since you'll only have 1 static mesh loaded into memory. The first way will require 3 or 4 unique static meshes to accommodate all of the UV sets.

In both cases, you're looking at 12 draw calls so no savings there.

SirCalalot
03-01-2012, 07:43 AM
I got this error when trying to build all "Terrain is currently unsupported on mobile platforms". I tried googling the error and came up with nothing at all. I visited the UDK community forum but apparently I can't search, read a couple of pages and found nothing. How do I fix this error? I just want to build a scene inside a game engine, not publish anything on a mobile platform.
That's not so much an error as it is a friendly warning by UDK :)
Just ignore anything that has a yellow exclamation mark next to it and worry about the errors with a red cross.

couto607
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
How can I play my level in 3rd person view within UDK? Is that even possible anymore? Seems as though the 'behindview' console command doesn't work.

Rurouni Strife
03-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Quick question for the masters. I have a very strange bloom problem going on where the red arrow is pointing. If I turn bloom scale to 0, it goes away. Also, if I choose run from here in the view port it's gone. If I use the console command setres 1920x1080w (or any other rez higher than 720p) it returns. Super confused as to why this is happening. Any ideas?
http://rose3d.com/odd_bloom.jpg

Xendance
03-04-2012, 11:47 AM
It's a bug in editor viewport I believe, just ignore it.

Rurouni Strife
03-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I'll try a newer version of UDK to see if it's still there.

Rurouni Strife
03-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Just tried the February UDK. That bloom bar went from one side to both sides and the top of the screen. Also happens in game now. Quite confused, looking for an explanation. Must be a setting of mine...

Wanted to throw in an edit: If anyone gets this error, you can remedy it for screen shots via tearing off a copy. It also goes away if you enable DX 11, but if you have been lighting in DX 9 be prepared for some changes.

SirCalalot
03-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Cheers @Rurouni!
That's actually very helpful :)

couto607
03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm getting a pretty big issue here that I would like some help with. This just randomly happened after I saved my map

http://i.imgur.com/lYLcK.jpg

Recaching the terrain material doesn't seem to do anything at all.

EDIT: Nvm, Seems as though one of my Normal map nodes broke on one of the layer textures. Had a little panic attack there.

ambershee
03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
That usually occurs when you're using too many textures.

Ketchup
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey, I'm new to Polycount and new to the unreal development kit.

I'm making my first scene for a project and I'm struggling to find a way to place text down at certain points in my level, like subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

Am i looking in the wrong places or can it not be done?

Rurouni Strife
03-05-2012, 12:01 PM
@Ketchup-Check on UDK.com's documentation about Scaleform. I think that's the UI system in UDK now and that's how I would assume you do it? If I'm understanding you correctly.

Ketchup
03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll give it a look, thanks very much.

Ketchup
03-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Another quick question if anyone an help me out.

Anyone know the best way to trigger the map ending? I've done most of what I need to do and I need to place a trigger to make the map end when i reach a certain point. I'm presuming a trigger is the way to go but I'm not 100%

mutatedjellyfish
03-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on if it's possible to make a blend material that blends based on screen space occlusion (cracks and intersections) and NOT on a greyscale blend map? I'm working on a bronze/copper shader and I want to be able to adjust the oxidization and patina on (which would be heaviest in the cracks and corners) but I want to be able to use the shader on multiple objects, so using static mesh-specific maps is a no go.

Edit: Nevermind, after talking to someone, I think I'm going to go with just vertex paint blending it in.

mutatedjellyfish
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok, new issue. I'm using mesh paint to blend textures in a material, but as long as I have a cubemap plugged in the textures don't blend at all. As soon as I disconnect the cubemap, the blend comes back. I've searched and only found one instance in a forum where the question was asked, but any variation of what was said there that I've tried doesn't have any effect. Any ideas?

Ace-Angel
03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Enable Per-Pixel in the Material, and make sure you have a Reflection vector plonked in the Transform node.

If you want to use the Custom Reflection Node because you need a Normal Map, you have to add a null Reflection Vector somewhere so that vertex works.

haiddasalami
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Anyone have any luck with decals in DX11? As soon as I add a decal in, lighting breaks and all my meshes turn translucent :/

EDIT: And now it works. :poly141:

mutatedjellyfish
03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Enable Per-Pixel in the Material, and make sure you have a Reflection vector plonked in the Transform node.

If you want to use the Custom Reflection Node because you need a Normal Map, you have to add a null Reflection Vector somewhere so that vertex works.

Thanks, the per-pixel setting did the trick. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the normal map. If you have a second and can expound, I'd be interested to know, otherwise, thanks!

haiddasalami
03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
So been working in DX9 and came home today to open my environment in DX11 and its just all black. No lighting and the meshes dont show up in unlit mode though I can see them in wireframe mode o.o Any ideas?

