Author : tsmith3d

User Name
    Password

Register | Lost password?

A password will be mailed to you.

Retrieve password

A confirmation mail will be sent to your e-mail address.

• News Gamasutra, Salary Survey Results

July 22, 2014 by Mark Dygert

Gamasutra announced the results of their 2014 salary survey

“Gamasutra recently polled over 4,000 game developers worldwide, asking them the question: How much money did you make?”

The News

The FULL results (.pdf format)

18 Comments

1. Macrow on July 23, 2014 at 4:03 am

Interesting, but nothing surprising.

2. Tits on July 23, 2014 at 1:51 pm

:/ there is still a huge gap between male and female, I wonder if this is present across all country.
      When I compared my salary with male collegue before I never notice any inegality (except drop coming from different position or experience level)

3. vickgaza on July 23, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I`m curious, and excuse my noobish question, the salary brackets mentioned in the PDF , are they before or after tax ?

4. Chillydog12345 on July 23, 2014 at 10:15 pm

@Tits
      Maybe because there are more males with more experience, hence why the average for the male sex is higher.

5. skullsplitter on July 24, 2014 at 1:43 am

@Chillydog12345:
      Far simpler, sadly: men are far more direct and overconfident, which makes them ask for higher salaries in the first place. It's accepted, they get away with it while if a womand tries it she might get laughed at. Sad, but true in most instances.

Personally, I'd opt for salary levels if I were to run a studio so this wouldn't be an issue.

But that's me, working in Dutch psychiatric care for a meager 29.000 a year.

6. Macrow on July 24, 2014 at 12:06 pm

@skullsplitter

That might play a factor in some cases, but I think it comes down to other factors. For instance, various studies reveal that men in the workforce take fewer days off. The reason is simple: Men have fewer reasons to take days off.

Typically, women take more time off to deal with issues like children, elderly relatives at home, pregnancy/maternal leave, and women are 42% more likely to take a personal/sick day off than men, according to a study by the Office for National Statistics in the UK.

It's also been shown that women in the workplace work fewer hours, as they account for most of part-time employment. Men not only take more full-time employment positions, but they tend to go for the riskier positions, which generally pay significantly more.

Most brain surgeons are male. Most mental health care therapists are female. But brain surgery's the much more complicated discipline, being the far riskier job with harder education and higher urgency, which merits significantly more money. Scientists have attributed this factor to males' neurological tendency to being risk-takers.

An internal Hewlett Packard study found that women only applied for jobs when they had 100 percent of the qualifications for that job. Men, meanwhile, applied when they had 60 percent of the qualifications. The men aimed higher and got greater reward for it. Companies place greater confidence in those who work longer and take good risks, which reflects in general salary difference. Even as you say, men are more direct with asking for salaries, that goes back to being risk-takers.

But, conversely, it's also been shown in a few studies that women who work careers without issues like pregnancy and family make noticeably more than women who do, with salaries comparable to their male counterparts. When women performed like their male counterparts, they typically saw the results of their male counterparts.

There are legitimate issues of gender gap out there, but lot of the gender wage gap issue is a disregard to statistical evidence of the factors involved. Women can make more money–they just typically take less time and fewer risks to better do it.

7. Macrow on July 24, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Last post from me. ^_^"

I also personally think some of the issue here results from what I can only call a "career culture" fostered from childhood.

Many men and women alike are choosing this industry thanks to its wider availability of education and new accessibility of advanced tools. This, along with this industry being one of the fastest-growing in entertainment, contributes to game development's appeal as a career option where it might wouldn't have, say, even just ten years ago.

But still, for many, if not most, guys in the industry, they grew up in a culture of game dev long before its modern appeal. I was only 13 when I wanted to become a Miyamoto. I've had like 14 years since of getting familiar with my career path. My case is common among other guys in this industry. But not too many ladies can say the same. Many determined their path in the industry later in life. Long experience doesn't at all necessarily translate into talent, but I think such "culture" translates into where the industry's confidence lies.

You have to wonder why we just don't see very many fantastic female character designers like Tits around yet. Or why you'd still be lucky to find a female game programmer. I think it's because the industry has a perception of males enjoying a "career culture" longer, where most guys started practicing game creation in their early teens. Compared to that for the ladies, where you'll be lucky to find a woman with even 5 years of industry-related experience.

The ladies have a lot of stigma to refute. I really hope it gets easier for them.

8. stickadtroja on July 25, 2014 at 9:45 am

not agreing with you here macrow, there is a gap between male and female salaries in society as a whole, all these factors you mention does probably affect it, but its a much larger issue, the mayor part of it that is that men has been raised from birth to be ambitios risk-takers, and claiming instead of asking for things, wheres as women are raised to be content with what they are given, and that we value male dominated fields higher that female dominated ones.

im just saying, the things you list are just symptoms of societys view of what is male and female.