Author : tsmith3d

User Name
    Password

Register | Lost password?

A password will be mailed to you.

Retrieve password

A confirmation mail will be sent to your e-mail address.

• News Max Hotbox Open Beta

July 22, 2011 by Mark Dygert

Andreas Meissner has released Max Hotbox out into the wild. It’s like Maya’s hotbox but for max, its one of the things I miss most about Maya.

If you’ve ever used Maya’s Hotbox (spacebar) and loved it and wanted some of the same functionality in 3dsmax well the wait is finally over.

Download and more info: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-hotbox

Talk about it here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87007

How to start Max Hotbox:

• download
    • unpack
    • drag and drop the “MaxHotbox.mse” file into your viewport
    • hold down Spacebar on 3ds Max mainwindow

There is much more functionality than just Hotboxing so be sure to fully explore it. Also don’t forget about Outliner which blows the doors off of the standard layer manager in 3dsmax.

14 Comments

1. [HP] on July 22, 2011 at 9:40 am

This is good, word of warning tho:

Does not work with 3ds Max 2012 (also Hotfix 1 for 3ds Max 2012 does not help)

2. Justin_Meisse on July 22, 2011 at 9:56 am

But how will I selection lock toggle now!? This is a partial joke, it was the biggest annoyance when I moved to Max from Maya but now I use it all the time.

3. Mark Dygert on July 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

haha yea, that got me too. I switched spacebar to "maximize viewport toggle" since I kept locking selection all the time. Pity this doesn't work in 2012 hopefully its something as simple as needing to be recompiled like a lot of other scripts.

4. [HP] on July 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

Yeah me too, something I learned with XSI. Spacebar instead of Alt+W

5. gsokol on July 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

Holy crap this is awesome. I will definitely be giving this a go .

6. Mark.N on July 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

This is awesome, my favorite piece of Maya ported over to Max. Definitely going to be spending some time with it later today.

7. MrOneTwo on July 22, 2011 at 11:27 am

Shame no 2012 love :(

8. Noors on July 22, 2011 at 11:59 am

2012 lack of love is due to some failure with dotNet from Autodesk. Wait and…wait maybe :/

9. VidGameDude on July 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm

i don't get it…
      what does it do exactly? all i saw was just extruding objects =/

10. MrOneTwo on July 25, 2011 at 4:27 am

Its a tool that lets you extrude in 1007 ways … you tried to click on scriptspot link and maybe… … … READ?!

11. Mark Dygert on July 25, 2011 at 9:06 am

VidGameDude wrote:
      i don't get it…
      what does it do exactly? all i saw was just extruding objects =/
      ____________________
      It's a customization tool. It allows you to put commands you constantly access in a menu that pops up under your mouse when you hold a key. That way you're not constantly having to run across the screen to the command panel to click a button, it can show up right under your mouse.

12. Lachtan on July 27, 2011 at 2:11 am

Wow this is great, this wold definitely speed up my modeling.

13. kaze369 on July 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I'm not sure why people are having problems with Max 2012 because it seems to be working for me.

14. SergioSantos on August 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

I do the same with graphite floating tabs,
      and since I switched to scene explorer I don't use outliner anymore
      I just think that is better to use what you already have in the app.