EDIT: Was my world post process settings apparently having a material effect after the ao pass was screwing it up.

Pampers
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Hello all, been trying to implement this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingSkeletalControllers.html#SkelControlFootPlace ment
it works fine in the animTree preview, but in-game it only works on static meshes without any collision model assigned to them. Any idea on how to make it work on things like landscape and static meshes with collision?

Denny
04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
It might be this line of code from their example;

if (LeftFootHitActor.bWorldGeometry || LeftFootHitActor.IsA('InterpActor'))

It might be that bWorldGeometry only returns per-poly collision and not collision models. I'm not an Unreal Script guy but it is a possibility.

Pampers
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I checked out their code example now, before I was only using skelControls. Anyway, now my mesh is halfway stuck in the ground from the waist and down. Will do some more testing :)

Edit: I removed all relevant code and just kept the skelControllers in the animtree, I also moved the mesh down to make sure it intersects with the ground and that there is no gap between the collision radius and the mesh. Now it works pretty good :)

Daft.Eng
05-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Posted this in my thread too, but might aswell post it here, as I have more chance of getting a response here.

Basically, my light maps have gone all screwy, in the editor they are fine, whereas in game some revert to vertex lighting...

In Editor
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2990/95232374.png
Light maps all working fine, everything looking OK.

In Game
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2830/notok.png
Some light maps are just not working at all, though strangely some are still working (wall, lights, window)

SirCalalot
05-14-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm sure you've already checked this, but is Lightmass enabled in the World Properties?
And what is the lightmap resolution in your individual mesh properties?

A value of "0" sets the object to a vertex-based solution.

Daft.Eng
05-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the reply, all objects have a value and lightmass is enabled, as it is working on some objects.
As it turns out, I need to go back to 3DS max anyway and piece some objects together to allow for easier construction in UDK anyway, so I'm going back and making new light map UV's anyway now and they seem to work fine now.

SirCalalot
05-15-2012, 02:03 AM
I was going to mention the Lightmap UVs next actually, perhaps the objects' UVs just didn't have enough padding?

mutatedjellyfish
05-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Any thoughts from anyone on how to go about setting up a good-looking overcast lighting situation?

SirCalalot
05-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Now there is a tricky lighting set-up.

A good start would be to lower your "DominantDirectionalLight" intensity and increasing the scene "DiffuseBoost" and "NumIndirectLightingBounces" values.

This should wash out the sharpness of shadows and make more uniform lighting like an overcast day.

The colour of your shadows (EnvironmentColor) should also be the overall colour of your sky - so most probably a grey-blue variant.

Bagstor
06-07-2012, 05:32 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/6dzhax.jpg
How do this texture small?(tiling)
UP:
oh. i find it=)

SirCalalot
06-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Brilliant.

Daft.Eng
06-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Having a problem with the lighting on my door.
It's set up so it opens when the player walks up to it, which all works fine, however once the door returns to its closed position, both sides of the door end up being lit completely wrong, I've tried vertex lighting and light maps, but the problem still persists.

Before Opening
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4302/beforep.png

After Opening
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6806/afterq.png

JamesWild
06-11-2012, 06:16 AM
Is the door an InterpActor/Mover? I'd imagine it uses Lightmass-baked light until the first time it moves, when it becomes dynamically lit and begins reading lighting data from the tags in the world:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/Lightmass/02CharacterLighting.jpg
I'd imagine it only generates these where a character could go, not in the wall where the door ends up.

You might be able to force it to not use dynamic lighting, ever, via the properties menu of the interpactor itself.

Daft.Eng
06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, wow, thank you so much, brilliant!
It totally fixed it.
I can't even believe I didn't think of that. :)

David-J
06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
I've been searching and I couldn't find a clear pros and cons of using landscape vs using terrain in UDK. Besides the blending mode what would be the benefits of using one vs another?

Minato
06-23-2012, 06:44 AM
For one,the Landscape system uses a very optimized and advanced LOD system,which allows creation of huge terrains compared to the classic model,there's also a separate channel used for storing detail normals that will not be scaled down along with the LOD at far away distances which in turn results in highly detailed terrains,or should i say landscapes...those are two main things as far as i can remember...

Skillmister
06-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Anyone know why meshes placed using the foliage tool arent showing correct vertex colours? Even though in the preview within the tool they appear just fine...
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25976783/grassvertpaint.JPG

David-J
06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
thanks Minato. I will give landscapes a try.

littleclaude
06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Is there a way to take a high resolution screen grabs of your nodes inside Kismet.

The reason I ask is that I'm a Lecturer and I would like to screen grab during my lecturers (from my work and my students) at high resolution and then draw over nodes to explain what is going on.

I have attached an image so you can see what I am talking about.

http://s14.postimage.org/dul41pfv5/UDK_Tree_Node.jpg

Grimmstrom
06-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Is there a way to take a high resolution screen grabs of your nodes inside Kismet.

I'd love to know this as well, in the past I've always just zoomed in close and took lots of individual images and then stitched them together in Photoshop

Ace-Angel
06-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I'd love to know this as well, in the past I've always just zoomed in close and took lots of individual images and then stitched them together in Photoshop

That's pretty much the standard way to do it, or you could screen record it, and then proceed to put it up as a pan picture.

Although natively, there is no such thing for UDK, so yeah, still need kludge work here.

Rico
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Anyone know if Blend_Masked is not working in UDK anymore?

Made a tree and can't for the life of me figure out how to cast the shadows of the leafs onto the floor.

Tried Blend_Translucent and it seems to actually cast the shadow but it makes my leafs transparent.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me. Been scratching my head at this for a few hours now.

Ace-Angel
07-08-2012, 12:39 AM
It's working for me, did you make sure to have an Alpha/Constant in your Opacity/Mask slots?

Also, for the Trans, what do you mean 'Transparent'? Trans can be modified, did you check under the Trans Tab for the material?

Rico
07-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Well, I was on the May build and couldn't get it working. I even used UDK's chain link Mesh because it has an alpha and that also didn't cast shadows once the lighting was baked. I didn't do anything to it.

I downloaded on older version, the March build and it seems to be working fine. The chain mesh and my crappy tree now cast the shadows once the lighting is baked.

Are you on the May build and it's working for you?

David-J
07-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Any idea why my materials ID's would get lost when I export from 3dsMax 2012 to UDK?

Neox
07-14-2012, 07:54 AM
how do you export? how are the ids created? sub materials or just applied? do they have names or different textures applied?

David-J
07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Neox. I think the problem was that even though I was using different materials, textures and ID's, some of them they were sharing the same name. I'm not entirely sure if that was the issue but when I changed the names of all the materials to being unique everything worked.

rockdude86
07-22-2012, 03:19 AM
so i started learning udk for a while now and have this very strange problem. i'm using the landscape system with a heightmap from worldmachine. made a material that uses a colormap from wm and 4 seperate textures overlayed to be painted on the terrain.

now when i want to paint them on the terrain using the landscape tools it seems i can not paint everywhere (i can paint in some places but others seem not accesible by pointing the mouse at it and the paint cursor also is not at the same place as the mouse cursor :( everything works just fine except for the vertex painting. does someone have a fix for this? have been searching the net for 2 days now and have not come up with an answer to this.

S_ource
08-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm going to have a model with several materials on it, and i was wondering does it use one lightmap per mesh or one per materials (if that makes sense).

Oniram
08-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm going to have a model with several materials on it, and i was wondering does it use one lightmap per mesh or one per materials (if that makes sense).

lightmaps are per mesh. all your materials will take up their own UV space in channel 1, but all UVs for all materials need to be put into channel 2 for the lightmap

S_ource
08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks, another question for reflective glass/window should i use a image for reflection or realtime reflection?

McGreed
08-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm expecting that you mean cubemaps vs real time reflections instead of baked ones.
It depends on what it should reflect and if its important. If you need to reflect characters, sure, realtime reflections can be needed, if its important, but just remember that realtime reflections are resource heavy.
Most of the times, you generate a cubemap from your environment, to get the best result, and use that for reflection.

Daft.Eng
08-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Come across a problem that I've had tons and never figured out how to sort it.
I seems to arise when I start increasing the number of objects using light maps.
Basically the light map LOD's randomly pop in and out as the player walks around the environment.

Video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYAjpmBFLE&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Did some more searching and the only fix I've found is setting bUseMaxQualityMode in UDKengine.ini to true. Not as elegant a solution as I'd have liked, but a solution nonetheless...

EDIT AGAIN: It seems this has stopped working for some strange reason so I'm back to square one.:(

fearian
08-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey quick Cascade question: Doesn anyone know if it's possible to get mesh particles to collide with each other?

AbominableSoul
08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Ive got a question for everyone: January 2012 - current builds of udk.

Now, i know that multiplayer was busted in the january build. For the Life of us, my friends and i tried and tired, but we couldnt set up any multiplayer matches on home networks or school networks. never connected.

firewalls disabled(to the dismay of profs and anger of the IT drones), UDK allowed through everything, port forwarding, direct ip connect, nothing connected for multiplayer.

Has the multiplayer function been fixed at all with the July 2012 build?

I'll be getting it anyway because of the Perforce...which is fucking awesome.

However, i still need to get multiplayer to work.
and ive run out of ideas...

so if its not fixed in this latest version..ill be slightly annoyed >.>

AbominableSoul
08-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Hey quick Cascade question: Doesn anyone know if it's possible to get mesh particles to collide with each other?

not at my comp to check now...but there should be a Collision node that you can add to the particles via right clicking it in cascade.

terrybuchan
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Hello everyone. I'm having some problems regarding the lighting in a project i am working on. The issue i have is with doors within a corridor. Now these doors are Skeletal Meshes and have custom animation on them they can be walked through. They are being lit by their own dynamic lights. Everything else is made up of static meshes.

One of these meshes doesn't seem to be lighting correctly, and all the others are. The problem is that the closer you get to the object, it starts to get darker and darker. Almost as if it is LODing in a darker texture or something. I've attached some images:

Here is what the mesh looks like from a distance (semi-ok):

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/stjimmy7777/setup1.jpg

And when we get closer:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/stjimmy7777/setup2.jpg

I've got no idea why this is happening, since i have identical meshes in the vicinity and they are lighting fine, but only this one behaves in correctly. Although if i drag a different mesh to the area, they behave the same!

Another shot of the scene:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/stjimmy7777/setup.jpg

I've also got a shot of the settings within the Skeletal Mesh. The main options that seem to effect the lighting are 'Synthesis SHLight' and 'Light Environment Component'. The current settings i have seem to get the mesh to light correctly, until the camera moves that is.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/stjimmy7777/settings.jpg

I thought it could be lightmapping issues, but since this mesh is recieving dynamic light that doesn't come into play, right?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my problem.

Jacky
08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Did you disable Light Environment Component on purpose? Also, i'd check if lighting channels are set corretly just in case.

terrybuchan
08-16-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reply Jacky. I did some research on Light Environment Components and seems like they are needed, i achieved a better resut with it on and deleteing my dynamc lights.

Incidently, does anyone know how to tell a BSP object not to recieve shadows? I can work around this by telling objects near it not to cast shadows, but they then stop recieving shadows themselves.

S_ource
08-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Hey i'm having a problem with lights shafts in udk sometime when you play the level they get offset or something. Anyone know why?

In game
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq219/Sourcemapper/corridor_render_05.jpg
In editor
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq219/Sourcemapper/corridor_render_06.jpg

Daft.Eng
08-17-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm having some strange problems with framerate issues.

If I choose to 'Play from here', the framerate hovers around 70 FPS.
But when I choose 'Play on PC', the framerate struggles to hit 30 FPS.

Oh, It's also worth noting that It's a UDK wide problem for me, I've tried multiple maps and they always perform worse when choosing 'Play On PC'.

Tekoppar
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Whenever I try to add a new terrain layer the current paint gets screwed up and I get black squares all over the terrain that can't be fixed unless I remove the new terrain.

AbominableSoul
08-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Whenever I try to add a new terrain layer the current paint gets screwed up and I get black squares all over the terrain that can't be fixed unless I remove the new terrain.

If you can, use Landscape as Terrain is eventually going to be phased out i believe.

However, if you are using landscape and this happens, its because:

a) the material isnt set up properly

b) you have to paint the landscape after you apply the material. sometimes when you apply it, it will go black. once you start painting, the areas you paint will be fine, the rest will be black. i usually just zoom out and paint the whole landscape piece at once and then go in and do the details.

Hopefully that helps..unless you used Terrain...because I've only used landscape XD

Tekoppar
08-23-2012, 03:01 PM
I converted it to landscape. The only problem now is that LOD's destroy the landscape completely. Is there anyway I can at least quadruple the LOD range? My "small" rivers dissapears unless I'm actually standing in them.

AbominableSoul
08-24-2012, 03:51 AM
hmm...are the rivers painted onto the landscape ooor have you made little valleys in the landscape and put a water material over them?

InProgress
08-25-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm getting pixelation on my textures when I look at them in UDK's viewport. I tried the Defer Compression as well as the LOD Group workarounds, at both the spec and diffuse textures, but the pixelation is still there. The diffuse look alright in unlit mode, so I'm thinking that the problem is related to the spec map. Could anyone help out with this?

http://i.imgur.com/2A4TE.jpg

Tekoppar
08-25-2012, 02:14 PM
hmm...are the rivers painted onto the landscape ooor have you made little valleys in the landscape and put a water material over them?

Made little valleys, but I decided to continue working with the terrain editor instead of the landscape one since landscape don't support tessellation. Also found a solution to my problem above, but don't know if it actually works or not haven't tested yet but that is to delete the material layers and start over.

riot
08-30-2012, 07:37 AM
I'm having a small problem with the lightmass in UDK. Today I have added some specular maps in my scene and tweaked them a little bit, added a spotlight to be able to see some nice lighting with the camera's angle, everything went perfect until I rebuilt the lighting (I had the lighting built before adding specularity to the material). Before rebuilding the specularity worked fine, when the spotlight wasn't baked, but after it was baked, it all dissapeared and looked like when there was no spotlight. Here are some screenshots of the issue:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/243/2/f/baking1_by_skate54-d5d1zmm.png
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/243/2/a/baking2_by_skate54-d5d1znk.png
So, is there a way to tell lightmass to not build a specific light, to let it be as it is (dynamic) before building? But only that light, not all the scene.

OMGiFARTED
08-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm having a small problem with the lightmass in UDK. Today I have added some specular maps in my scene and tweaked them a little bit, added a spotlight to be able to see some nice lighting with the camera's angle, everything went perfect until I rebuilt the lighting (I had the lighting built before adding specularity to the material). Before rebuilding the specularity worked fine, when the spotlight wasn't baked, but after it was baked, it all dissapeared and looked like when there was no spotlight. Here are some screenshots of the issue:

So, is there a way to tell lightmass to not build a specific light, to let it be as it is (dynamic) before building? But only that light, not all the scene.

We some more info to help you out. Can you send screens for your shader work. Also, how many lights do you have set up in your scene? What are they? And yes...you can have a specific lights light only specific things.

I also saw your other post. There is a shader network that uses vertex painting so you can get a moss over the ground looking good.

riot
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
We some more info to help you out. Can you send screens for your shader work. Also, how many lights do you have set up in your scene? What are they? And yes...you can have a specific lights light only specific things.

I also saw your other post. There is a shader network that uses vertex painting so you can get a moss over the ground looking good.

At the moment I have only 2 lights, a dominant directional light and a spotlight, but I don't want it to light specific things, I just want lightmass to ignore it at baking, so it remains a dynamic light (and that way later on when I'll add more foliage and props the specularity remains on the ground and I'll be able to have some nice shadows also :) ), because when I build lighting the specularity in the ground dissapears. Thanks for the suggestion about vertex paint, I will try to add that to my shader :). Well, here's a screenshot of my shder network. It uses MLM_Custom: Screenshot(huge) (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/243/a/9/baking3_by_skate54-d5d40e1.png)

SirCalalot
08-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I know I've seen it mentioned on Polycount before, but I don't think anyone had a solution at the time.

My question is, why can I not drag items from the Content Browser into my scene which were imported using .fbx?
Similarly, I can't drag Materials onto the .fbx-imported Static Meshes either.

Is this just something I'm going to have to put up with?

David-J
08-31-2012, 01:10 PM
I have been dragging fbx static meshes from the content browser into my scene all the time. I have January's UDK. What build do you have?

SirCalalot
09-01-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm using the current build, "UDK-2012-07".
As far as I'm aware, it hasn't worked for months (for me, at least).

blankslatejoe
09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
You could always hold-S+Left Click with those meshes, Calalot. It's quicker than the dragging method anyway, iho

SirCalalot
09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
This information pleases me.
@blankslatejoe - I thank you sir! :D

doggett
09-23-2012, 03:25 AM
At the moment I have only 2 lights, a dominant directional light and a spotlight, but I don't want it to light specific things, I just want lightmass to ignore it at baking, so it remains a dynamic light

Have you looked through the light's properties? [F4]
ForceDynamicLight should still be an option.

riot
09-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Have you looked through the light's properties? [F4]
ForceDynamicLight should still be an option.
Yes, but I only found parameters to cast shadows on dynamic objects, no parameters that forces lightmass to ignore the light at baking, I'll try to enable some of those parameters related to dynamic objects, not sure about them but I'll try it. I've tried ForceDynamicLighting aswell but in the distance the shadows looked really weird, with stripes so I left it.

KarlWrang
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I just thought I'd ask here before starting a thread:
I currently only have two point lights in the scene.
Seems to be some weird sort of angular shading.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15123461/polycunt/smoothingerror.jpg

MarianneM
09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
KarlWrang - point light, light a limited surface. If they are too small prepare for large shadow.
-You can bake the lighting and/or bake the lightmap resolution on the surface and mesh. It may remove pixelated shadow or making them less preominent
------
I'm doing a pseudo(because it have a certain deepness) 2.5D sidescroller, with a fixed camera

So do it exist a way to move the character depending on the camera position instead of the player position?

Like you push W to move forward no matter what position you are. Because if the guy face the right side if I push the W button he move to the right. If it back on the camera pushing the W button will move him forward and so one

Le_Québecois
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi GuyZ
I am new in UDK and
I would dlike to know where i can find a lot of information(web site,online classe ect,) and tuto about Cascade for gaming fx in UDK.
Thx for your answer !!

Santewi
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi GuyZ
I am new in UDK and
I would dlike to know where i can find a lot of information(web site,online classe ect,) and tuto about Cascade for gaming fx in UDK.
Thx for your answer !!

On the UDN site. They don't really have tutorials, but they do have lots of examples and technical explanations of things.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FXArtistHome.html

Dibbz
09-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey guys wondering if you can help me with this problem I've got.

I want to use the foliage tool to place a static mesh around my scene but I want the instances to use a few different material instances I've created but I can't seem to work out how to do it.

Right now the foliage tool is just painting the static mesh with the master material I have assigned to it and there is no way I can seem to select and assign a different material to an instance. Any way I can get it to randomly assign some of the other material instances I have created?

I really don't want to place each static mesh manually to get around this.

Torch
09-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi GuyZ
I am new in UDK and
Thx for your answer !!

I would say check out Eat 3D, 3D Motive and Imbue FX as a starting point :)

Jacky
09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey guys wondering if you can help me with this problem I've got.

I want to use the foliage tool to place a static mesh around my scene but I want the instances to use a few different material instances I've created but I can't seem to work out how to do it.

Right now the foliage tool is just painting the static mesh with the master material I have assigned to it and there is no way I can seem to select and assign a different material to an instance. Any way I can get it to randomly assign some of the other material instances I have created?

I really don't want to place each static mesh manually to get around this.

You could create 2-3(how many you want) copies of the object, apply material instances to them and then put them in the foliage and paint by giving each object a random value.

Dibbz
09-27-2012, 11:20 AM
You could create 2-3(how many you want) copies of the object, apply material instances to them and then put them in the foliage and paint by giving each object a random value.

Ahhh I feel so dumb. It's so obvious, thanks for helping out. :)

GILBoY
09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
hey guys i need some help I am looking for a way to make a WET material on UDK like this

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/MaterialExamples/ex_wet_anim.gif

i already seen several tutorials but none are very clear on how to do any suggestions!?

Torch
09-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Just testing out a mesh in UDK with a 512 texture (basic stuff, looks fine in Maya) and seem to be getting some horrible compression, any idea how to change it? When I re-import the texture it looks fine, as soon as I go to save package it goes back to being gash. Any help appreciated :)

http://i.imgur.com/JtOme.jpg

McGreed
09-28-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi GuyZ
I am new in UDK and
Thx for your answer !!

There is also http://www.3dbuzz.com, where there is a lot of free video tutorials.

Daft.Eng
09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Another UDK lighting problem, I'm really not liking how these pop up out of nowhere...

Basically, parts of my scene are being strangely lit, everything except ceiling and floor is being lit using vertex lighting, I extended my scene a bit earlier and all of a sudden the lighting has broken in some areas.

An image to better illustrate my problem, on top all is fine, in the lower screenshot something has gone horribly wrong.
These areas share very similar geometry and identical lighting, all was fine earlier until I extended the scene in another area...any help?

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/249/brokenlighting.png

Santewi
09-28-2012, 08:19 AM
all was fine earlier until I extended the scene in another area...any help?

I have a feeling you might've moved those things outside your LightmassImportanceVolume.

KarlWrang
09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
KarlWrang - point light, light a limited surface. If they are too small prepare for large shadow.
-You can bake the lighting and/or bake the lightmap resolution on the surface and mesh. It may remove pixelated shadow or making them less preominent

Yeah, must have been something weird like that. Thannks! :)

SirCalalot
09-30-2012, 10:18 AM
hey guys i need some help I am looking for a way to make a WET material on UDK like this

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/MaterialExamples/ex_wet_anim.gif

i already seen several tutorials but none are very clear on how to do any suggestions!?
Didn't the place where you got the above image help? (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialExamples.html#Wet)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/MaterialExamples/ex_wet_full.jpg

The problem with the above method is that the "water" will always run from top to bottom on an object's UVs. Meaning that a complex unwrap will produce some odd results.
To get around this, I made a material that instead assigns the water effect to cylindrical UVs that are created in the material. It will then create 'pooling' effects where the water will rest in crevices on top of an object.
I also went about the effect in a different manner, using BumpOffset nodes to create a distortion effect as well as adding the ability to vertex paint in dry areas on the object.

Here is my Material graph from UDK, hopefully it is easy to understand:

http://i.imgur.com/jWW9n.jpg

SirCalalot
09-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Another UDK lighting problem, I'm really not liking how these pop up out of nowhere...

Basically, parts of my scene are being strangely lit, everything except ceiling and floor is being lit using vertex lighting, I extended my scene a bit earlier and all of a sudden the lighting has broken in some areas.

An image to better illustrate my problem, on top all is fine, in the lower screenshot something has gone horribly wrong.
These areas share very similar geometry and identical lighting, all was fine earlier until I extended the scene in another area...any help?

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/249/brokenlighting.png
What is the wireframe like on the models which use vertex lighting?
As it will only measure accurate lighting on the exact position of the vertices on your meshes. The engine will then create a linear gradient between the lighting values of three vertices to shade a polygon.

If the exact same mesh is lighting in a completely different manner, you may possibly need to rebuild lighting again to clear the baked lighting information on those meshes. Failing that, check View > World Properties > Lightmass > Force No Precomputed Lighting and build lighting again to see if the issue persists even then.

Hope that helps, mate.

Daft.Eng
10-01-2012, 03:30 AM
What is the wireframe like on the models which use vertex lighting?
As it will only measure accurate lighting on the exact position of the vertices on your meshes. The engine will then create a linear gradient between the lighting values of three vertices to shade a polygon.

If the exact same mesh is lighting in a completely different manner, you may possibly need to rebuild lighting again to clear the baked lighting information on those meshes. Failing that, check View > World Properties > Lightmass > Force No Precomputed Lighting and build lighting again to see if the issue persists even then.

Hope that helps, mate.

Thanks, the problem disappeared when I set the lighting build quality to preview, but persisted every time I set it back to medium.
Saying that, I just toggled Force No Precomputed Lighting on and off and gave it a quick medium build again and everything's back to normal.

MarianneM
10-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Guys I want to import the new texture for my particle system but it always say: import failed.

Additional info:
-It's not about the map or package it don't even work on any new package
-It's some 256x256 Targa files named fire-2 and fire_mask-2

blankslatejoe
10-03-2012, 06:58 AM
hm.....make sure it's actually 256x256--the importer will fail on off sizes. I think it will also fail if the color mode is set to like...grayscale or anything weird in photoshop. Stick with the RBG color mode.

I'm not positive, but TGA's also might fail if they're not set to 24 or 32bit (basically 3channel or 4channel). I dunno for sure.

MarianneM
10-03-2012, 07:24 AM
^Thanks, it was just a tiny proportion typo. Now I corrected it to 256x256

MarianneM
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Guy? Anyone know a way to share UDK level/map file on the internet? Because my mario UDK level is now playable and I want to share it, like this guy http://crashbandicoothd.blogspot.ca/

solarSailor
10-12-2012, 04:57 PM
recently I decided my enviroment needed dust in the air so I have been searching for a good deatailed particle tut, I have just recently seen one on Eat 3d and that was okay at best.:poly127:

Im sure there are others who will hear my call. :poly122:

blankslatejoe
10-12-2012, 06:06 PM
mariannem--look at UDN's page for cooking/packing the game using the UnrealFrontend tool--it should be able to create a standalone .exe installer file you.

MarianneM
10-13-2012, 01:17 PM
done. but when I open and save the .exe the camera stay jammed and don't move along the player contrary to what happen UDK editor

blankslatejoe
10-15-2012, 06:44 AM
that could be a ton of different things--you might simply just need to connect the matinee to a level-loaded event in kismet? Of, you might need to make sureyou have a director group to switch the camera from the player cam. If you search on UDN, there's a cinematic/matinee tutorial that should get you going.

joeriv
10-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Got this annoying bug for a while, and google/this forum doesn't seem to turn up a solution:

When I am editing a material in the material editor I get this annoying "flicker", where the window kind of "flickers" between the material editor and the viewport.

And at the same time, the material preview is also doing weird (also a sort of flicker between that and the window/viewport behind it.

Anyone has any idea as to how to solve it, or the cause?

BARDLER
10-17-2012, 12:46 AM
I haven't used UDK with the new updated normal map rendering from xnormal. Is there anything special I have to do from Maya when exporting my mesh to xnormal? The settings they show on the website are for 3DS Max.

blankslatejoe
10-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Joeriv---I've seen that before I think, but I don't remember what was done to fix it--I think a programmer fixed it. You could try updating your graphics driver, or testing on an older UDK install to see if the problem was in that one.

joeriv
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Well I just found out that switching to DX11 solves it.

So I am wondering, if I just make some maps for myself, and don't use the dx11 specific features (and since I'm taking my first steps in UDk I don't even know what those are), does it matter if I use 11 or 9?

Gonna test out some other drivers in meanwhile, atm using a beta driver because of playing GW2 a while ago, maybe that is the cause.

SirCalalot
10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
DX11 is pretty much backwards compatible with DX9, so it shouldn't matter if you don't use any of the fancy new features.

One thing that I remember being an issue though was that a SceneCaptureCubeMapActor won't function properly in DX11, only capturing one side of the "cube".
So be wary if you're using this method for generating Cube Maps and reflections.

Obscura
10-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone, I have symmetrical mesh for a foosball figure.As you can see, there are some specular seams, at the symmetry.I searched a lot for the solution, and i found one of them (cut symmetry, where the surface is flat), but this doesnt work with that mesh. Any suggestion?
http://imageshack.us/a/img707/7619/specularseams.jpg

SirCalalot
10-19-2012, 02:41 AM
It might solve the problem if you change the lightmap UV channel in UDK to '0' and then save the standard UV set to '1', effectively swapping them round.

I can't remember the exact reason why this helps, but it was something to do with how UDK stores lighting data.

Obscura
10-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Hi SirCalalot! I tried this, but nothing has changed:(

JWilson
10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I was having this exact problem with one of my models a few months ago. There are several possible problems, but for me, inverting the green channel fixed the particular problem I was having. Good luck!

fearian
10-24-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm afraid that the best results will come from remapping your UV's and moving the seam somewhere asymmetrical and, as you said, cutting down a flat surface. As this looks like a table football guy, you could hide the seam by either adding a detail normal map, if he's fairly large, but if he is tiny on screen then don't even worry about it! noone will notice.

rahrahfez
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
how can i create a pop up h.u.d when clicking on an object at the object's position in scaleform and UDK?

blankslatejoe
10-26-2012, 05:52 AM
that's not a small task Rahrah, and will likely involve you diving into unrealscript. Here's a gem that goes over a chunk of the work though: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsCreatingAMouseInterface.html

rahrahfez
10-27-2012, 09:36 AM
thanks for the help blankslatejoe, i really appreciate it

Arthus
11-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Hello, is there any way to force lighting to treat this meshes like one big object??

Santewi
11-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Hello, is there any way to force lighting to treat this meshes like one big object??

Yes, if you group the meshes and then right-click -> merge, UDK will automatically create one mesh out of them as well as texture and lightmap UVs.

However, if you're doing that because of the lighting issues, I'd suggest you to fix your lightmaps instead.

timotronprime
11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Quick question regarding the UDK Material Editor:

The AnisotropicDirection input is greyed out, how do I make it "active" or useable?

Thanks.

Santewi
11-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Quick question regarding the UDK Material Editor:

The AnisotropicDirection input is greyed out, how do I make it "active" or useable?

Thanks.

Set lighting mode to Anisotropic.

Darklights
11-22-2012, 04:36 AM
Hello!

I still personally consider myself a beginner to intermediate user of UDK, and have yet to dabble in UnrealScript, but would wish to understand the following;

I am interested in creating a crumbling building, and I understand that PhysX Lab import may offer the best result. However, how should I go about doing this if I want the asset to be keyed to animate in Matinee? I want the building to destruct the same every single time I play the Director track. Should I create an invisible KActor that creates the same force upon the PhysX asset every time? Or is that too heavy on performance and there's a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance. :)

terrybuchan
11-22-2012, 12:21 PM
One for the kismet gurus:

I have a door (skeletal mesh) that opens when i key is pressed in kismet using a custom animation. However, that key is the same button to open any door in my level, so when i press the key, all doors open.

Is there a way i can combine the key with a trigger or some sort of volume so that when i am next to a door and press the key only the door i am next to opens?

Thanks

MarianneM
11-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I try to export my skeletal mesh character (in FBX format of course) in UDK but it alway say import failed

blankslatejoe
11-26-2012, 08:20 PM
terry- you could gate the action with the volume--that is, when you're inside a trigger volume, and you press the keypress, then it opens only the door associated with that volume.
What you'd want to research to help you set up the kismet for this is "attach to event", under actions. Alternatively, you could set up a volume around the door, and have that volume trigger a gate that allows the keypress to open the door. If you prefab the door+kismet combo you'd have it working everywhere in your game pretty quick. Goodluck!

MarianneM -- Does your file name have any spaces or illegal characters? Try it with a REALLY simple filename.

MarianneM
11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
When I try to cook my UDK level it Crash

blankslatejoe
11-30-2012, 02:32 PM
cook be a hundred different things, Marianne. What's the error in the UnrealFrontend output log say? (It's the window on the bottom section of the frontend)

MarianneM
11-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Isn't a error(or is it?) when I launch the game after it's finish cooking(It strange the ouput log show no error) the UDK windows go blank and I receive another windows that told me that build with UDK have crashed

blankslatejoe
11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
are you sure its related to cooking? Can you open UDK normally?

MarianneM
12-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Yes I can open UDK normally. I cooked another level and it cooked perfectly. It's only this one that don't work

blankslatejoe
12-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Hm...ok that helps a little.
-Are you doing any custom scripting?
-Are all your packages and maps saved inside of the UDKGame/Content/ folder?
-Are you streaming/loading sub levels?
-Are you using a custom Gametype other than UTGame or UDKGame (if you don't know, then you probably aren't)

MarianneM
12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
-I'm not at the level of scripting yet
-check
-no sub level
-It juse an simple deahmatch level one UDKGame

But now I got this nice message when I try to launch the game
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2012/48/1354391366-cook-fail.jpg